What Is This (Ninja) Movie?

Michael L.

When I was a kid in the early '80s a local TV station would play a ninja movie that I think had Henry Sanada in it (they played Ninja Wars regularly, too). I don't remember anything about the story or plot except that when a new character central to the plot was introduced there would be a freeze frame and the picture would turn into a woodblock style printing of the character with their name (in Japanese) and the narrator would announce something like "The Korean Ninja, So In So." I am pretty sure that one was a Korean or Chinese ninja (maybe both). And I think one was a monkey or hiding out as a performer posing as the Monkey King. What is that? Is that Shogun's Ninja? It used to be on all the time on rainy Saturday afternoons sandwiched between a Ma and Pa Kettle film and a Gamera movie.

I'm pretty sure that was "Renegade Ninjas" (Sanada Yukimura no Boryaku). They freeze-framed each ninja when they introduced them just like you described.

It turns out that I have Shogun's Ninjas, so I'll check that out, but I don't think it is it (since I don't have the movie I am trying to find anymore; I had it on VHS).

Is Renegade Ninjas also called Shogun's Assassins or some other Shogun Assassin variation? Because I was thinking that the tape I had was titled something like Shogun Assassin even though it had nothing to do with the Baby Cart series.

Its really hard to narrow it down to which film it could be I haven't seen Shogun's Ninja in awhile so I wasn't sure if it really was that. That is why I posted a video to see if it rang any bells. Henry Sanada did star in a quite a few films with Sonny Chiba that is why I was leaning towards that film.

I'm quite certain that it's "Renegade Ninjas". The film is about The Sanada Ten Braves, a group of ninja that assist warlord Yukimura Sanada (played Hiroki Matsukata) in a quest to assassinate Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa (played by Kinnosuke Yorozuya).

The Sanada Ten Braves are as follows:

Sasuke Sarutobi (played by Teruhiko Aoi)

Juzo Kakei (played by Kensaku Morita)

Seikai Miyoshi (played by Yoko Akino)

Jinpachi Nezu (played by Fujita Okamoto)

Saizo Kirigakure (played by Minori Terada)

Kosuke Anayama (played by Shohei Hino)

Rokuro Unno (played by Guts Ishimatsu)

Isa Miyoshi (played by Hiroyuki Sanada)

Kamanosuke Yuri (played by Masataka Iwao)

Rokuro Mochizuki (played by Takashi Noguchi)

Isa Miyoshi and Seikai Miyoshi are the 2 Korean Ninja.

It's gotta be Renegade Ninja... it isn't Shogun's Ninja (watched it). The only problem is that it seems to be out of print!

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Has anyone here ever seen this?

It's been sat in my un-watched pile for year's, might be time to dig this one out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It's been sat in my un-watched pile for year's, might be time to dig this one out.

There's an unsubbed, uncut Japanese version on youtube, plus an edited English dub as well. I might check it out myself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Has anyone here ever seen this? @Takuma, I'm looking in your direction.

I haven't seen this. I will some day, for sure.

• Like 2