King and the Clown

Guest shaolindogpaw

Guest shaolindogpaw

i thought this movie was great. The visuals were top notch, and the story was fantastic. Alot of critics out there blast the movie because they said the main characters were gay? And that this was a gay korean movie?

I saw it as the main character being the protector of the feminine character because they were best freinds and he didn't like people bullying his best freind. That freindship is especially apparent in the scene when they pretend to be blind.

If you get a chance, go see this movie, i highly recommend it.

V0500203p_01.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shaolindogpaw

not very much M.A. at all but there are some great scenes of them performing stunts on a tight rope. And there are some extremely funny moments. Theres one guy with the name of, if i remember correctly, "6 dicks". Besides that its kind of a mix of an excellent drama and some comedic elements.

Guest shaolindogpaw

i thought it was great. it was unique and didnt have to rely on big flashy fight scenes or cgi to build the story. its hard to find solid dramatic films that are both original and rely on the director more than the effects. Some of my favorite movies are Kurosawa movies... the man was a genius. IMO 7 Samurai is in the top 5 greatest movies of all time across the board.

Guess im just bored with standard Hollywood drama blah:| . ie. guy falls for girl, loses girl, gets girl back in the end. or underdog makes comeback.

Guest The Running Man
i thought it was great. it was unique and didnt have to rely on big flashy fight scenes or cgi to build the story.

I don't know why you would feel that way when nothing in the movie gave it the opportunity to have them.

And by that definition then any films with action in them are never going to be real good movies.

Guess im just bored with standard Hollywood drama blah . ie. guy falls for girl, loses girl, gets girl back in the end. or underdog makes comeback.

Funny. Replace the "girl" part with "another boy" in your sentence and you basically got the structure of this movie.

Guest Chinatown Kid

SDP I just got the movie in the mail that you were nice enough to send, as soon as I get a chance to watch it I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again!

Guest shaolindogpaw

RM your taking everything out of context and you didnt grasp what i was trying to say. When did i say that action in a movie makes it a bad movie?

And some people think King and the Clowns story was purely about a gay king and his gay love interest which is very far from the truth. When you are able to look past that one single aspect of the movie you can see the movie for what it really is. A story about 2 best freinds trying to make it in a world that is dark and corrupt.

The ending is the best, how the character jokes about playing around at being blind.

Granted, this movie isn't for a broad audience, your going to not like it or love it, but you just cant hate it.

My point was that even though i love kung fu flicks/action movies heavy on the fight scene side, its nice to watch a movie once in a while that doesnt have those beautiful fight scenes but makes up for it with very deep story archs.

CTK: cool, i hope you like it. My favorite part is in the beginning with the shakespear references.

Guest The Running Man
RM your taking everything out of context and you didnt grasp what i was trying to say. When did i say that action in a movie makes it a bad movie?

The way you described it in your post with "big flasy fight scenes and cgi" makes it sound as you don't see that or the movies that have those scenes as legitimately good.

And some people think King and the Clowns story was purely about a gay king and his gay love interest which is very far from the truth. When you are able to look past that one single aspect of the movie you can see the movie for what it really is.

Dude, I am not prejudice against gays. I was able to look past it and didn't see a great movie. Sorry.

The ending is the best, how the character jokes about playing around at being blind.

The amount of over the top melodrama in that scene makes it near laughable in my opinion.

Granted, this movie isn't for a broad audience, your going to not like it or love it, but you just cant hate it.

I don't hate it...but there will be people that do like all things in the world.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Well I finally had a chance to watch this. I thought that for a drama it was pretty good. This isn't the sort of film I usually watch and it was a nice change of pace to see something different. I have to admit it was kinda slow paced and a little overlong, but it kept me interested in what was gonna happen next. The king sure was cruel and his wife was a bitch. I was glad to see their power get overthrown at the end. The King was definately gay as he was in love with the feminine looking boy, but was the feminine boy gay or just rather sissy acting? I never could figure it out. Anyways I wonder if the boy and his friend that had his eyes burned lived or did the people overthrowing the king kill them too as it just showed them in a freeze frame up in the air at the end. Again it was an interesting film and thank you SDP for allowing me the chance to see it.

Guest shaolindogpaw

thanks CTK, yeah i was kind of dissapointed with the ending, would have been better to tie up the loose ends a little better. As far as the feminine guy, i dont know, maybe he started off normal but then people teased him so much and then his acting troupe manager sort of forced him to be gay.

Archived