Ichi the Killer (2001)

Guest benj2006

Guest gorlank

The movie ain't boring, that's for sure. If masturbating psychotic killer nerds in turtle costumes appeal to you at all, go for it.

Not familiar with the HKL disc but you do want to get it with as little snipped out as possible. The HK disc had some of the more extreme scenes cut out.

Guest Chen Zhen

make sure u get the unrated version if u decide to buy this film. btw..if ur under the impression that this is a martial arts film or that it has any martial arts in it, thats where ur wrong. it is definetely a love it or hate it film...definetely not for everyone...if ur into lots of gore/sexually explicit scenes, with a fair share of s&m..then go for it..its interesting..thats for sure. personally i like the film.

the tokyo shock version is real good.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I seen it and was grossed out. If you like disturbing and sleazy type pics it's a must see, but this kind of film is not to my tastes. Lots of sadism and torture.

Guest shaolindogpaw

it wasn't the type of movie i would normally watch. Lots of senseless violence and shock value, at times it was unconfortable. I like some movies like that if its so over the top that it becomes funny like in "Riki-oh!" or has blood and guts but also has an interesting storyline like "Gozu"

btw, anyone seen Gozu... its pure insanity.

Guest Chen Zhen

a fantastic movie....if ur into gratuitous, over the top, gory type movies.

lots of disturbing scenes of torture, rape, etc....which wasnt what bothered me..it was the fact that most of the "controversial" scenes, just had no real purpose. almost felt like Miike put them in just for the sake of putting them in. not to mention that the ending makes no sense. but on the other hand, its brilliantly shot and the characters are very fascinating.

u'll either really like this movie, or hate it.

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

To me the most disturbing scene is the flashback to when the young school girl attempts to save Ichi from some bullies. What happens next and how Ichi feels about it was disturbing and really sad.

Then how Shinya Tsukamoto's character manipulates and exploits these "memories" within the fragile mind of Ichi for his own sick needs.

Other than a lot of the onscreen violence is kind if over the top and cartoonish with a couple of bad cgi enhance gore shots. Except for the violence against women that's some harsh stuff.

Guest drunkenmantis13

If you like sick Japanese stuff, you're more than served here! Miike's sickest most depraved film. Makes little sense though like stated by others. I dig it!

Btw, Gozu is quite cool.

Guest The Running Man

The movie is exaggerated in how violent it is and most people just jump on the bandwagon. None of it is disturbing really since, as been said, almost all the violence is cartoony, most of it takes place off screen, and the CGI was real bad. How anyone can get disturbed by that is beyond me.

Miike's Visitor Q is far more sick than this movie. And Gozu is one of Takeshi Miike's best films.

Guest Dahnamics

yall crazy, this movie was dope as hell..

my favorite part is when ol boy is "hangin out" while hes interrogated by the blonde dude about the whereaboutts of his boss..

One Armed Boxer

Yes, I'm resurrecting a thread that's been dormant for 15 years, but over at the BBC there's a new feature on 'Ichi the Killer' putting the production into context ahead of its showing at the British Film Institute's Japan 2021 season tomorrow - 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211026-how-ichi-the-killer-brought-ultra-violence-to-the-mainstream

• Like 3

On 10/30/2021 at 11:41 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Yes, I'm resurrecting a thread that's been dormant for 15 years, but over at the BBC there's a new feature on 'Ichi the Killer' putting the production into context ahead of its showing at the British Film Institute's Japan 2021 season tomorrow - 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211026-how-ichi-the-killer-brought-ultra-violence-to-the-mainstream

I didn't read that very carefully, but has Ichi been finally allowed uncut in the UK? Or are they screening a cut version?

I rewatched the film a few years ago, and oddly enough, a few scenes aside it now felt more like a '15' film than an '18' film, let alone a banned film. I think a lot of stuff we now see in mainstream Netflix releases and R-rated horror movies feels more disturbing than most of the comic book style mayhem in Ichi.

• Like 2