Movies in which the end fight isn't the best fight scene

Apanblod

Just as the title suggests, I was hoping we could share some Kung Fu movies that have one or several better fight sequences than the end fight (which is usually the main attraction of the movie). The end fight doesn't have to be bad or anything, just inferior in your opinion to some other fight before it.

I'll give you a few out of my head:

The Odd Couple - The weapon fight between Sammo and Lau Gar-Wing is one of the best I've seen and certainly better than the end fight.

7 Grandmasters - Once again, the weapon fight scene between Jack Long and who I think is Corey Yuen(?) is the best of the movie.

Killer Army The end fight is amazing, but IMO, the three preceding fights all look better, including the alley fight against Yu Tai-Ping and Tony Tam, the bench fight against Su Chien (gives me goose bumps every time) and what is one of my favorite battles of all time: the fight between Chiang Sheng together with Philip Kwok and Wang Li.

Morgoth Bauglir

Tom Yum Goong- pretty much every fight is better than the final fight.

Ninja in the Dragon’s Den- Conan Lee vs Sanada.

Crazy Girl Killer- how does a fight between Lo Rei and Chang Shan end up not being the best fight in the movie?---------------------------------- When it’s only 20 seconds long.

Operation Condor

Book of Heroes

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

Bad Blood

Both Ip man movies

SPL

Hellz Windstaff

Fearless Hyena (thought the fight with the spearman outdid the finale with Yen Shi Kwan)

Legend of Chen Zhen

Death Games

Shaolin vs Ninja

ShaOW!linDude
Ninja in the Dragon’s Den- Conan Lee vs Sanada.

Really? I like that fight.

The end fight of "Ong Bak 3". Totally lopsided and rather short. I expected more.

The end fight of JC's "Dragon Fist". Again, totally lopsided and short.

The end fight of "Pantyhose Hero". I love that movie but Sammo and the main villain's fight is essentially Sammo getting his butt kicked. It's a good butt-kicking but it's short and the fight just doesn't end as I thought it should.

Duel of the 7 Tigers- Casanova Wong only appears in a flashback scene but he moves faster than anyone else in the movie and lights things up with his trademark spinning kicks. Sorta makes you wish the movie had stayed in the flashback scene.

36th chamber of shaolin - Final fight is easily overshadowed by all the training sequences and Gordon Liu vs Lee Hoi San 1 and 2.

Black belt Karate- fights throughout the movie with the unknown Indonesian actors and guys like Bruce Liang and billy Chong are better than the uninspired finale with Lo Lieh.

Killer Meteor

FIST OF UNICORN: Unicorn vs Yasuaki Kuraata is epic. Shame its followed by 20mins of exposition and slow fights with the Western boxer and the old cripple.

THE YOUNG MASTER

probably actually backwards the first fight being best then getting worse thou the Hwang in Shik vs group of fighters was great.

BlackLamaFaction

Snake Deadly Act - I have to go with the first fight in this one......

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter - The last fight was a let down compared to the Philip Ko Fei vs. Gordon Lieu showdown.

Executioners from Shaolin- I'm not a big Lo Lieh fan but Chen Kuan Tai made the fights in the beginning work much better than the end fight which was pretty unspectacular.

Invincible Armor- It could have went longer but my favorite fight in this film is Philip Ko Fei vs. Hwang Jang Lee, the two old masters going at it. You don't see that too often.

Yakuza954 is so right about 36 Chambers. I also think 8 Diagram's end is overshadowed by Lau Kar Leung holding off the soldiers.

I definitely agree with "The Odd Couple" being mentioned. The first weapons fight between Sammo Hung and Lau Kar Wing is one of the greatest ever filmed. While the rest of the film only slightly pales in comparison, the first fight between these two legends is definitely the highlight.

"Shaolin Mantis." While the last fight is very enjoyable, I can't help but think some of the fights before it are a little better. Some of the weapons work is genuinely superb.

I'll go ahead and also agree with Odd Couple and Fist of Fury.

Also, Pedicab Driver...the Sammo and Lau Kar Leung fight was the best part of the movie.

Of the ones mentioned I definitely agree with 8th diagram pole fighter (ending is weird and furious, but can't compare to the epicness of the aforementioned pole-fight) 36th chamber of Shaolin (the end fight is kind of anti-climatic) and to a certain extent Snake Deadly Act (one of my favorite movies, but the end fight doesn't really compare to the first I admit)

Born Invincible The first two or three fights are outstanding, the latter half is great too, but not nearly as good.

The Rebellious Reign Same thing here, the first few fights are intricate, fast and fluent, whereas the rest is ok but not much else.

Legend of the Fox The sword duel between Philip Kwok and Lu Feng is hear-wrenchingly beautiful.

The Magnificent Butcher The end fight being great, there's no way it beats one of the best old-school (pun intended) fights ever filmed, the school-battle with Yuen Biao, Lam Ching-Ying, Wei Pai and the monkey pole-guy (forgot who that was). Legendary

Disagree on the Rebellious Reign shout, but hey ho!

Duel of the Seven Tigers

I think the Casanova Wong/Cliff Lok fight, and the heroes against Phillip Ko rumble, are a shade (only a shade, mind you) better than the final Lok/Ko battle. It's still excellent, though!

The Prodigal Son - the Lam Ching Ying vs Frankie Chan fight was better than the Yuen Biao vs Frankie Chan finale

I didn't think of it, but I kind of agree...I do like the way the last fight ends though.

I kind of feel like the restaurant fight in Drunken Master II is better than the end fight. Even though it doesn't have the big stunts (the burning coals) it also doesn't have Kenneth Lo or wirework and instead you get Lau Kar Leung and one of my favorite genre staples...destroying a restaurant.

In the movie Lion Vs Lion the best fight scene was Wang Lung Wei vs. Chien Yueh Sheng in the middle of the movie. Wang actually got killed by a stupid bouncing ghost in the dark which made the end scene hilarious....lol

How could I not think of the Lam Ching-Ying vs. Frankie Chan fight from Prodigal Son? Few fights beat that one.

Ok, one last contribution from me.

Snake in the monkey's shadow Horrible, horrible movie. Strangely enough, people seem to like it, whereas it just makes me want to throw my TV off the balcony. The first fight is at least decent.. no acceptable, though far from good, which makes it the best fight of the movie.

If snake in the monkey's shadow makes you want to throw your tv off a balcony, then plan to invest in some new tv's if you continue watching kung fu movies. Snake in the Monkey's Shadow is an above average old school kf movie. In its defense though, there's a longer version with an extra fight and extra snippets that's only in collector's hands at the moment.

• Like 1

If snake in the monkey's shadow makes you want to throw your tv off a balcony, then plan to invest in some new tv's if you continue watching kung fu movies. Snake in the Monkey's Shadow is an above average old school kf movie. In its defense though, there's a longer version with an extra fight and extra snippets that's only in collector's hands at the moment.

I've been watching Kung Fu-movies for 10 years or so now, and of course I've seen a lot worse than SITMS, but at least in those cases you haven't really had any expectations for them to be the least good, or they have been unintentionally hilarious. With SITMS I had high hopes since many people spoke well about it, and some even mentioned it as one of the best independents ever (coming to think about it, even Bey Logan held it in very high esteem in one of his commentaries for HKlegends). That's why I'm so disappointed, I really think the fights are genuinely bad, with the exception for the first one which is acceptable. Adding to that, the story is a sleeping pill and the comedy even more embarrassing than usual. If it's an above average old school kung fu movie is up to each individual to decide, there's hardly any objective scale to judge movies by.