Funimation’s Bastard Swordsman 1 and 2 English dubs- bad news

Morgoth Bauglir

The Silver Fox
Would I be happier if they didn't include a dub at all?

I'd still feel the same way. If there are original dubs for these movies they should have gotten them.

But don't you think if there was an original dub available that they would have gotten it, rather than spend a considerable sum to make a new one? It doesn't make economic sense on Funimation's part.

It would be alot to cheaper to just slap the old dub on the release so I don't think they intentionally dissed all the old school dub fans by spitefully not including the track. Either the the dub doesn't exist or it is unobtainable.

Changing the music!!!!!!! A crime in my book, they should be dragged out behind the barn and shot!!!!

Maybe copyright issues are the reason. We all know how much music is 'borrowed' in some of these movies.

Hey Toad, no disrespect intended, just my opinion is all. As Sheng stated, the Funi release bests the IVL in pretty much every way.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir
Maybe it was solicited, but never actually recorded?

That is possible.

Do you know if Soul of the Sword shows up on that Library list?

For Bastard Swordsman, after going through that thread, it seems like that no one had ever seen a dubbed Bastard Swordsman, except for some guy who's info is pretty much all a fabrication. One guy said he saw it in the theater in NYC with english subs. It was offered as a part of a black belt theater package that never came out. It's tough to say, but I think that all points to the dub not existing. It's a matter of opinion, I guess.

I don't think Soul of the sword has any original dub, and I don't think it's on the LOC list, he Shaw list, or in Jumper's list of dubs.

Morgoth Bauglir

Dammit. I was hoping for some sort of good news. Somebody needs to buy the boots and see if they really have the dubs. Who's it gonna be?:crossedlips:

The boot is subbed.

There was an obvious boot on EBAY recently that said it had the english dub. It looked like some Red Sun nonsense so it could have been an old dub.

Also how is it lame not to want to buy the Funimation release if it doesn't have the dub you want? Some people want the old english dub and if Funimation doesn't offer that and they try to pass off some new dub nobody will care about , screw them. I'm still waiting to hear if they at least got the right chinese track on it or not.

The Silver Fox
There was an obvious boot on EBAY recently that said it had the english dub. It looked like some Red Sun nonsense so it could have been an old dub.

Also how is it lame not to want to buy the Funimation release if it doesn't have the dub you want? Some people want the old english dub and if Funimation doesn't offer that and they try to pass off some new dub nobody will care about , screw them. I'm still waiting to hear if they at least got the right chinese track on it or not.

I think I've already explained my views in my previous post.

Could it be possible the audio tracks werent kept in the best shape or are just hard to find. Have been seeing post about just having Mandarin and no Cantonese version ,which is basically the same argument, except you know they exist but just werent added to some R1 releases. Is it poosible for someone with either dvd to post clip of the eng dub? thanks

hi---as this is BASTARD SWORDSMAN and RETURN OF release date can anyone who bought the disc confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a new dub and music. the reason i ask is , that according to hkflix the english versions are listed as mono---i'm sure if they added a new dub like they did with SOUL OF THE SWORD it would be stereo of some kind. i await your answer. thanks:neutral:

The soundtrack would be mono / stereo whatever it was released as. They just remove the Mandarin or Cantonese voice track and replace it with an English one, so the voice would always be mono i guess.

"Hey Toad, no disrespect intended, just my opinion is all. As Sheng stated, the Funi release bests the IVL in pretty much every way"

True. Our wording shouldnt have to knock others to make our own point. I know people who only watch these films if they have an english dub. Not me , but if thats how they enjoy them cool. Im happy with my ivl picture and the only reason for me to double dip would be the oringinal english dub. I own the ivl Disciples of 36 chambers ,but since DD has it with an original dub ill pick it up again. It should go without saying that everybody in R1 area supports R1 releases so if you dont own it already its highly recommended.

"No Cantonese on either disc? That's a bit dissapointing."

My fault HAZ, i really didnt make myself clear, I was talking about R1 releases in general. I dont know if BS has cantonese or mandarin lang.

"No Cantonese on either disc? That's a bit dissapointing."

My fault HAZ, i really didnt make myself clear, I was talking about R1 releases in general. I dont know if BS has cantonese or mandarin lang.

The re-issue of Opium & The KF Master was in Mandarin. No Canto, I think. DD has done the same thing. I've often wondered how many Shaw's have Canto soundtracks. I guess it's kind of like the Bastard Swordsman issue - we don't know conclusively if an og English dub exists, and Celestial won't enlighten us. That much is for sure.

Morgoth Bauglir
No Cantonese on either disc? That's a bit dissapointing.

For part 1 I think Mandarin might be the original language. I don't think there's a Cantonese track on any DVDs. For part 2 the Funimation version is the first one I've owned, but if Mandarin is the original language for part 1, I assume part 2 would be the same.

Morgoth Bauglir
I think pt 1 had both languages, canto & mandarin, but I might be wrong.

Looking on hkflix, they have 5 versions of part 1 and only the VCD has Canto.

Morgoth Bauglir

It says that for the box set, but it doesn't specify what each disc has. And the DVD listing combines it with the VCD once again not saying exactly what each disc has. I used to have the Deltamac DVD. Only Mandarin language.

Maybe copyright issues are the reason. We all know how much music is 'borrowed' in some of these movies.

It could be that, but it's more likely they didn't have a clean music track to master from for the dub, as the Mandarin track apparently has the original music.

Begining to believe Jumpers list was correct. When these dubbers are interviewed, how come theyre asked about specific films instead of "Did you dub all the Shaw movies?" simple.

I don't get how movies that were supposed to be cantonese get released on disc, especially from a company like IVL who of all people should have the cantonese track, release it with a mandarin track only. Did the original track just mysteriously vanish like that?

Morgoth Bauglir

How do you know it is intended to be watched in Cantonese? Because I have no idea how to tell.

The Supreme Swordsman IVL doesn't have a Cantonese track, so most likely the Funimation DVD won't either. I'm just throwing that out there:tongue:

Archived