By Hook or By Crook (1980) Deltamac Vs Joysales?

kaleyboy

I have the deltamac version, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the joysales version. Does anyone here know if there's a big difference in terms of both picture and subtitles quality? Are the joysales subtitles as poorly timed as the deltamac ones? If so, I might just remaster the subtitles on my existing deltamac copy. This is one of my favourite comedies from the 80's.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw the Deltamac version but I got the Joy Sales DVD a few weeks ago (for a good price on ebay, new). The subtitles are well-timed, I didn't notice much of an issue there.

The video quality is good, though I would love to see a remaster on the Celestial level (if only).

Wu Ma's finest hour and a Sammo completist's essential for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I've held off on this one for a long time because I hear Dean Shek's usual grating antics gets a lot of screen time in this one. Is it worth sitting through for the action portions?

If you just want action, those scenes are few and far between. I'd say this more of a comedy, albeit a most excellent one.

I've held off on this one for a long time because I hear Dean Shek's usual grating antics gets a lot of screen time in this one. Is it worth sitting through for the action portions?

I don't mind Dean Shek, but this is one of his best roles, along with His Name is Nobody.

Actually, after watching the latter film, I came away with more appreciation for him because Karl Maka does a good job of humanizing Shek with a couple scenes he took from the Lone Wolf and Cub manga issue, "Half mat, one mat, a fistful of rice" about a former assassin who turns to busking and tries to dissuade Ogami Itto from killing.

ShaOW!linDude

I have this but haven't watched it in ages. What I remember is that the action really doesn't happen until the end and a good portion of it is more along the lines of slapstick. Sammo does get to shine for a bit but not as much as I'd hoped. IMPO: Space is correct......this is really for completionists of Sammo's movies.

Archived