The Yellow Sea (by 'The Chaser' director) (2010)

mpm74

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mpm74: Good look for this movie, I have been saying it for years that the Korean film industry has been putting out excellent films.

The Korean versions aren't going to have English subs and since my Korean isn't good enough that I don't need them yet, has anybody heard of a release that is going to have English subs?

This is finally hitting DVD on May 19, it seems to come with very little fan-fare or hype though...I know next to nothing about it myself. I'll be curious to check out a few reviews.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-ye...0-en/info.html

No english subtitles... :(

Been waiting for this guy's second movie since I saw Chaser back in, what, 2008?

Anyone who is browsing the Korean Cinema Forums needs to see Yellow Sea!!

Trust me. See it. You may have a film better than Chaser and I Saw the Devil

One Armed Boxer
i so want to see it but i cant get a copy on dvd does anyone know when its released

Both the Theatrical and Director's Cut versions of this movie have been available on Korean DVD since April -

Theatrical version - http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-yellow-sea-dvd-2-disc-theatrical-edition-first-press-limited-edition/1024257683-0-0-0-en/info.html

Director's Cut - http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-yellow-sea-dvd-2-disc-directors-cut-first-press-limited-edition/1024257684-0-0-0-en/info.html

However as Biozombie pointed out the DVD's are listed as having no English subtitles, which is surprisingly unusual for a Korean DVD, especially considering it's from the same director as the widely popular 'The Chaser'. Perhaps VenomsFam could confirm how he saw the movie for us?

Both the Theatrical and Director's Cut versions of this movie have been available on Korean DVD since April -

However as Biozombie pointed out the DVD's are listed as having no English subtitles, which is surprisingly unusual for a Korean DVD, especially considering it's from the same director as the widely popular 'The Chaster'. Perhaps VenomsFam could confirm how he saw the movie for us?

Remember last year with Ong Bak 3? Basically there are people on the internet who will English subb a movie. And you can sync it with your DVD player.

The internet really has its advantages. This also came in handy for the Uncut Japanese release of 13 Assassins this year. With just these subtitle files, you can enjoy the film in the version you want etc.

My friend gave me a copy the subtitles don't really seem that good, and honestly I feel asleep through the 1st. 1/2 hour. I hope it gets better. I will give it another go tonight!

OK I got to finishing watching this movie tonight, and the first (1) hour dragged on a little but the 2nd 1-1/2 hours was wild.. Brutal as hell. I just don't really know what the main story was about expect he was hired to Kill someone then he was double crossed, and then it just became wild, with Hatchets & Knifing People left & right! Overall the 2nd. part of the movie was wild as hell. It wasn't beter than "I Saw the Devil" IMO...

OK I got to finishing watching this movie tonight, and the first (1) hour dragged on a little but the 2nd 1-1/2 hours was wild.. Brutal as hell. I just don't really know what the main story was about expect he was hired to Kill someone then he was double crossed, and then it just became wild, with Hatchets & Knifing People left & right! Overall the 2nd. part of the movie was wild as hell. It wasn't better than "I Saw the Devil" IMO...

The story from part 1 sets up the wild, unpredictable 2nd half IMO. Without the proper subs, I don't think it does the film justice. :neutral:

Question to anyone who has seen YELLOW SEA:

(beware of SPOILERS)...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

What exactly is Yun-seok Kim and his men eating? (it looks like a big pot of meat, but what kind of meat?)

Question to anyone who has seen YELLOW SEA:

What exactly is Yun-seok Kim and his men eating? (it looks like a big pot of meat, but what kind of meat?)

I believe I know what you are thinking. I mean wasn't the Big Boss extended cut scene right before that? LOL I have to watch again - they don't say in the SUBs either. They are just chowing down.

Could someone answer my GODDAMN question?

=D

Well the meat and bones look VERY VERY strange. After about 30 seconds, when Yun-seok Kim lights his cigarette and gets up to go to his room, the guy next to him is gnawing on a really HUGE leg bone. It is not a chicken. And there were no cows knocking about in the Joseon area.

ys-1.jpg

ys-2.jpg

They appear to be eating humans. Yes. Cannibal scene. :squigglemouth:

lol! Thanks you. Good enough for me.

Cannibals are the same all over the world... they Stink!

Actually no cannibalism is implied in the movie. Perhaps these are large animals (goats, dogs, etc.). I think there is some known history with the Joeseon in Korea. This may be commenting on that.

Well the meat and bones look VERY VERY strange. After about 30 seconds, when Yun-seok Kim lights his cigarette and gets up to go to his room, the guy next to him is gnawing on a really HUGE leg bone. It is not a chicken. And there were no cows knocking about in the Joseon area.

ys-1.jpg

ys-2.jpg

They appear to be eating humans. Yes. Cannibal scene. :squigglemouth:

It's only porc.

* Like Jokbal (but not the pig foot but leg)

Like here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/applesister/4342583162/

Hmmm.... the bone he was using in the film looked a little bigger than the picture in that link. And they were putting a lot of emphasis on what they were eating for it to just be 'porc'...

either way, gets the audience going, that's for sure.

Hmmm.... the bone he was using in the film looked a little bigger than the picture in that link. And they were putting a lot of emphasis on what they were eating for it to just be 'porc'...

either way, gets the audience going, that's for sure.

Yes I know, the picture was just an exemple, it's another part called Jokbal bal means foot in Korean. That bone in the film is the leg.

Sorry I meant PORK not PORC (it's my french taking over lol!)

Archived