Classic Hong Kong Poster artist?

Squid Lips

Does anyone know the name (or names) of the artist that created many of those classic painted Hong Kong release film posters, including most of Bruce Lee’s (and Yellow Faced Tiger)?

post-509-14419188825_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know the name (or names) of the artist that created many of those classic painted Hong Kong release film posters, including most of Bruce Lee’s (and Yellow Faced Tiger)?

Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enquired umpteen times about this but no joys.This artwork is simply fabulous.Most of the 6os to mid 70s HK movies had this type of artwork and I used to stare for many hours in cinema lobbies trying to unravel the mysteries of these paintings about to unfold in the darkened theatre.Not even Shaw Brothers gives any info about this so my guess is that they might have been contracted to some firm and my reason for guessing this is because all the films from various companies had this type of artwork but it seems the Golden Harvest ones had a unique " messy " look which distinguished theirs from the rest.My final guess it that this design might have been of Japanese origin.Those who have seen the original posters of 7 Samurai and Yojimbo can see what I mean however this it just a guess and I am still dying to know because that,those,individual/individuals,firm,company etc that produced these images - pun intended - rightly deserves a lot of kudos.

Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enquired umpteen times about this but no joys.This artwork is simply fabulous.Most of the 6os to mid 70s HK movies had this type of artwork and I used to stare for many hours in cinema lobbies trying to unravel the mysteries of these paintings about to unfold in the darkened theatre.Not even Shaw Brothers gives any info about this so my guess is that they might have been contracted to some firm and my reason for guessing this is because all the films from various companies had this type of artwork but it seems the Golden Harvest ones had a unique " messy " look which distinguished theirs from the rest.My final guess it that this design might have been of Japanese origin.Those who have seen the original posters of 7 Samurai and Yojimbo can see what I mean however this it just a guess and I am still dying to know because that,those,individual/individuals,firm,company etc that produced these images - pun intended - rightly deserves a lot of kudos.

http://www.moviegoods.com/large_detail.asp?http://www.moviegoods.com//Assets/product_images/1020/498728.1020.A.jpg

Another favourite of mine :wink:

forgive me if this is a stupid question and my noob colors are showing here , but all those exaggerated characteurs on many classic HK posters - I assume those weren't all by the same guy , but is there an artist who made that style famous? like this

crazycrooks.jpg

Kwok, that is a great image.

I am doing research for a book that is being published next year and trying to see if that artist was one, or maybe several different ones doing the job. There were some striking examples. Would make a great coffee book, just of those posters....

Guest elaineclark

hello

some of the artist that make the movies posters that having creative enterprises, Limona Studio and Indian Hippy, promise to cast you in an Indian film of your choice, even if just on paper.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

thanks

elaineclark

Archived