Serious Ninja Portrayal Question

Michael L.

Why are ninjas, even in feudal times, so often shown wearing mesh or fishnet undergarments?

This has been bothering me for years.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
Why are ninjas, even in feudal times, so often shown wearing mesh or fishnet undergarments?

Because it's sexy!:kiss::tongue:

I want to know why nowadays they always wear body armor? Come on!:ooh::squigglemouth:

It came from manga, and probably made it's way to anime. Like kunoichi wearing short skirts and throwing kunai, it's one of those pop-culture ninja thingies. The "mesh shirt" has even made it's way into Sonny Chiba movies, but historically, the closest things are probably the chainmail suits believed to have been worn by some ninja during combat.

Okay, from what manga? I'm seeing shinobi mesh underwear in movies at least as far back as 1961 (Akai Kageboshi)....

There was at least one ninja manga in the 1950s, Sarutobi Sasuke by Shigeru Sugiura. I haven't seen it, so don't know if the ninja were wearing mesh outfits. And there was an anime feature, Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke, released in 1959. A Japanese penpal may have sent that me one on videotape, but I haven't watched it in a long time.

Stephen Turnbull's Ninja book shows a few woodblock prints by Yoshitoshi, which were published in the 19th century, which have "mesh ninja shirts" in them, so it even predates anime, manga, Sanpei Shirato, and all that stuff. But historically, I've never seen anything like that - a chainmail undershirt is the closest thing, so that's probably what the artists were originally going for.

History rarely impedes artistic portrayal of the past... A common theory is the modern look of ninja has more to do with how stagehands dressed than anything else (they roamed the stage in black to move props or manipulate puppets in various types of theater). The woodblock print angle makes sense and I'll look into it. I had that Turnbull book and loaned it to a student before reading it and never saw it again!

Thanks Bamboo Spear!

Well, does this mesh undergarmet appear only with shinobi or are there examples of it elsewhere? IIRC, ninja were essentially samurai on covert ops; thus, the toolbox between the two was not all that different. What's the purpose of it anyway? Is it good for withdrawing arrowheads like silk was?

If I recall, Shishido Baiken wore a similar undergarment in Samurai 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple. There have been theories that Baiken was a ninja, being a kusarigama expert from Iga, so maybe that was why they put it on him for the film?

Archived