Bodyguard from Beijing - best version?

Gaijin84

Every version out there looks to be like a bad 90s release rushed to market. Is there any edition that is superior? Not interested in "The Defender" versions. The two I've seen are these:

51GNSXDN6TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51K9XXVET2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also in some box sets, but I don't imagine those are great either.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Video (they also released an LD - ripped from that, in turn taken from Mei Ah LD?) has new subs (black bar obscures old ones), whereas I believe the other disc has the old subs (possibly similar rip from LD or even VHS?) judging from a screen-capture shown to me years ago.

The best one is the Japanese DVD (no English subs) - anamorphic, uncut and more decent quality. Here's a comparison.

Dimension's video looks the best, but is otherwise not really desirable.

Dragon Dynasty hold the rights, but I don't know how that'll turn out.

What about the one released by Metrofilms?

Ah, didn't know about that (link). Thanks!

They have also released 'My Father Is A Hero'. Fortune Star now own the film, but I don't know if it'll use theirs, a master by Mei Ah, or their own restoration. Interestingly, there's a Miramax logo on it - I wonder if perhaps a shorter French version is on it (same edit as theirs)?

I called them up to ask a few questions (namely about the inclusion of English subs), but they never responded.

Yoshitaka at ADC actually did english subs for the french DVD, but no one did a custom job. The subs are on the ADC forum if anyone wants to grab them and add them to their disc. I'd attach them, but this site limits attachments to 19KB, and the subs are 42KB. Here's a link to the forum page:

http://asiandvdclub.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=12794

Remember, the french version is uncut, so subs from other releases don't work with it (as far as I know), but the french disc looks like the best version around.

Every version out there looks to be like a bad 90s release rushed to market. Is there any edition that is superior? Not interested in "The Defender" versions. The two I've seen are these:

51GNSXDN6TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51K9XXVET2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51K9XXVET2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

iunno bout the purple one but i have this one and can tell u its shit,its released by beverly wilshire filmworks 0r telefilms international or atelier chromatique iunno it has all 3 of those names on the back,its only cantonese or chinese iunno i dont speak whatever it is lol, and the pic is Crap, and it doesnt have a menu it just starts the film and if i click menu its just White! and it has HardSubs in chinese or whatever with english right below i hate subs like that..eh u may not be interested in the dimension one but imma order that one and trade off this one at the flea market lol...

TheToppestFight

Sorry to bump an ancient thread here... I decided to order the French DVD of this film (by Metrofilms) from Amazon.fr.   Just wondering if anyone happens to have the English subtitles file?  (Probably a long shot, at this point...)

There are English subs available to download on subscene.com. Not sure how good they are or how well they will synch to a PAL DVD, but they are available.

TheToppestFight

Thanks.  I'm assuming that since there are different cuts of the film it will be more than a question of adjusting for PAL vs NTSC refresh rates/FPS?  Was hoping to find some subs which were specifically intended for use with the French DVD.  At least I can read French okay, in the worst case scenario.  Might try out some of those IVL DVDrip subs just to see how they work with the French DVD audio track...

TheToppestFight

Thank you - much appreciated!   These forums are great - I thought it would be quite a long shot to ask for help in a thread where the last posting activity happened 8 years ago, so it's always really cool when helpful people pop up unexpectedly and generously offer solutions!

Archived