Bruce Li: The man and the myth DVD

Silverfox89

kungpowmaster

That HK film, I think I have that on Anchor Bay DVD, called Goodbye Bruce Lee. It is a nice looking widescreen transfer. I think it only has an English dub, but not 100% sure.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bruceleeclones
Is it a DVDR? That's the only explanation I can think of because when I had this disc I remember for sure there were 2 commentaries. But then again, Videoasia never fails to amaze me with the errors made on their discs, so it is possible that some have 2 commentaries, and some only have 1.

It's the original DVD, so i don't know why mine doesnt have the second commentary. I remember reading a review which mentioned the same problem, so maybe it was something that happended on the original release of the DVD as I got it when it was first released.

I just recieved Video Asia's MAN & MYTH and there are two commentaries on the disc (3 audio tracks).

I'm suprised how much is on the disc...not HKL standard by any means but plenty of extras( Ng See Yuen interview!) and the movie plays ok!

Does anyone know how much this film (as BRUCE LEE -TRUE STORY) made in Hong Kong...

it was supposed to have played there. Also, what did it do Worldwide?:neutral:

ChineseSausage
I just recieved Video Asia's MAN & MYTH and there are two commentaries on the disc (3 audio tracks).

I'm suprised how much is on the disc...not HKL standard by any means but plenty of extras( Ng See Yuen interview!) and the movie plays ok!

Yes, I told you back in the day that this version was decent enough (no jumps, playable, plenty of extras). Too bad it is not widescreen though.

Yes, I told you back in the day that this version was decent enough (no jumps, playable, plenty of extras). Too bad it is not widescreen though.

Ok Ed...don't rub it in mate! I was afraid that damn Insta-Action thing would ruin it for me.

But still (hah!)...better late than never!:wink:

ChineseSausage
I watched this last night, on my St.Clair Vision set. I remember I had watched it before. It's a great one though. And has many great classic scenes, like where Bruce is protecting that old man against those two black Karate guys, and the old man is pleading with Bruce, "that guy's a Karate expert". And Bruce is always showing how Jeet Kun Do is superior to Karate, and Muy Thai. I wish the classics would get the top notch Celestial style DVD re-releases.

Which brings a question, if anyone wants to answer:

Which of the Bruce Lee clone films have been given a quality DVD release?

Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger (UK Version), Return Of The Tiger (Trinity Home Entertainment, U.S.) and Fist Of Fury III (German version) are not bad looking, not as good as the already mentioned GBBL from Arrow Films, UK though.

ChineseSausage

So which version is the best looking (and uncut) for Bruce Li: The man and the myth? Regardless of the language. Is it the japanese version?

Carl?

i took the old semi-wide uk dvd and spliced in the nunchaku scene from the full screen derann vhs.not a perfect solution but acceptable untl a definitive release appears.

So which version is the best looking (and uncut) for Bruce Li: The man and the myth? Regardless of the language. Is it the japanese version?

Carl?

Yeah, the Japanese(widescreen) version is the one to go for but no enlish dub or subs:sad:

I just recieved Video Asia's MAN & MYTH and there are two commentaries on the disc (3 audio tracks)

That Japanese print of BRUCE LEE, THE MAN THE MYTH is the best, it's true and wide. It has hard-coded Japanese subs (aka

burned in subtitles) but i cannot remember if they are on the actual print, or below. I have to check. If someone is willing to send

me those two audio commentaries then i would be willing to take another look at subtitling it. If i do subtitle it, then it would have

four audio tracks. (1) would be the English dub (providing the cuts are not different), (2ND) would be the ORIGINAL cantonese

audio track, and of course we would have (3/4) 2 Additional audio commentaries. If anyone has the Video Asia version of the

film, rip all three of the audio tracks and send them to me. If you don't know how to do it PM me, and i will tell you how. It

only takes a few minutes. If you do this then i will make sure you get a copy.

Silverfox89

So is the Video asia print of Bruce Lee the man the myth fully uncut then? how is the picture quality on this DVD?

So is the Video asia print of Bruce Lee the man the myth fully uncut then? how is the picture quality on this DVD?

It's fully uncut in terms of the US/European print and the picture quality is acceptable (similar to the UK print). However, as stated the Japanese DVD contains an excellent Mandarin print which contains scenes which were cut when the film was originally released in the west. These include actual stills of Bruce Lee which were presumably cut after Linda Lee took legal action against the distributors. In addition, the end of the movie has a scene of Li and 'Betty Ting Pei' in bed which was also cut. This scene was part of the montage looking at the various rumours surrounding Bruce Lee's death.

The Video Asia version is recommended as the special features are great including very informative commentary tracks.

Jesse Smooth

Okay, I'll have to listen to it again...

sifu iron perm

if someone does make the best version of this, i hope it becomes for sale?

Man/Myth is a good flick.

No, the scene has Li and 'Betty Ting Pei' getting intimate. I haven't watched the Mandarin print for a while but as I recall the footage appears after Li is attacked in the street. It's basically going over the many rumours surrounding Bruce Lee's demise. Linda Lee sued the US distributor and received payment regarding the use of Bruce's name. As mentioned, actual stills were removed from the US version and I'm guessing that the distributors didn't want to attract any more heat and decided to cut any implication that Bruce and Betty were more than friends.

Interestingly, there is a curious change in dubbing during the scene in which Li and 'Betty Ting Pei' are discussing the script. The US version has Li's voice suddenly change to Shaw Bros style dubbing for a few lines and he asks about Ting Pei's husband?! This doesn't happen in the UK print.

Interestingly, there is a curious change in dubbing during the scene in which Li and 'Betty Ting Pei' are discussing the script. The US version has Li's voice suddenly change to Shaw Bros style dubbing for a few lines and he asks about Ting Pei's husband?! This doesn't happen in the UK print.

I noticed the dubbing being fishy about that scene recently as well. Did the Lee Estate (i.e., Linda) have something to do with that? Like they (she) had it changed so it wouldn't, you know,"tarnish Bruce Lee's image?"

Incidentally, how does the dialogue differ in the UK print?

And does anyone know anything about this print?:

NSosPUO0W9Y

I noticed the dubbing being fishy about that scene recently as well. Did the Lee Estate (i.e., Linda) have something to do with that? Like they (she) had it changed so it wouldn't, you know,"tarnish Bruce Lee's image?"

Incidentally, how does the dialogue differ in the UK print?

And does anyone know anything about this print?:

NSosPUO0W9Y

I'm not sure whether the dubbing situation was down to the Lee estate however I'd guess that Linda Lee/Adrian Marshall were responsible for some of the content being edited. The UK print is the version which appears in the youtube link a few posts back.

I think the version you posted is Cantonese with Mandarin/English subs as it played in HK cinemas.

I realized it was the Cantonese print with Chinese and English subs, I was more enquiring to the availibilty of the print in the form of home video.

Archived