Bruce Li: The man and the myth DVD

Silverfox89

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine that it's like all the other public domain versions ie: Full frame transfers from vhs tapes with bleeding colours and not very sharp picture :(

This is begging for a decent release in proper ratio from a remastered print.

I would imagine that it's like all the other public domain versions ie: Full frame transfers from vhs tapes with bleeding colours and not very sharp picture :(

This is begging for a decent release in proper ratio from a remastered print.

I should imagine your right I'll just add one thing it should be better than the UK version that cuts the Nunchaku scene out. & I agree its does begging a popper release.

I rate this movie the #1 Bruce Lee bio pic of all time.

I tried to watch "The Legend of Bruce Lee" (TV series) and I shut it off within 10 minutes. I couldn't take it.

I rate this movie the #1 Bruce Lee bio pic of all time.

I tried to watch "The Legend of Bruce Lee" (TV series) and I shut it off within 10 minutes. I couldn't take it.

OMG

i lasted at least 12 minutes.. you just reminded me, i have to FF to the GOD section n watch that as i remember the clips showing quite a good recreation of the GOD set etc..

Maybe I should have done the same. Wasn't aware of the cool sets you speak of.

I'm cool with the fact that it's inaccurate (as most Bio films are). But shit, they didn't even try. It sucks, because from what I did see, the lead pulled it off pretty good.

If you can get it, get the VideoAsia DVD. There's a cool commentary with Jorge Tan, Davis Miller, Joe Lewis, Joe Hyams and Ed Khmra. Talks about what Rag-on should have been.

kungfusamurai
If you can get it, get the VideoAsia DVD. There's a cool commentary with Jorge Tan, Davis Miller, Joe Lewis, Joe Hyams and Ed Khmra. Talks about what Rag-on should have been.

A video asia DVD worth get. Now that's something you don't hear all the time! :) I can't remember if I have that version, I gotta look through my stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

KFS

A video asia DVD worth get. Now that's something you don't hear all the time! :) I can't remember if I have that version, I gotta look through my stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

KFS

That's pretty much the only VideoAsia DVD I'll recommend. Thought the commentary cuts short towards the end of the film. Beware, make sure you turn your TV all the way up to hear it.

Video Asian is good value for money especially in the dvds sets. IMO they released better titles than some of the HKL & Dragon Dynasty.

Video Asian is good value for money especially in the dvds sets. IMO they released better titles than some of the HKL & Dragon Dynasty.

Yes, they might be cheap but 1/2 of the titles don't work because of poor authoring. I bought ONE ARMED SWORDSMEN (before the UK release) and the whole film just would not play . It kept defaulting to the so-called 'insta action' mode! I believe other titles did the same too, plus some of the transfers were absolutely awful.....:ooh:

I've never had any trouble with Video Asia dvds I have SHAOLIN AGAINST WU TANG, THE MARTIAL ARTS ESSENTIAL VOL 6: DRUNKEN MASTERS & SHAOLIN IRON MEN & all 20 films work fine.

Morgoth Bauglir

Videoasia has been doing better in the last couple years. Other than transfer problems I haven't had any problems with their DVDs recently.

A lot of their early releases have problems. Their early double sided DVDs don't play on some DVD players, and many titles like Invincible Monkey Fist, Hero of Shanghai, Best of Shaolin Kung Fu, Rivals of the Silver Fox (and One Armed Swordsmen apparently) have a weird flaw where when a chapter ends it goes into the insta action mode, and the only way to watch the movie all the way through is a long annoying process.

I don't have their version of The Man The Myth anymore, but I remember the Joe Lewis commentary is pretty much inaudible. You must have better ears than me Jesse Smooth because I had my volume way up.

EDIT- I just checked a review I did of the box set this disc comes in, and it appears that the Young Bruce Lee DVD has the inaudible commentary (with Jesse Glover), not The Man The Myth.

Oh right I guess I've not had any problems because I have 2009 & 2010 releases.

kungpowmaster

I have this movie on a cheap St Clair Vision set. I think I watched it, but need to again, as I don't remember it.

I've been getting a lot of Videoasia sets lately, and thier mechanical quality has greatly improved, and I've had no problems with them, but I did with some earlier releases.

sifu iron perm

did man/myth have any Nunchuk scenes? Ive only seen the UK released version from the 80's and that would bound to have them cut out.

did man/myth have any Nunchuk scenes? Ive only seen the UK released version from the 80's and that would bound to have them cut out.

Hell, yeah it's a good Nunchuck scene between Li and one of the Italian "Karate" men (just a stuntman really looking at his " Karate") - he has a spiked mace against Li's chucks.

bruceleeclones

there is a nunchaku scene cut from the UK dvd, it takes place when Li is fighting the two karate men at the coliseum. I have the Video Asia dvd but it only featured one commentary, according to the box it was meant to feature two different commentaries.

Morgoth Bauglir
I have the Video Asia dvd but it only featured one commentary, according to the box it was meant to feature two different commentaries.

Is it a DVDR? That's the only explanation I can think of because when I had this disc I remember for sure there were 2 commentaries. But then again, Videoasia never fails to amaze me with the errors made on their discs, so it is possible that some have 2 commentaries, and some only have 1.

kungpowmaster

I watched this last night, on my St.Clair Vision set. I remember I had watched it before. It's a great one though. And has many great classic scenes, like where Bruce is protecting that old man against those two black Karate guys, and the old man is pleading with Bruce, "that guy's a Karate expert". And Bruce is always showing how Jeet Kun Do is superior to Karate, and Muy Thai. I wish the classics would get the top notch Celestial style DVD re-releases.

Which brings a question, if anyone wants to answer:

Which of the Bruce Lee clone films have been given a quality DVD release?

Archived