Funimation Shaws Sale

Kennedy Il Sung

Kennedy Il Sung

I just thought that I should post this here, it looks like there is a sale on most Funimation Shaws on Amazon.com.All of them (up until Soul of the Sword and Shaolin Rescuers) are going for $6.99 so if anyone didn't pick these up when they were first released (like me) this is a great deal, also I saw that sword of swords is available for pre order at only $13.99 which is fairly cheap considering new they usually sell for $17.99 on there.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for letting us know. Any idea how long this sale is?

You can also get Opium and the Kung Fu master, 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock cheaper separately than in the 3 pack with this sale. I'm just not sure if 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock are worth going into blindly.

Also if anyone can tell me, are all their other releases pretty much good and acceptable versions (except for Invincible Shaolin which does have that lousy english dub?) I've only seen that one and Shaolin Prince which seemed fine.

Morgoth Bauglir
Also if anyone can tell me, are all their other releases pretty much good and acceptable versions (except for Invincible Shaolin which does have that lousy english dub?) I've only seen that one and Shaolin Prince which seemed fine.

Shaolin Handlock has a constant motion blur on the picture that I found very distracting. And I heard 14 Amazons has the same problem.

masterofoneinchpunch
Shaolin Handlock has a constant motion blur on the picture that I found very distracting. And I heard 14 Amazons has the same problem.

Yeah both have that problem.

Shaolin Handlock also suffers from other issues as well: plot, characterization, David Chiang (kidding of course), a weak rear-naked choke ...

But the blurring in both is horrible and that really is annoying in 14 Amazons which is a film I quite like.

Since I do not pay much attention to English dubs I loved the Invincible Shaolin release.

Morgoth Bauglir

lol I agree it is just a weak rear naked choke. I didn't understand why it was considered such a great technique in the movie.

Thanks Morgoth and masterofoneinchpunch.

I did a search on this forum and found a thread about the 14 Amazons disc and the lousy picture quality and supposedly made up subs in parts. That sucks but then I've never seen the movie so I'm not sure I would even like it. Thanks for the warning on on Shaolin Handlock. I haven't seen that one either so perhaps I'll try and just rent them first.

How is Opium and the Kung Fu Master? All I found on this forum was a mention from chen lung regarding a video glitch of some kind, but that's it. I'd be taking a risk on this one too but I have a feeling that it will be a good movie going by clips I've seen/ things I've read on it.

How about the Duel? Is that good in terms of audio / video?

I read from a few buyers on Amazon.com that The Duel is missing the end fight scene has anyone got this and can confirm it. They did the same thing with Avenging Eagle and I was pissed!

By

pr_arcangel "Gil" (Florida) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Duel of the Iron Fist (DVD)

Although the movie is decent, the quality of the dvd is not, it has problems with sudden freezes at times, que quality of the picture is below standards and the ending of the movie is cutoff so there's no ending scene. A very dissapointing dvd.

I read from a few buyers on Amazon.com that The Duel is missing the end fight scene has anyone got this and can confirm it. They did the same thing with Avenging Eagle and I was pissed!

I'm pretty sure that review is talking about this earlier version

http://www.amazon.com/Duel-Iron-Fist-Lung-Ti/dp/B0001DMUUY/ref=cm_cr_pr_orig_subj

Amazon has the bad habit of combining reviews for the same movie even though they are from completely different distributors. So it's helpful if you look at the date of when the review was posted. That one you quoted is from 2004, long before the Funimation version was released. Here is another more recent quote that addresses this issue :

By Richard - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Duel (Shaw Brothers) (DVD)

This is a classic Shaw Brothers gangster/kung fu movie. I really liked the dark tone to the film. David Chang and Ti Lung teamed up to take on the traitor of their gang. What results is a seriously high body count and blood flow. This movie is indeed very violent for its time, but then that's how it was meant to be. I really enjoyed this film and it is certainly a must have for Shaw fans and serious collectors. Please note that you should purchase the DVD FROM FUNIMATION ENTERTAINMENT, which is available here on Amazon. I think Amazon needs to separate reviews based on distributors; that is, make reviews available only for the respective releases. That is, I'm sure some of the reviewers here are referring to an earlier released version of this film which does not do any justice for both the potential buyers and this new release by a different distributor. I have noticed this for several films here on Amazon. For example, check out "The Return of the Five Deadly Venoms" which is has different versions. The version by Dragon Dynasty is perfect, but some reviews refer to the old crappy version from another distributor.

Either way I'd still like to hear some opinions on the Funimation DVD from people on here who own it.

thank you for the head up, i was able to grab Invincible shaolin and Dazed and Confused Criterion, 6.99 and 9.99 respectively.

Well after searching on this board, turns out Opium and the Kung Fu Master is missing the cantonese track. That answers my question. So much for that.

Soon as this pending Screen Archives order hits my bank account I'm going to order a few Funimation releases .. the more we buy the more they will release! I don't think we will ever see them MUCH cheaper than 6.99 , so I say go for it.

... Either way I'd still like to hear some opinions on the Funimation DVD from people on here who own it.

I have it, have viewed it, and the final fight scenes are in place. The video is amazing.

Thanks Dragon! I'll definitely be picking up the Duel as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone:

Invincible Shaolin should be Mandarin (so the Funimation has the correct audio track)

Shaolin Prince should be Cantonese (so the Funimation has the wrong audio track)

I already got notice from Amazon saying two titles already shipped (one of which they said would take much longer than 3 weeks.)

well that was fun while it lasted .. all movies are back up to 17.99 ! glad I got my order in, even if I probably won't have them in hand before Christmas. s'okay by me!

kungpowmaster

Hi,

I bought a Shaw Brothers Triple Threat set at the mall today, and it has Invincible Shaolin, Life Gamble, and Shaolin Prince on it. I then see(online) there is another Triple Threat set with 14 Amazons, and 2 others. On Amazon it says it's not released yet, and then on eBay there is a seller that is selling it, yet Amazon says it's not released till Dec 21, and neither Amazon nor eBay had the set I got, but the eBay sellers have a pic of the 14 Amazons set, but they give the same UPC number of the set I have, so I was reluctant to buy it, because it might be the same set I have. My set's number is 704400012198, so what's the number for the set with 14 Amazons, and do you think those sellers on Amazon really have that set? I don't want to take a chance, and get sent the set I just bought.

I hope that makes sense.

nice, it did say 2-3 weeks delivery but when i checked amazon today all my items was shipped.. great amazon, hope they are having more shaw sales in the future. maybe DD or Image next time :wink:

I finally got all my discs. I finally saw Hong Kong Godfathers. It was both a letdown (cause it was a bit too cliche and formulaic, but then it was still awesome regardless. I think I hyped the movie too much in my head, but it was still worth every penny and that ending is very deserving of its hype.

I picked up Shaolin Handlock just to see what the motion issue was all about on it, plus I've never seen it. I did notice it right away, more so in the beginning or maybe I just got used to it. Either way it wasn't that bad at all and not all that distracting unless I really tried focusing on it. The movie was great, but could have had a little more intensity in the action scenes.

I wish they went in a different direction with the covers. They're much worse in person than seeing them online. They don't capture the feel of any of their movies. The taglines are just terrible.

Archived