2011 Martial Arts Film Report

AlbertV

You're right about it being a treasure hunt! For every very good film there's so many more bad ones and that's not to mention the the average mediocrity. You could say that trying to find the good/Great is like panning for gold in the old days. Sitting by a river straining through all the muck searching for the tiniest piece of gold.

To be honest I find trying to be more selective harder. I get in two minds trying to decide because any future purchases will be few and far between and I know the next time will be a nightmare to decide.If I had the money right now I would probably go with Angry Ranger but if you asked me next weekor next month and there will probably be others that I want to see the most. Hell as I'm typing I'm thinking maybe I'd go for the stunt people's new detective story. :squigglemouth:

I was thinking the last two that I got were double dips. The legend of Fong Sai Yuk and the Tai chi Master. Now I think I should spent the money on something I haven't seen. Oh well.

I forgotten about VHS. Somewherein my boxes I should have Once Upon a Time in China parts four and five, which I haven't even watched. I was hoping to get my hands on a subtitled copy but now I'll have to settle for that English dub.

I agree with you guys about the treasure hunt sentiment, you have to go through a lot of average stuff to find the great ones and personal preferences play a huge part. Angry Ranger is a great title but I think it was on Youtube, or so I read a while back. Once Upon A Time In China 4 is a really good film, which surprised me, but part 5 sucked.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaOW!linDude

• blue_skies

• One Armed Boxer

• AlbertV

ShaOW!linDude

I went snooping around a video store today. (Haven't done that in while.)

I came across about.....oh, maybe 4 or 5 (used) I hadn't seen and considered getting. But with the funds being strained I just couldn't justify getting them though all told it would've been a little over $20. Still, it was a fun way to pass an hour.

One was the comedy The Fist Foot Way. I've heard good things about it (comedy-wise) but I left it on the shelf.

SIGH

QueMuchita, Is that a lady snowblood remake? whatever it is it looks good.

I agree with you guys about the treasure hunt sentiment, you have to go through a lot of average stuff to find the great ones and personal preferences play a huge part. Angry Ranger is a great title but I think it was on Youtube, or so I read a while back. Once Upon A Time In China 4 is a really good film, which surprised me, but part 5 sucked.

I took a look on youtube and it wasn't there but thanks for the suggestion. Although I did find high kick girl in six parts so I watched that instead.

From our past conversations, when it comes to martial arts movies I think we have quite similar taste. Defintely go for 'Angry Ranger', if you can make it a double bill then throw in 'Naughty Boys' (both are Joy Sales Legendary Collection titles), & if you can make it a triple, get the recently remastered release of the Shaw Brothers title 'Hong Kong Godfather'.

If nothing else catches my eyes between now and whenever I have the chance to buy something I should think angry ranger and naughty boys will be near the top of my list. Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if Bangkok Knockout will be released before then which would be extremely tempting.

I went snooping around a video store today. (Haven't done that in while.)

I came across about.....oh, maybe 4 or 5 (used) I hadn't seen and considered getting. But with the funds being strained I just couldn't justify getting them though all told it would've been a little over $20. Still, it was a fun way to pass an hour.

One was the comedy The Fist Foot Way. I've heard good things about it (comedy-wise) but I left it on the shelf.

SIGH

Surely Amazon.com marketplace would be a better place to pickup second-hand DVDs? I've noticed you can pick up some real bargains on Amazon US if you live in the States, not so much elsewhere because of the ridiculously high shipping costs.

I can't say that I look in the shops very often as it's always so much more expensive than the internet. Even the second-hand stores are overpriced but they are always worth a look to see if they have out-of-print Hong Kong Legends DVDs.

ShaOW!linDude

Anyone checked this out yet? I saw this at Walmart ($15) and decided to check online first.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanquisher-Sophita-Sriban/dp/B004H83IOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1301506119&sr=1-2

Vanquisher aka Suay (Beautiful) Samurai

By the folks who did (?) the Ong Bak trilogy according to the cover.

There's a couple of reviews on Amazon and they're not that good. It doesn't get slammed but the reviewers say it's not up to snuff.

I'm curious if anyone has watched this and what they thought.

Drunken Monk

Does anyone know when "Fist of Dragon" is due for a release? The trailer was unveiled a while ago and I've heard nothing since.

One Armed Boxer

There's a couple of reviews on Amazon and they're not that good. It doesn't get slammed but the reviewers say it's not up to snuff.

I haven`t seen it....but back when hkflix was still online there was a few reviews posted for this movie which described it as something along the lines of an unwatchable pile of (insert your choice of words here).

Many of the hkflix reviewers frequent these forums as well, and I`d definitely put more trust in their opinions than those on Amazon, which tends to be more from casual fans.

Basically, it sounds like one to avoid like the plague.

ShaOW!linDude

Glad I exercised a little restraint then. I get tired of buying disappointments.

I haven't made a purchase in a while and surely don't want to waste money on a temptation that will only lead me to practice my "Regretful Fist" style by punching myself repeatedly in the face.

Didn't have the bucks the spend anyway.

Guest mark1

THE GREEN HORNET - Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz

SHAOLIN - Andy Lau, Wu Jing, Nicholas Tse, Jackie Chan

NEVER BACK DOWN 2 - Michael Jai White, Alex Meraz, Dean Geyer, Troy Duffee

I don't like Green hornet...its not a great movie to watch but Never back down 2 is good one as never back down 1

And thank you for others movie i will watch them all.

I don't like Green hornet...its not a great movie to watch but Never back down 2 is good one as never back down 1

And thank you for others movie i will watch them all.

You mean IT IS SHIT!!!!

ShaOW!linDude

I saw this in a MovieStop today ($20). I was afraid to risk it.

http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Fighter-Akara-Amarttayakul/dp/B004K6FS2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1305572334&sr=1-1

I think this is a Thai movie titled MUAY THAI CHAI-YA.

Has anyone seen this before or know anything about it? I've read some mixed things. Mainly it seem to be more dramatic but the fight sequences are reported to be pretty brutal.

I saw this in a MovieStop today ($20). I was afraid to risk it.

http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Fighter-Akara-Amarttayakul/dp/B004K6FS2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1305572334&sr=1-1

I think this is a Thai movie titled MUAY THAI CHAI-YA.

Has anyone seen this before or know anything about it? I've read some mixed things. Mainly it seem to be more dramatic but the fight sequences are reported to be pretty brutal.

I've seen it, on Youtube.

It's not bad, a bit slow at times. I liked the training scenes with their camp on the beach.

ShaOW!linDude

Been snooping for info on upcoming releases today. I found this about Jeeja Yanin's new film Jukkalan being renamed for its international release in July 2011. (I don't remember hearing anything about this.) There's also a couple of demo clips showing the choreography in progress.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/05/jukkalan-with-jija-yanin-gets-appropriate-english-title.php

ShaOW!linDude

Empire of Assassins......anybody know anything about this? I ask 'cause I saw this at Walmart today but wanted to check before buying it. Here's the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Assassins-Miu-Tse/dp/B004WSA4CK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1310071382&sr=1-1

2 reviews and neither are good. I don't know if this goes by another title or not.

blue_skies
Empire of Assassins......anybody know anything about this? I ask 'cause I saw this at Walmart today but wanted to check before buying it. Here's the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Assassins-Miu-Tse/dp/B004WSA4CK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1310071382&sr=1-1

2 reviews and neither are good. I don't know if this goes by another title or not.

RVS9OXY3Yws

blue_skies
Been snooping for info on upcoming releases today. I found this about Jeeja Yanin's new film Jukkalan being renamed for its international release in July 2011. (I don't remember hearing anything about this.) There's also a couple of demo clips showing the choreography in progress.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/05/jukkalan-with-jija-yanin-gets-appropriate-english-title.php

LOL, no seriously....

This Girl Is Bad-Ass

ShaOW!linDude

Thanks for the clip, b_s.

Now I think I've seen that trailer before. It looks like it might not be too bad but..........think I'll pass on it for now. (Unless someone here has seen it....eh? eh? anyone?:ooh:.....and can tell me it's worth it.)

The director of BANGKOK ADRENALINE, Raimund Huber, is returning this year with a new action film.

DRAGONWOLF is a manga-style action film about two best friends who are assassins. Their loyalties are tested when they fall for the same woman. The film had already been shot and is now in post-production.

Starring in the film is Patrick Kazu Tang from HK, RAGING PHOENIX, and BKO: BANGKOK KNOCKOUT

The Devil’s Cauldron, a city where depravity and violence has forged a society in which only the lethal and callous can survive, two young men who possess the intellect and ferocity to flourish, carve a name for themselves as the most efficient and unstoppable hit men. Side by side, these two brothers are the deadliest killers, feared by even the most evil criminals. But when a woman of rare beauty mysteriously enters the brother’s lives she blinds them with her sweet promises and turns them against each other, resulting in an epic battle that threatens to bring the Devil’s Cauldron to the brink of destruction.

Here's Tang in the film

dragon_still3_%7Bb818a5e7-3daa-42c5-9d15-84d23ca8cb64%7D.jpg

Huber is currently working on his third film, KILL EM ALL, with Gordon Liu, Johnny Messner, Som Amara, Tim Man, and Joe Lewis (yes, the martial arts legend returns)

Did anyone here ever watch Vanquisher? It currently holds a 2.9/10 rating at the IMDB.

On 3/30/2011 at 2:40 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Anyone checked this out yet? I saw this at Walmart ($15) and decided to check online first.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanquisher-Sophita-Sriban/dp/B004H83IOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1301506119&sr=1-2

On 3/31/2011 at 1:30 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I haven`t seen it....but back when hkflix was still online there was a few reviews posted for this movie which described it as something along the lines of an unwatchable pile of (insert your choice of words here).

Many of the hkflix reviewers frequent these forums as well, and I`d definitely put more trust in their opinions than those on Amazon, which tends to be more from casual fans.

Basically, it sounds like one to avoid like the plague.

Edited by DrNgor