• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaOW!linDude

• blue_skies

• One Armed Boxer

• AlbertV

Does anybody know if Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins has been released yet?

It looks like 13 Assassins will be getting a limited theatrical release on April 29, from Magnet (Magnolia) Entertainment.

I wonder if Prachya Pinkaew's "The Kick" comes out later this year?

So far 2011 looks better than 2010 for kung fu.

It should do since it was released in December in Thailand. Fingers crossed it will be released by the summer.

It should do since it was released in December in Thailand. Fingers crossed it will be released by the summer.

D'oh I'm getting confused with Bankok Knockout:tongue:

gwailosforever

Bangkok Knockout picked up for UK distribution by Optimum. No release date as of yet, but guessing it will be the end of the year

ShaOW!linDude

ARGH!

The UK almost always gets releases before the US. That means it could be next year before we get it!

ARGH!

The UK almost always gets releases before the US. That means it could be next year before we get it!

While we have had plenty released over here before the US in the last few years, there's plenty of films that have not even reach these shores. Anyway I can't wait for Bangkok knockout I just hope I can scrape the cash together.

ShaOW!linDude
Anyway I can't wait for Bangkok knockout I just hope I can scrape the cash together.

I'm sure something will come off so that you'll be able to swing it, dude.

gwailosforever

Not to worry. Magnolia have picked up Bangkok Knockout for the US.

Buyers struck by Sahamongkolfilm's Bangkok Knockout

11 February, 2011 | By Jean Noh

Sahamongkolfilm International has done a raft of pre-sales deals on action adventure Bangkok Knockout: BKO, due for a world premiere in Berlin Feb 12.

Optimum picked it up for UK, TF1 for France, Splendid for Germany and Benelux, Madman for Australia and New Zealand, Clover Films for Singapore, Queen Film for Indonesia and Sonamu for South Korea. The film also previously sold to Magnolia for US.

“We are very excited about BKO. The stunts and fight scenes are some of the craziest we’ve seen, and we are thrilled to be working with Sahamongkolfilm again,” said Berenice Fugard, head of Acquisitions at Optimum.

In the film, a group of ‘Fight Club’ pals whose styles vary from Muay Thai and Capoeira to Kung Fu and Tai Chi must fight for their lives when one of their friends is kidnapped.

BKO is directed by Panna Rittkrai, a legend in Thai action cinema. He directed Born to Fight and was fight coordinator for films such as Ong Bak and Chocolate, and also starred in of many 70s and 80s action films.

“Sahamongkolfilm is now synonymous with great martial-arts action. Most of our buyers know us as a company that can deliver some of the best action sequences in cinema. It is with this reputation that we have had a great response for Bangkok Knockout: BKO. We actually had some bidding wars in some of the territories that we have sold. We certainly will be working hard to deliver even better action in our upcoming movies,” said Gilbert Lim, executive vice president at Sahamongkolfilm International.

AndyWayne84
Not to worry. Magnolia have picked up Bangkok Knockout for the US.

Buyers struck by Sahamongkolfilm's Bangkok Knockout

11 February, 2011 | By Jean Noh

Sahamongkolfilm International has done a raft of pre-sales deals on action adventure Bangkok Knockout: BKO, due for a world premiere in Berlin Feb 12.

Optimum picked it up for UK, TF1 for France, Splendid for Germany and Benelux, Madman for Australia and New Zealand, Clover Films for Singapore, Queen Film for Indonesia and Sonamu for South Korea. The film also previously sold to Magnolia for US.

“We are very excited about BKO. The stunts and fight scenes are some of the craziest we’ve seen, and we are thrilled to be working with Sahamongkolfilm again,” said Berenice Fugard, head of Acquisitions at Optimum.

In the film, a group of ‘Fight Club’ pals whose styles vary from Muay Thai and Capoeira to Kung Fu and Tai Chi must fight for their lives when one of their friends is kidnapped.

BKO is directed by Panna Rittkrai, a legend in Thai action cinema. He directed Born to Fight and was fight coordinator for films such as Ong Bak and Chocolate, and also starred in of many 70s and 80s action films.

“Sahamongkolfilm is now synonymous with great martial-arts action. Most of our buyers know us as a company that can deliver some of the best action sequences in cinema. It is with this reputation that we have had a great response for Bangkok Knockout: BKO. We actually had some bidding wars in some of the territories that we have sold. We certainly will be working hard to deliver even better action in our upcoming movies,” said Gilbert Lim, executive vice president at Sahamongkolfilm International.

That's best news i have heard all day.

I'm sure something will come off so that you'll be able to swing it, dude.

I'm sure you're right but currently my finances are struggling to pay the bills let alone have the opportunity to see more unseen new and old martial-arts films.

ShaOW!linDude
I'm sure you're right but currently my finances are struggling to pay the bills let alone have the opportunity to see more unseen new and old martial-arts films.

Bro, I am feeling you on that. The only purchases I've made this year were back in January and they were both used dvds for a total of $20. One was awful and one was meh. (I take that back. I also bought the animated "All Star Superman" last month. That's been it.)

There's older stuff I've never seen and want but they can wait. Currently there's nothing coming out any time soon that I'm gunning for. When it does come out, I'll still probably have to wait. I used to purchase something just to purchase something even though I tried to be discriminatory and selective. For the time being, those days are gone.:tongue:

Bro, I am feeling you on that. The only purchases I've made this year were back in January and they were both used dvds for a total of $20. One was awful and one was meh. (I take that back. I also bought the animated "All Star Superman" last month. That's been it.)

There's older stuff I've never seen and want but they can wait. Currently there's nothing coming out any time soon that I'm gunning for. When it does come out, I'll still probably have to wait. I used to purchase something just to purchase something even though I tried to be discriminatory and selective. For the time being, those days are gone.:tongue:

I'm sorry to see that you are also struggling to see new and old movies! I hate to admit I'm the same looking to maximise my budget by only going for those essential titles, when I can. The problem is this forum, I read comments from, especially, One Armed Boxer who has set me on some terrific kick ass films!!! :xd: You just wanna check out more!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I had a choice between going to the dentist and getting my damn teeth fixed which cost over 8,000 bucks or buy

AuRevoirLesEnfants_715515068512_500.jpg

fernando_di_leo_crime_collection_dvd.jpg

I ended up giving the finger to the dentist but at that point I was under laughing gas and when I woke up my fingers were slimy, anyway long story short I bought the dvds instead.......

ShaOW!linDude
I'm sorry to see that you are also struggling to see new and old movies! I hate to admit I'm the same looking to maximise my budget by only going for those essential titles, when I can. The problem is this forum, I read comments from, especially, One Armed Boxer who has set me on some terrific kick ass films!!! :xd: You just wanna check out more!!!!

Yeah, man! The problem is this forum! How dare all you people feed my addiction for more and more kung fu by telling me about movies that I've never seen!:tongue:

Ah well, that's what a wish list is for. I'll get to 'em one day.

Things are tough all over, bro. It ain't just you and me. Some of the guys here have been very gracious and offered to send or have sent me copies of stuff. Hopefully one day I'll be able to return the favor and pay it forward.

@ OKFC: Dude, take care of them choppers! They're for life and you're too young to be gumming your food! :bigsmile::wink::xd: Save them pearly whites!

I guess that's what I'll have to do from now on is create an ever-growing wish-list. The problem is with the lesser known movies is they go out of print.

Well at least I've got what I have! I've gotta TV, a DVD player and a decent selection of my favourite movies and TV shows to watch when I feel like it. Things could be far worse. :bigsmile:

Also on the positive side there aren't that many good martial-arts films released each year, let alone great films.

ShaOW!linDude
Also on the positive side there aren't that many good martial-arts films released each year, let alone great films.

You're absolutely right there. It just seems like it takes forever for the good/great ones to get a dvd release.

Other than that it's mainly a treasure hunt for the older stuff you get turned onto by other forum members.

I used to grab any and every thing I could find. Now I try to be much more selective. Never double dip unless I just have to which is pretty rare.

I have a stash and there's stuff in there I haven't seen in years plus all the vhs I have yet to convert. That'll be a major project one day.:tongue:

You're right about it being a treasure hunt! For every very good film there's so many more bad ones and that's not to mention the the average mediocrity. You could say that trying to find the good/Great is like panning for gold in the old days. Sitting by a river straining through all the muck searching for the tiniest piece of gold.

To be honest I find trying to be more selective harder. I get in two minds trying to decide because any future purchases will be few and far between and I know the next time will be a nightmare to decide.If I had the money right now I would probably go with Angry Ranger but if you asked me next weekor next month and there will probably be others that I want to see the most. Hell as I'm typing I'm thinking maybe I'd go for the stunt people's new detective story. :squigglemouth:

I was thinking the last two that I got were double dips. The legend of Fong Sai Yuk and the Tai chi Master. Now I think I should spent the money on something I haven't seen. Oh well.

I forgotten about VHS. Somewherein my boxes I should have Once Upon a Time in China parts four and five, which I haven't even watched. I was hoping to get my hands on a subtitled copy but now I'll have to settle for that English dub.

One Armed Boxer
You could say that trying to find the good/Great is like panning for gold in the old days. Sitting by a river straining through all the muck searching for the tiniest piece of gold.

Ha ha....this is so true! But I do think it makes it all the more worthwhile when you find a previously unknown (at least to yourself) hidden gem that you really enjoyed, and know you could watch many times again.

If I had the money right now I would probably go with Angry Ranger but if you asked me next weekor next month and there will probably be others that I want to see the most. Hell as I'm typing I'm thinking maybe I'd go for the stunt people's new detective story.

Ahhhh...no no no! 'New Detective Story' has an outstanding final fight up there with the stuff from 'Contour'...the rest of it doesn't fare so well, and for the high price it's currently going for, I think you'd be left disappointed.

From our past conversations, when it comes to martial arts movies I think we have quite similar taste. Defintely go for 'Angry Ranger', if you can make it a double bill then throw in 'Naughty Boys' (both are Joy Sales Legendary Collection titles), & if you can make it a triple, get the recently remastered release of the Shaw Brothers title 'Hong Kong Godfather'.

All three films have that go for broke feel to them that all of my favorite 80's HK movies have...hell if you order all three they would probably still come out cheaper than if you just buy 'New Detective Story'!