Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

daisho2004

OK I just got back from seeing this movie, I tried to get into the IMAX but it was sold out. And honestly I'm glad that I didn't pay the extra money for it. I can honestly say that I loved almost every HP movie thus far except the last one, and to me this one was even more of a huge let down. I found that it was way to slow at many times and down right boring at others. I was told by a lot of people if you didn't read any of the books the further the story went the more lost you would be, and they were right. I was completely lost as to what was going on. Yes they did explain what the Deathly Hallows were but that was towards the end of this movie. Hardly any action scenes, yes they through 1or 2 scenes to keep you interested but then right back to boring land they went. There was one scene which kinda reminded me of a scene from the Godfather where Voldemort has all his minions sitting at a table scared to death to talk. I guess there planning on saving the best for last. But do yourself a favor don't waste the extra money for IMAX because there is nothing special to make this movie stand out against seeing it on a regular size screen.

synopsis:

Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) leave Hogwarts behind on a mission to destroy the Horcruxes, the secret to Voldemort's power and immortality.

dhharryi3final.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee

I share your sentiments Daisho. It was good, but unless you're a Harry Potter fanatic, this one will kinda of bore you. I got lost trying to remember all the details from the previous six and that's not good when you're trying to follow what's going on with this story.

The only Harry Potter I can tolerate Is Prisoner of Azkaban, namely cause it has none of the overated Voldermort and the film has a satisfying ending that doesn't require any kind of to be continued feeling.

With my previous exposure to the franchise rather limited, I had no clue what was supposed to be going on in this movie, but it was almost all redeemed by the terrific animated sequence. Still, when a promising action scene threatened to break out only to get ruined by bullshit shaky-cam techniques, I could only shrug and sigh. That shit needs to be stomped out like five years ago.

I'd mostly recommend this film for fans of the books, camping, and long, meaningful conversations. But catch the animated sequence on Youtube or something, it's really first rate.

Lovely cinematography.

I loved it, especially the part when the Horcrux was "seducing" Ron. I think I still prefer The Half-Blood Prince, just for that fantastic cave scene, but I'm thinking the 2nd half of TDH is going to blow people away.

bamboo spear: Did you read the books? I'm just curious, because like I said I didn't care for this movie at all. I think I would've enjoyed it more watching it on DVD at home!

I thought this was good. Better than the Half-Blood Prince, which itself was a little slow. In this film everything pretty much goes to crap, which really had me invested from the start. It didn't need a lot of action scenes. You really felt the isolation the three main characters were going through and the despair of the whole situation. And no, I haven't read the books, so I don't know how it'll all work out. But they are definately in quite a pickle at this point. This matches Order of the Phoenix as my favorite film.

Archived