The Boxer from Shantung - MiB version

John

Hey forum,

I recently imported a slew of German discs and I finally got to watching some of them. Eastern Condors was FANTASTIC, which made The Boxer (or Pirate, as it were) from Shantung's picture all the harder to stomach! Oh, it is BAD. It is an artifact-ridden mess!

Original mono is intact though, I am hard pressed to enjoy the film regardless. Avoid at all costs, which are high if you don't live in Germany :P.

EDIT: I went back out of morbid curiosity; I should mention I only watched about 25 minutes in so far and I have to admit some scenes look quite acceptable, but do not achieve the quality of the DD Five Venoms or Heroes of the East. I think this must be largely a bitrate issue, as the worst of it comes out in dark scenes. If this were a PAL-NTSC-PAL fiasco, we'd have some motion blur but that doesn't look apparent here. I think the worst offender is just this dot crawl-looking silouette that seems to surround this extra in a teahouse scene...

Anyway, if Media Blasters are listening, Blu-ray plz.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, never really bothered with the German disc since I always though that the IVL issue of BOXER is one of their better early efforts. Picture is a lil' on the soft side at times, but thoroughly enjoyable.

The MIB Shaws I recommend to pick up are:

SHAOLIN TEMPLE (Heads & shoulders above the blurry-as-fuck HK disc!)

VENGEANCE

CHINESE BOXER

BLOOD BROTHERS (the Austrian edition only, the German one is cut)

THE CONDEMNED

SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT

Most are dirt-cheap now, just picked up THE CONDEMNED and SECRET SERVICE for a friend in the US for 1 and 2 € respectively on German Ebay...

No, no, you're on the wrong track here, John. I said Austrian not Australian.

This is the one:

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=3953&vid=217868

Its tricky for non-German speakers, I admit. The cover and the Company are the same here (MiB). Scan the bottom of the cover of the German DVD and it says: "Unveröffentlichte Langfassung" (unreleased long version)

Whereas on the Austrian issue it reads: "Unveröffentlichte Uncutversion" (unreleased uncut version). That's the one to go for!

Hahaha! How did I not notice that?:ooh:

Well, I just watched Boxer; it reminded me of The Duel, what with its early 20th century gangster action. I think Duel is much more successful a film though; my gripes with the DVD aside, the problem here is that this is really just a servicable Cheh effort with a couple moments of genius. The choreography feels a little disjointed (ha ha) at times. Having seen Five Venoms before this, it's clear that there was later a lot of growth on the hand-to-hand front. Here it feels primordial.

Inasmuch as the DVD, I've never owned an IVL up to this point, however this seems consistent with the caps I have seen. Motion blur of some nature was noticable in a dark sort of shadow that trailed behind movement in some scenes; I can also be sure there are compression issues at hand. Blocky artifacts made themselves quite clear from time to time; aliasing was also regularly present. My hardware is a Samsung 245t and an Oppo DV-983H.

My verdict is, Boxer from Shantung is rental territory. The film itself follows a typical Cheh pattern of tragedy and doesn't appear to offer much that region one users won't find in more readily accessible and presentable titles.

On a tangential note, I also saw The Sword!:bigsmile: I seriously need a dose of some optimism after all these tragedies, but it's a keeper! Makes me want to check out some more wuxia pian.:nerd:

Killer Meteor

I absolutely loved Boxer From Shantung as an English dubbed tape, that I watched when I could have access to a player whilst i was at film school.

Dubbed into Mandarin, watched in one go, its a bit of a slog. I do enjoy the silly English dub, it must be said.

The Duel holds up well, a very good film

Don't know how much're you are willing to shell out for a BD, Markgway.:wink:

But CONDORS shouldn't cost you more than a tenner (in €) these days. Problem is that most of the German online film suppliers abide to the ludicrous restrictions forced upon them by the FSK (German Voluntary Self-Regulation of the Movie Industry).

Had to become a member of certain movie platforms myself and then run to the post office with my ID because without evidence of your age you can't access their "restricted FSK 18 area" (the post office then notifies the supplier that you're over 18). And in some cases the effort was just to get one friggin' film!!!

Killer Meteor
Hahaha! How did I not notice that?:ooh:

Well, I just watched Boxer; it reminded me of The Duel, what with its early 20th century gangster action. I think Duel is much more successful a film though; my gripes with the DVD aside, the problem here is that this is really just a servicable Cheh effort with a couple moments of genius. The choreography feels a little disjointed (ha ha) at times. Having seen Five Venoms before this, it's clear that there was later a lot of growth on the hand-to-hand front. Here it feels primordial.

:

I'm of the controversial opinion that Lau Kar Leung was a rather poor choreographer and director of action. He was not involved with the choreography of THE DUEL or VENGEANCE, which feature much more dynamic, cinematic and well paced fights.

I'm of the controversial opinion that Lau Kar Leung was a rather poor choreographer...

Wow! I happen to think the exact opposite is true, LKL was the most brilliant fight choreographer of the 70s. Point. Fucking. Blank.

I for one missed him badly from Chang Che's SHAOLIN TEMPLE on... Look at the mass fight scenes where too many of the Quing soldiers are just staring dumbly at the individual duels from the fringes, sometimes poking up their spears. To me that was the real spoiler of an otherwise awesome movie.

By the way, I also thought that the Mandarin dubbing of CKT and especially Chiang in BOXER FROM SHANTUNG was perfectly fitting their characters. But then again I'm the type of person who does almost anything to evacuate his ears from "silly English dubs"... which admittedly means not being able to see a number of truly great films...:cry:

Guest Markgway
Don't know how much're you are willing to shell out for a BD, Markgway.:wink:

But CONDORS shouldn't cost you more than a tenner (in €) these days. Problem is that most of the German online film suppliers abide to the ludicrous restrictions forced upon them by the FSK (German Voluntary Self-Regulation of the Movie Industry).

Had to become a member of certain movie platforms myself and then run to the post office with my ID because without evidence of your age you can't access their "restricted FSK 18 area" (the post office then notifies the supplier that you're over 18). And in some cases the effort was just to get one friggin' film!!!

Yeah, those restrictions are ludicrous alright. Thing is I'm in Scotland so nipping out to my local German post office is a bit of a trek... lol

I would pay a tenner though as it's a fave of mine.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I'm of the controversial opinion that Lau Kar Leung was a rather poor choreographer and director of action.

WOW, indeed! Im all for personal opinion, and detest sheep mentality..... but some things are just proven fact.... like the earth is round, and water is wet!

May I ask why you think that, and who you think is better, just for an example??

Killer Meteor
WOW, indeed! Im all for personal opinion, and detest sheep mentality..... but some things are just proven fact.... like the earth is round, and water is wet!

May I ask why you think that, and who you think is better, just for an example??

Its the lack of cinematic technique, the stilted pacing, the bias on southern hand based kung fu styles.

Much prefer Tang Chia in partnership with Yuen Cheung Yan for Shaw choreography, and Han Ying Cheih for swordplay - from an early 70s timeframe.

Hey, I rate Yuen Cheung Yan and I truly admire Tang Chia. And of course, Master LKL emphasized Hung Kuen styles in his movies, was therefore "biased" in his choice of fighting techniques if you will... You might prefer to watch Northern styles, whatever. But "lack of cinematic technique", "stilted pacing...", what the hell are you talking about? I must have seen a whole different set of LKL movies than you. Like TWC said, some things are just proven fact. Unfuckwithable.

Yeah, those restrictions are ludicrous alright. Thing is I'm in Scotland so nipping out to my local German post office is a bit of a trek... lol

I would pay a tenner though as it's a fave of mine.

I bought mine through a Polish fellow on ebay.co.uk. There was no FSK nonsense, but it costs about 15.99 GBP. Shipping is free for the UK though!

Its the lack of cinematic technique, the stilted pacing, the bias on southern hand based kung fu styles.

Much prefer Tang Chia in partnership with Yuen Cheung Yan for Shaw choreography, and Han Ying Cheih for swordplay - from an early 70s timeframe.

It's nice to have enjoyed all of these great choreographers, who brought so much to the genre. Each had a cinematic style they made their own. Han Yin Chieh, was another whose swingy armed-trampoline enhanced choreographed fights stood out. They all paved the way for Sammo, Yuen Woo Ping, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, The Venoms, Corey Yuen, Liang Shao Lung, and others.

As a note: I feel Bruce Lee's performance in The Big Boss stood out so well at the time because he was still doing things somewhat the "industry" way. He'd have made a great villain had he allowed himself to be choreographed by someone like Liu Chia Liang.

Killer Meteor

One funny thing about Boxer From Shantung is that throughout the entire film they keep making Wang Chiang out to be a total badass who can't wait to get to grips with Chen Kuan Tai. The finale begins, 2 punches and Wang Chiang is out for the count - and the battle still has 20mins left!

your entitled to your opinion, but to state Lau si-fu's choreography from that era had a bias to Southern styles is wrong.

The first time Pops used genuine Hung Gar, or ANYTHING southern kung fu, orientated choreography was Heroes Two, the swordplay and bashers he was involved in had NO relation to Lam Kuen. The poster professes enjoyment for other choreographers of the time, but dont forget that Tong Gaai, the Yuen clan (who I admire greatly) etc were opera men not kung fu experts, all the genuine innovations in using Chinese Martial Arts can be laid at Pops's doorstep...

When the definitive history of Kung Fu movies is written, Lau si-fu's contribution will be shown to be THE most important in the genre....yes, more so (in my opinion) than Bruce Lee!! Without his efforts kung fu movies would never have evolved...would Sammo have made Warriors Two if Pops's Hung Gar movies failed...I doubt it.

Killer Meteor

To be fair, I wrote that two years ago. I've seen more of Lau's films since then and have a better appreciation of him.

Archived