The Host

Guest shaolindogpaw

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000

I just watched it tonight and I loved it! It is a great film. The special effects are not up to Hollywood standard in places but that doesn't matter because the film just carries you along that you don't notice it too much.

It is marketed as a horror film, which it is, but it's also more because there is a great family story wrapped inside the film. The film is not over-acted, if anything the lack of dialogue helps the film immensely. The critter was cool looking as well, not in a geeky super slick way but in a it looks like a real mutated monstrosity way. I like the undertones of the military and the government things as well, well done, just enough to give you the intent but not in your face like other films. There are some great comedic moments, not like funny gags or lines per say, just funny situations that you will notice in the film and you will probably smile like I did.

All and all a great film. I am sad that a US movie company picked up the remake rights as I'm sure they will probably mess it up, but after Departed, maybe just maybe they can remake this properly. In a perfect world they would sub and release it stateside but sadly that probably won't happen.

[edit - add]

Just read that Host is coming out from Magnolia subtitled in May, but they have not started to promote it at all. So I'm wrong about that but go figure they aren't exactly marketing the film or anything! And Universal has the remake rights, CHUD.com has a story about it today.

Archived