Judge Dredd

ShaOW!linDude

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice catch there, SD!!

I grew up with UK weekly comics and 2000ad is practically in my blood.

Hopefully, this will be more accurate to the world of Dredd than the Stallone film (which wasn't that bad - it certainly got the look right but the story was made up of too many well-used plot devices - oh, and don't get me started on taking Dredd's helmet off! :tongue:)

Alex Garland has scripted this new one, too, so things are looking good.

Also, for US readers, next year will see a ton of 2000ad reprints being released properly ove rthere.

ShaOW!linDude
Hopefully, this will be more accurate to the world of Dredd than the Stallone film (which wasn't that bad - it certainly got the look right but the story was made up of too many well-used plot devices - oh, and don't get me started on taking Dredd's helmet off! :tongue:)

Yeah, it's been a long time since I watched it but I don't remember it being all that bad. The funniest bit in that to me is Rob Schneider doing a spot on impersonation of Stallone to his face.

Guest Markgway

The 1995 films was OK but far from a genre classic.

Stallone was fine in the role and going by that pic of Urban looked better in the helmet. Urban doesn't have that distinctive jawline and looks somewhat dwarfed by the helmet.

But that's only one pic to be fair.

As for helmet being removed that was entirely understandable. The readership of 2000AD comprises only a tiny fraction of the potential worldwide audience and only purists could ever have expected Stallone not to humanise the character by removing the helmet. I would expect Urban to do likewise.

ShaOW!linDude
As for helmet being removed that was entirely understandable. The readership of 2000AD comprises only a tiny fraction of the potential worldwide audience and only purists could ever have expected Stallone not to humanise the character by removing the helmet. I would expect Urban to do likewise.

Good point, Markgway.

Plus, studios pay 'good' money for the leading men to be seen. And without fail that always seems to lead to the big 'unmasking' scene in superhero genre films which to me destroys the 'mystery' of the character both for the film's other characters and the audience. I agree with you that in some cases it humanizes them but I think ultimately it mars the ambiance of the film (does that make sense?) and is often a marketing strategy that ruins the movie. So.......I guess that makes me a purist to some degree.

Looking forward to new JD film...

1995 movie is better than it`s reputation.Prejudice kept me few years away from it but after watching it,was pleasantly surprised.Great it`s not but I have seen farrrrrrrrrr worse too many times (unfortunately):bigsmile:

The helmet is huge and the badge small... maybe it is some sort of special uniform like riot armor or something. I'm pretty excited about this one...

And I don't know what you guys are smoking; the Stallone travesty was that bad! Are sure you aren't confusing it with Demolition Man, which wasn't that bad (it wasn't that good, either).

ShaOW!linDude

Let's see, in 1995, was I still smoking?..............I don't remember. (Memory loss can be a side effect.:ooh:)

I don't have a copy of Judge Dredd but I see they're cheap on Amazon. I don't remember it as being awful 'bad'. Maybe more of campy 'bad'. It could have been a darker, more violent film. But studios still weren't taking 'superhero' movies seriously. I remember it as being a fun movie. (Of course, I may've been smoking.) I know one thing: it can't have been as bad as the updated turn of 'The Phantom' aired on the SyFy channel a few months back. That was......well, it was dreadful. :wink:

I was still running a dollar theater back then... I saw Demolition Man and Judge Dredd about 100 times each and, as a fan, every Dredd showing was like a punch to the gut!

I was still running a dollar theater back then... I saw Demolition Man and Judge Dredd about 100 times each and, as a fan, every Dredd showing was like a punch to the gut!

If it was so bad why bothered watching it again:smile:?Cheap price is not excuse:xd:!

Archived