Best, Worse, But What About Plain Wierd?

Iron Boat

While thinking about Ti Lung films in the DC vs. TL thread their best and worse films are usually mentioned but I wonder what films or performances do fans find strange or weird? For me its Deadly Breaking Sword, Ti Lung and Fu Sheng act very strange in that film, almost as if they have never worked together before.

Fu Shengs scene with the well, sliding under already open doorways?! Those are weird scenes! And after playing a mature and serious character in Avenging Eagle it was kind of a step backwards to play a country bumpkin again. Also his early fight at the gambling table, it was missing his normal energy and enthusiasm.

Ti Lungs character, unfriendly, self absorbed, seemed to be annoyed in his scenes with Fu Sheng, not much there that establishes any kind of real friendship or brotherhood yet Fu Sheng comes to his aid at the end.....Why? As a viewer it was hard to like or sympathize with his character. I was almost hoping he'd be done in by his own sword at the end.

I guess after watching these two in Avenging Eagle, DBS was a good looking but strange follow up. Also it is a pretty quiet movie, hardly any background music or ambiance. I sometimes wonder if the film was unfinished or rushed to the cinema, it doesn't have Sun Chungs normal brilliance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

For me DBS is one of the very best Shaw movies. Possibly top 20. Such a well made film. Fu Sheng was great, and of course Ti Lung was smooth as can be. The well scene with Lily Li, yes it was weird, but she deserved it. It was a very different movie, but it hit all the right notes.

Another strange but good movie is Supreme Swordsman. The lead actor is the villain Pai Paio. He's a real weirdo in this movie.

Damn

Brave Archer series has to be the weirdest movies I have seen so far.

I mean, the guy mistankenly attacks the 7 and even though he was mistaken and did no damage, they had to setlle it? and to agree to do it 18 years later with the 2 kids fighting to see who had the better teachers??? LOL - and that is just the begining. I really liked it for the complex story most of all. Just like I enjoyed 'The Silmarillion' more than 'Lord of the Rings'.

Heh heh....

Morgoth Bauglir

Have you listened to the commentary by Brian Camp for part 1 on the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock DVD? I’ve never read the books, so I found it very interesting finding out about all the stuff they left out of the movie. I enjoyed all the movies too. I would rank the 3rd the best, then the 4th, then 2, then 1. And I saw Little Dragon Maiden recently, which is sort of part 5. I would say it is by far the worst out of the 5.

I wonder if people who enjoyed The Silmarillion would like the Brave Archer movies more than other people. That’s something that never would have popped into my mind until reading your post. LOTR is awesome, but, yeah, The Silmarillion is on a whole different level. I can’t even read books any more after reading The Silmarillion and the history volumes, because they all suck compared to The Silmarillion. I became a bit too obsessed with those books I think:tongue:

Have you listened to the commentary by Brian Camp for part 1 on the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock DVD? I’ve never read the books, so I found it very interesting finding out about all the stuff they left out of the movie. I enjoyed all the movies too. I would rank the 3rd the best, then the 4th, then 2, then 1. And I saw Little Dragon Maiden recently, which is sort of part 5. I would say it is by far the worst out of the 5.

I wonder if people who enjoyed The Silmarillion would like the Brave Archer movies more than other people. That’s something that never would have popped into my mind until reading your post. LOTR is awesome, but, yeah, The Silmarillion is on a whole different level. I can’t even read books any more after reading The Silmarillion and the history volumes, because they all suck compared to The Silmarillion. I became a bit too obsessed with those books I think:tongue:

Cool, I will have to look out for Little Dragon Maiden, Never heard of it. Thanks.

I used to watch Black Belt Theater as a kid, but just recently started collecting Shaw Movies (Mostly Fu Sheng, but I am branching into others) I only watched Brave Archers once or twice through and need to watch them a bit more. I think 1 is my favorite so far, but that could change.

Can you believe The Silmarillion was really a mishmosh pieced together? I don't even care, give his son credit for doing a superb job - Feanor & his sons and the lineage of all of them...Gondolin, Nargothrond, Doriath...you are right. Nothing will ever compare to that. I'd like to see them make a movie of that, rather than The 9ugh) Hobbit! The story of Tuor was expanded in "Unfinished Tales', correct? as well as the Numenor island, Ciriol and Eorl The quest of Erebor, Narn I Hin Hurin (The tales of the children of Hurin) ...It is hard to remember off the top of my head, But That was a fine read also. Funny seeing your username - I could always picture so vividly in my head while reading the scene where Morgoth Stomps on Fingolfin, as well as the part where Fingon has his Banner trod into his blood or however it went. (when I read it, I can see it with my minds eye as if it were a movie)

Man The 1st age was my favorite!

Good to know someone is of a like mind. :biggrin:

Peace

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh man, I agree, that fight between Morgoth and Fingolfin is so memorable. I had tears of sadness and of joy when Fingolfin rode to the gates of Angband and challenged Morgoth to come out for single combat. And Morgoth came.

2174751119_eb17e6708e.jpg

It is hard to believe how great of a job C. Tolkien did putting together the pieces of his father’s work. The story of Turin Turumbar and his family is my favorite story. It would make for a great movie, as would many other stories in The Silmarillion. You are right in Unfinished Tales more about Tuor and his coming to Gondolin is told. I haven’t read that in 6 years or so. I think I will be rereading all the books soon. I used to read them about every 2 years.

Morgoth Bauglir

Ti Lungs character, unfriendly, self absorbed, seemed to be annoyed in his scenes with Fu Sheng, not much there that establishes any kind of real friendship or brotherhood yet Fu Sheng comes to his aid at the end.....Why?

Just watched this movie again. The reason Fu Sheng helps out Ti Lung is because Fu Sheng is in love with Shih Szu. Szu wants revenge on Ku Feng, so Fu Sheng helps Ti lung fight Chan Wai Man because he is Ku Feng’s hired killer. Plus, Fu Sheng and Ti Lung do become friends with about 30 minutes left in the movie. And Fu Sheng ended up earning the respect of Ti Lung when he found out how great of a fighter Fu Sheng is.

Just watched this movie again. The reason Fu Sheng helps out Ti Lung is because Fu Sheng is in love with Shih Szu. Szu wants revenge on Ku Feng, so Fu Sheng helps Ti lung fight Chan Wai Man because he is Ku Feng’s hired killer. Plus, Fu Sheng and Ti Lung do become friends with about 30 minutes left in the movie. And Fu Sheng ended up earning the respect of Ti Lung when he found out how great of a fighter Fu Sheng is.

I tend to think Ti Lung and Fu Sheng both took a shine to Shih Szu in TDBS. Beyond remarking on her beauty, Fu Sheng (pretty much) sticks to being "The Little Dagger" throughout the whole movie!

There's an element of parody in the story (as Mark Pollard has observed), too; Ti Lung is doing a send up of his many characters from Shaw wuxia pictures, for example. (The friendship he and Fu Sheng develop in the film remind me of the adversarial relationship Henry Fonda and Terence Hill had in My Name is Nobody.)

TDBS is not as serious as The Avenging Eagle in an odd sort of way; this atmosphere threw me off the first time I saw it, but repeat viewings have warmed me up to its quirkiness! The spare background music adds to the flavor; Celestia'sl adding music to the quiet moments like they did on the IVL DVD was not the brightest thing to do! (Thank goodness I have the Image DVD with the undoctored English and Mandarin soundtracks. Notably, the English subs for both discs aren't exactly the same, making for some interesting comparisons in parts!)

Cool, thanks for adding this observation cause you guys lost me with the Hobbits. :ooh:

Morgoth Bauglir
Cool, thanks for adding this observation cause you guys lost me with the Hobbits. :ooh:

Yeah, sorry, if someone mentions The Silmarillion I can't control myself from talking about it. And FYI, there's no hobbits in the Silmarillion. This book is full of really dark tales involving gods, men, elves, dragons, dwarves...

Luthien_and_Morgoth.jpg

I found "Heaven & Hell" weird. Very weird.

Trippy little Chang Cheh film starring Fu Sheng and Jenny ...and an amazing cast (http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=1557). Surprised people don't talk about it more.

Love this movie. Image Entertainment really messed up their release of this not including the English dub.

Archived