Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt - Theatrical Release

HAZ

Yes, it's a print. I have to check out the opening reel - I've been looking at the reels out of sequence, so I don't know what the credits look like. I wish I worked for a film company. I recently also saw a print of Rumble in the Bronx - Eng dub & Spanish subs.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I enjoyed THUNDERBOLT. Yeah, it's got major flaws, but most Hong Kong movies do. There are some great sequences too. I enjoyed the characters, the simple, but interesting story, and the fights were cool. Yes, there's stunt doubling, but the fights are still exciting. I usually get annoyed when there's too much of that stutter-like slow motion, but it doesn't spoil the action. The fight in the pachinko parlor is brutal! And I like the scene where they "shake Jackie up" in his home. For JC fans that haven't seen it, it's definitely worth seeing. I have that wacky Taiwanese DVD that ShaOW!linDude described, and also the region 1 release (which I never even looked at yet).

One Armed Boxer
Okay, I just quickly checked my copy of this. It was put out by.....get this......Funny Multimedia Corporation.

I have a few Jackie Chan DVD's from this Taiwan based company as well....'Rumble in the Bronx', 'Who Am I?', & 'Mr Nice Guy'. In my opinion they are the best versions of the movies, as they feature the full length Taiwan versions on one side of the disc, all be it in Cantonese only, and the trimmed down English language releases on the other side.

About 'Thunderbolt'....I'm sure I read somewhere that this film was made as an attempt to increase Jackie's then waning popularity in Japan.

It is true that he injured his ankle during the filming of the water skiing with only his feet scene in 'Rumble in the Bronx'. That movie was also supposed to finish with the usual classic Jackie all out fight scene, but due to the injury it was changed to the laugh inducing hovercroft finale with Jackie and the 'bronx thugs' triumphantly shouting "Yeah!".

Hence the extensive doubling in 'Thunderbolt'...

Reel Power Stunts
=

It is true that he injured his ankle during the filming of the water skiing with only his feet scene in 'Rumble in the Bronx'. That movie was also supposed to finish with the usual classic Jackie all out fight scene, but due to the injury it was changed to the laugh inducing hovercroft finale with Jackie and the 'bronx thugs' triumphantly shouting "Yeah!".

Hence the extensive doubling in 'Thunderbolt'...

He injured his ankle jumping off the bridge onto the hovercraft. Also while it would seem likely that an end fight was cut due to the injury, I'm sure I read/saw an interview with JC or Stanley where they said the hovercraft ending was always the plan - not an end fight.

all be it in Cantonese only

Mandarin:wink:.

If you don't mind the lack of subs, the Japanese DVDs are probably better.

Yes, it's a print. I have to check out the opening reel - I've been looking at the reels out of sequence, so I don't know what the credits look like. I wish I worked for a film company. I recently also saw a print of Rumble in the Bronx - Eng dub & Spanish subs.

Wow. 'Rumble' is the New Line one, yeah? I doubt export versions were prepared for it though.

Archived