Jackie Chan's Thunderbolt - Theatrical Release

HAZ

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the theatrical release of Thunderbolt was English dubbed? Was the film print subbed? What would the OG language be, and was the film subbed in Chinese in the theater?

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

The Hong Kong release is listed as Cantonese (though I think there was a mix of languages in the original track - Cantonese, English, Japanese, etc). It would have been subbed regardless as all theatrical releases at that time (circa 1995) required Chinese and English subtitles.

Never released theatrically in the US (where it went DTV) or UK (where it's yet to surface).

The Hong Kong release is listed as Cantonese (though I think there was a mix of languages in the original track - Cantonese, English, Japanese, etc). It would have been subbed regardless as all theatrical releases at that time (circa 1995) required Chinese and English subtitles.

Never released theatrically in the US (where it went DTV) or UK (where it's yet to surface).

Is there a chance that the subs are only in Chinese, with no english sub track?

Thanks!

ShaOW!linDude

I remember hearing that JC didn't want that film released in the US, not even on video. I think he wasn't too pleased with the production value in certain scenes (example: the race). I ordered my copy like four years before there was an official US dvd release. Thought I had something and suddenly they're floating around all over the place.

I'll try to look at the languages and subs on it tomorrow if you think it'll help you and let you know what I find.

Thanks!

Most of the HK movies I saw around that time had both traditional (complex) Chinese and English subtitles... but most video releases put on fresh subtitles. Since the film wasn't released theatrically in ANY English speaking country (not even Australia), I don't think there was ever a dubbed version for theaters. There might be an Icelandic dub... that probably doesn't help you.

I tried to watch it a couple of times and never stayed awake long enough to see the middle, much less the end!

ShaOW!linDude

Now I'm going to have to watch it again. I don't remember him being doubled.

I like it as a whole. There's a great fight at the garage his character owns and then later at a pachinko parlor. The end is rather anti-climatic though.

Jackie is doubled loads and the fights scenes have a load of crappy slow motion bits!

If I remember correctly, just the pachinko parlor fight and the swing-the-trailer-around-on-the-crane sequence have the shitty blur-o-vision effects. The garage fight (well directed by Sammo Hung) is top notch, so much so that the heavy doubling doesn't bother me at all. The car chase with Jackie and Anita Yuen vs Cougar is great (directed by Gordon Chan), and there's a nice gun battle in a police station that almost seems spliced in from some other Gordon Chan film - but whatever, it's entertaining. The less said about the Frankie Chan-directed finale, the better.

It's a wildly uneven film - not surprising considering Jackie Chan, Frankie Chan, Sammo Hung, Gordon Chan, and Cory Yuen apparently all directed parts of it - but the US DVD is very cheap and the only New Line release of a Hong Kong film that's not re-edited, dub-only, or rescored. This is definitely not a film I'd watch start to finish more than once, but it's worth owning just for the good bits, which are very good indeed. And as a WB-owned Golden Harvest film, it's probably never getting any better than the releases which are currently available.

Guest Markgway

No. Theatrical subs had to be Chinese and English combined.

ShaOW!linDude

You're right, Markgway. But..........dadgummit..........I still like it in places. It's just the end........that final race is just horrendously overly undercranked or sped up or whatever they did to it. It's freaking Keystone Kop comical. Maybe Chan is a big Benny Hill fan, too. (I sure am.:tongue:)

Wasn't Jackie still recovering form the broken ankle he received in the hovercraft jump from RUMBLE IN THE BRONX. So, I heard Chin Ka Lok and others doubled his fights.

ShaOW!linDude
Wasn't Jackie still recovering form the broken ankle he received in the hovercraft jump from RUMBLE IN THE BRONX. So, I heard Chin Ka Lok and others doubled his fights.

I thought RITB came out a couple of years later. I know it was released in the US (theatrically and dvd) prior to Thunderbolt (dvd only) but I think Thunderbolt precedes it. Wait a sec...........

.........Okay, this may not be very authoritative but Amazon had Thunderbolt released in 1995 and RITB in 1996.

Guest Yi-Long

I thought this was one of the better Jackie movies to come out in the '90's.

Yeah the fightscenes weren't fantastic and the racing scenes were cranked up, but the story was nice, as was the pacing and the rest of the cast. It's just an enjoyable flick to watch.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I just quickly checked my copy of this. It was put out by.....get this......Funny Multimedia Corporation.

The language choice is either Dolby Surround 5.1 Chinese or DTS Chinese. It's letterbox presentation with both Chinese and English subs appearing at the bottom. My dvd jacket is completely in Chinese. No English whatsoever except for the title translation. I scanned it in places and the copy is a little scratchy and grainy in places. I can't get an accurate running time without watching the whole movie as the dvd is broken down into only 4 scene chapters and sometimes the time count restarts and sometimes it doesn't. The first chapter runs 27 mins. and the fourth runs 55 mins. I cant' tell what chapters 2 and 3 run.

It's a bizarre edition to say the least. The copyright date is 1995 though.

Just checked David Rees site. It's the Taiwan edition.

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/category/jackie-chan-movies-t

I thought RITB came out a couple of years later. I know it was released in the US (theatrically and dvd) prior to Thunderbolt (dvd only) but I think Thunderbolt precedes it. Wait a sec...........

.........Okay, this may not be very authoritative but Amazon had Thunderbolt released in 1995 and RITB in 1996.

Release order and shooting order aren't necessarily the same! Besides, both films were out in Hong Kong in 1995. Amazon might give you original, US or DVD release date; even though they are owned by Amazon, IMDB generally does a better job. It lists opening in multiple countries and says RITB was Jan 21, 1995 (HK) and Thunderbolt was August 5, 1995 (HK).

ShaOW!linDude

Well, there you have it. I never would've thought that. 2 in one year? Why can't guys nowadays do that?

It's decent. Go into it with low expectations.

It´s OK...for what it`s worth it`s lot better than any jackies hollywood movie(that is not such applause tho) and there is some decent fighting..but not in the end:neutral:

Guest Markgway

That's right.

Well, I'm not sure what i found, but I've come across a theatrical print of Thunderbolt OG lang, no subs. I would have though that it would have had eng subs for sure!

Well, I'm not sure what i found, but I've come across a theatrical print of Thunderbolt OG lang, no subs. I would have though that it would have had eng subs for sure!

Where does one "come across" a print of THUNDERBOLT anyway? 35mm I assume... does it have opening credits or is it "textless" like the New Line print, where they added the credits in (sloppily, the font looks like a local used car commercial circa 1994) after the film was transferred to video? You don't work at Warner Bros, do you?

Archived