David Chiang vs. Ti Lung

Iron Boat

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I agree that Ti Lung was limited in the types of characters he could play. He definitely wasn't the comedy type. His characters were heroic in nature. Chiang had a wider range of characters, and could be playful or whimsical.

KFS

kungfusamurai
^dun forget excellent Deadly Duo ...while Ti Lung supposed to be hero it`s Chiang character who made hero possible to escape by giving up own life.

Chiang was definitely a martyr, as was Fu Sheng.

KFS

Propably tie..Ti Lung better onscreen fighter but Chiand had better appear on screen in general....If really need to choose one it would be Ti Lung, solid performances in various without chiang(take a look at scripts of movies it MIGHT affect a bit)...where movies chiang alone, even as loot as challenger and shaolin abbot are not up to movies ti lung starred without him...

But Chiang is the man is 5 shaolin masters, shaolin temple, have sword will travel and deadly duo:bigsmile:

Has to be Ti Lung!!

Dont get me wrong, I have always loved David Chiang's performances, and certainly if your talking about comedy then David definitely seems more comfortable, BUT shapeswise-just watch Ti Lung's blistering handwork in Shaolin Temple or Kung Fu Emperor, or the masterpiece that is The Heroes.

Here's another thing, even something as ropy as Inheritor of Kung Fu is lifted by Ti Lung's mere prescence, let alone when he starts shaping out.....could David do the same, lift a crappy movie just by appearing onscreen???

Overall I'd have to go with Ti Lung. I think he brought more to the table for the movies he was in.

I'd agree that David Chiang's skills were better than normal in 'The Loot". I don't know if Eric Tsang gets the credit for the way he directed him, but I would like to have seen him perform that well in all of his movies.

Both actors are great though, and I always enjoy seeing them on the screen together!

I think David Chiang was a little better actor, and Ti Lung was a better real martial artist. Not to say that DC wasn't capable of great fight scences, or that TL wasn't a solid actor----but, I think I prefer DC in pre-1974 Shaw movies, with his swordplay roles, and more modern outings like Vengeance, The Duel, Singing Killer, Anonymous Heroes. I think TL was a bit stronger after 1974 or so, when Shaws started focusing more on traditional kung fu styles which Ti Lung was better at and had a better physique for.

For David Chiang. The reason I pick him is because in New One-Arm Swordsman, his talent for acting could be seen in how he projected a brooding-type presence. In the rainfall scene where the leading-lady was trying to talk to him, DC managed to project a very brooding presence. That's the closest thing to what we see Ichikawa Raizo do in his role of Nemuri Kyoshiro (even though it's a Japanese film-series).

Not only that, but DC has versatility too, because his multi-faceted ability can be also seen in another movie where he played a roguish-type fellow. I don't remember the film's title, so maybe somebody can help me with the title here. But it's the one which had a scene where he's up in a tree, and among other things, his versatility enabled him to delightfully convey the image of a mischievous imp.

And there are many other roles which show his versatility.

To answer the first post, Ti Lung played a funny role in Friend from inner space. I don't remember to have seen him doing comedy in any other movie I watched...

They are both excellent and it's very difficult to choose, but my first top favourite Shaw actor has always been David Chiang.

Some people here say that he seems to not being a good fighter, but it's not the way I see that matter. Maybe you should watch also his series in order to get a better opinion...:wink:

Some interesting series : Green dragon conspiracy, The gold conveyors, Ma's assassination (kind of remake of Blood brothers, shot in 1992), Jagged Yang Warriors, Mystery of the Condor Heroes...

And I'm also a big fan of Ti Lung, of course...

Also, among David's best roles, I think that Shaolin hand lock was one of his best ones, in addtion to Shaolin mantis, The loot, Blooded treasury fight and the other ones mentioned in a previous list.

No way I copuld pick between these 2 & the more I watch their movies over & over, the more it could never be done for me. It really is a 50/50 deal - 2 sides of a coin.

Ti Lung was just the coolest thing going in Magic Blade & Convict Killer - David was ice cold in Vengeance & The Duel & I always thought he was a great actor. They are totally night & day personality wise & I'd never be able to choose. They are both 10's to me.

Secret Executioner

I've been a fan of Ti Lung pretty much since I got into Shaw Bros movies (the first one I bought was Legend Of The Bat, though I only watched it much later), while I found out of David Chiang later on. Can't explain why I like the guy so much (guess it's because at a time I heavily associated SB to him, as though he was their big star), but I guess a movie with him in it could well be a must buy for me.

And to be fair, while I always liked Ti Lung (in spite of LOTB not doing that much for me), I wasn't too sold on David Chiang at first. His character in The Water Margin seems to be Mr. Perfect (in spite of acting I found wooden - the scene where he first appears playing flute to girls didn't feel very convincing) and I didn't enjoy the performance that much. I found him okay as the lead in The Wandering Swordsman, but this film isn't that great IMO - still found his character here more interesting and pretty likeable. The movie where I REALLY got sold on David Chiang is The New One-Armed Swordsman. The character is highly developed with a grim backstory, an evolution that sees him hit rock bottom with an awful condition and ultimately, he snaps and this leads to an epic climax to the movie. This would be my favorite character of his so far, but the fact Chiang pulls it out greatly made me realize his acting chops were in fact really impressive - on the other hand Ti Lung plays a very enjoyable character, but he seems too one-dimensional as all I recall of this guy is that he's essentially a skilled but hot-headed swordsman.

Much like Eastern Evil, choosing between the two would be very hard as they are two greats of the studio, especially when in a Chang Cheh movie - speaking of which, I still have Have Sword, Will Travel, Blood Brothers and The Pirate sitting around waiting to be watched.

Chiand but the gap is so narrow I could choose Ti Lung on moment after great movie with him is finished.

I should propably watch "soul of the sword" from unseen pile in next few days..or months:neutral::squigglemouth::tongue:

I'm with most who say they can't choose one of the two.

Overall, is also agree with the common thought that Chaing is a better actor, and Ti Lung is a better fighter.

With that said, they're both good at fighting and acting. To those who think Ti Lung has no range, watch him in Blood Brothers, and then in Shaolin Prince as the ignorant and innocent.

If you think Chiang has no fighting ability, check out Shaolin Mantis.(which is also a great acting performance from him)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

They are 'BIRDS' of the feather that flocked together.

Yin-Yang

Yin = David

Yang = Ti

Yin+Yang equal the DYNAMIC DUO.

Similar to these two.

LOL! :tongue:

Batman%20(1966)%20Batman%20and%20Robin.jpg

They compliment each other so well.

No choice, I am of the yin-yang formula just issued.

vengeance-1970-david-chiang-and-ti-lung.jpg?w=730

all-men-are-brothers-12.jpg

GD Y-Y

Archived