David Chiang vs. Ti Lung

Iron Boat

Most fans may like Ti Lung more but did u ever think that DC may be more diverse? I'm thinking about the late 70's and the kind of roles each man was playing. While Ti Lung was mainly playing a similar type of character in many Chor Yuen films, DC was playing very diverse roles like Shaolin Mantis, The Loot, Shaolin Abbott, Judgement of an Assassin, The Challenger, Blooded Treasury Fight, these roles, imo, are very different from the other, physically and character wise.

I wonder If Ti Lung could pull off a comedic role like The Loot, thing is, when has Ti Lung ever been funny? Or can he do an open hand film like Shaolin Mantis? I know his wing Chun was good but its rare you'll find Ti lung in a film without a sword or weapon. DC even proved with Murder Plot that he could do a Chor Yuen film just as confusing and nauseating as Ti lung.

So while Ti Lung has done many great films during his career its clear he stuck with what he did best, sword films. DC on the other hand seems to never pass on an opportunity to play a different kind of hero. So in terms of diversity, DC just may have a greater range.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm riding with David Chaing . I always liked him personally better than Ti Lung , favorite DC role - The Rover in " Duel of the Iron Fist ".

Morgoth Bauglir

I like DC, but I like Ti Lung a whole lot more. Ti Lung was so much more badass, I don’t think DC could pull off the roles in Magic Blade and Avenging Eagle the way Ti Lung did. Ti Lung was at his best being a badass, so that’s the roles he usually played. DC had more easy going characters, which is what he did best. But I think Ti Lung was better than Chiang at both types of roles.

Ti Lung did do comedy roles sometimes like Shaolin Prince and The Heroic One, and plenty of hand to hand fights like Death Ring, Delightful Forest, Ten Tigers of Kwangtung and Shaolin Temple.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

This is an interesting question on the one time 'dynamic duo'.

I have to also go w/ Ti Lung (BUT) I have always had David Chiang in my top list of the many male kung fu movie stars who are in my list.

Now Ti Lung just had a presence, mind that, it put him a cut above the rest.

As for always using a weapon. I prefer kung fu movies w/ weapons. When the weapon is lost the hand to hand begins. And in general I prefer sword movies overall in my flicks.

David Chiang is better in comedy because he has a cherub face. With a smile like no other.

What was the question?:tongue:

GD Y-Y

David Chiang is better in comedy because he has a cherub face. With a smile like no other.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? :tongue:

Pray for your life GDYY!!! Hhahahahahah!!! The two fantastic, soberbial, supernatural, charismatic, sensual, brutally exciting, beautiful, wonderful and "etc" was Alexander Fu Sheng and Meng Fei.

I go for Ti Lung all my life 100%. He was THE presence on screen. Seductor and ambitious in Blood Brothers, a touch of comedy in Shaolin Prince, tortured one in Avenging Eagle, imazing in Jade Tiger, then Five Shaolin Masters, The Sentimental Swordman ("the" character), The Kung Fu Instructor, Tiger Killer (impressive)... just as examples for me, for his versatile way of acting, expression, charisma.. is not the same with D Chiang in my opinion, many roles do not fit in him well, that is a signal of tiny problems when we talk about a complete artist.

Alexandra

I'll agree with the first post. David Chiang is more flexible, Ti Lung is always the same even his smiling looks threatening. Not saying he's not talented or something but Ti Lung could never play & deliver Robert Yang character like David Chiang! Chiang is superior in everything. And almost everything he directed is a good example of great hong kong humour!

I would like to add The Savage Five, The Impostor and The Condemned to that special list.

Alexandria you mentioned 5 Shaolin Masters, that was a great ensemble piece but I do think David Chaing stole that film not only from Ti Lung but also from your lover boys Meng Fei and Fu Sheng :kiss: IMO, he easily became the most dominant character and wielded the most interesting weapon.

Good topic. I think Ti Lung was a better screen fighter certainly, but I'd probably agree with Iron Boat that DC had more range. Also, I'd say David Chiang's performance in Vengeance was probably superior to any role of Ti Lung's. They're pretty even in my book, though----a starring role for either of them means a purchase for me. :bigsmile:

I like DC, but I like Ti Lung a whole lot more. Ti Lung was so much more badass, I don’t think DC could pull off the roles in Magic Blade and Avenging Eagle the way Ti Lung did. Ti Lung was at his best being a badass, so that’s the roles he usually played. DC had more easy going characters, which is what he did best. But I think Ti Lung was better than Chiang at both types of roles.

Ti Lung did do comedy roles sometimes like Shaolin Prince and The Heroic One, and plenty of hand to hand fights like Death Ring, Delightful Forest, Ten Tigers of Kwangtung and Shaolin Temple.

Without question Magic Blade, Avenging Eagle, and I'll add Soul of the Sword are my favorite performances by Ti Lung mainly cause as u stated he was a badazz. It makes me wish he played an anti hero more often, I discovered that the anti hero films are my favorite kind of Shaw film. Which is why Chen Kuan Tai became my favorite Shaw Star, he is tops at playing a badazz.

Alexandria you mentioned 5 Shaolin Masters, that was a great ensemble piece but I do think David Chaing stole that film not only from Ti Lung but also from your lover boys Meng Fei and Fu Sheng :kiss: IMO, he easily became the most dominant character and wielded the most interesting weapon.

Dear IronBoat.... Five Shaolin Master is a proof of "how to select the actor for a role", thinking not in the normal way, that is to say, a multitalent actor who can play various roles without any doubt, on the contrary, Chang Cheh thought "what could be the best role for that actor?". And is ok!

I guess that was the reason because this "magnificent five" worked very well, each one in their own skills. I do not think that the dart is the most interesting weapon, all the martial arts weapons are very difficult and attractive at the same time. I put by example the fan, the people think that is very simple to play but is not true. :nerd:

My "lover boys" Alexander and Fei Fei will be my adorable boys forever, sure. :tongue:

Alexandra

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ti Lung, based on screen fighting skills, screen prescence, and factoring in his later dramatic work from the 80's and 90's.

Though i do like DC as well!

Guest Masked Avenger

While my favouite SB stars are Chen Kuan Tai and "Venoms", i like both Chiang and Lung's movies. But if I think about who is versus who the winner is David Chiang. I find him more charismatic and better actor.

Ti Lung, action and acting.

The Blood Brothers

The Magic Blade

Delightful Forest

The Sentimental Swordsman

The New One-Armed Swordsman

The Convict Killer

David Chiang... seemed to have an appeal that endeared his characters to an audience. My favorite characters from him:

Young Dragon (The Water Margin)

The Rover (The Duel)

The Thief (The Savage Five)

The Constable (The Pirate)

Lei Li (The New One-Armed Swordsman)

The Wandering Swordsman

Here's my honest opinion: I think that David Chiang was the better actor, but Ti Lung was definitely the better fighter and always played characters with likeable personality and not always the self-pitying like David Chiang did, but he did it so well. I prefer Ti Lung, because he just had that hero swagger and I could always rest assure he could defeat the enemies convincingly in the end, unlike David Chiang(which I think Chang Cheh made a huge mistake always having David Chiang the main hero and beating people, we all know have far more superior skills than he did). But both did their thing and is respected by me.:bigsmile:

The more I've seen the less hesitant I am and I pick David Chiang.

Greater versatility and range, sharper edge, more sophistication. I love Ti Lung but DC appeals to me more.

Here's my honest opinion: I think that David Chiang was the better actor, but Ti Lung was definitely the better fighter and always played characters with likable personality and not always the self-pitying like David Chiang did, but he did it so well.
I agree. Both had their pluses and this statement seems to encompass my feelings.

Love this photo. Bet they would have given Crockett & Tubbs a run for their money (haha).

miamishaw.jpg

I think these two are the most comparable Shaw stars because they played a similar kind of heroic character in many films. Would of been interesting to see them on competing sides more often like in Blood Brothers. I know Ti Lung won an acting award for that film but DC's courtroom scenes where awesome. DC in many films easily rivaled the best Western actors.

Chiang of course...among 1st shaws I saw were new one armed swordsman and deadly duo...and he was soooo great.Ti lung is cool too but on screen chiang is more likeable character.Ti lung is like stallone,when looks mean is creadible but when smile is fake.

Ti Lung -- while I think he's great, and he was the lead in a number of Chu Yuan Gu Long adaptations, he wins this contest almost by default. Chiang got stuck playing the IMO extremely annoying smartaleck archetype found in too many SB films (Fu Sheng also got saddled with this as well). He did fine outside of these roles, but I will always have a negative reaction to him because of them.

I do not think that the dart is the most interesting weapon,

that and chainwhip+3 section staff are most interesting weapons but very difficult to make them look intesting on screen for flexible weapons except 3staff-

I think this is really a hard question to answer both are excellent Actors/M.A. I would have to give Ti Lung the edge over David Chiang but only slightly. Ti Lung to me can really carry the star presence more than DC. There films together are some of the best that SB ever put out, and there solo movies are exceptional as well. The 2 that stand out are Avenging Eagle & Shaolin Mantis.

^dun forget excellent Deadly Duo ...while Ti Lung supposed to be hero it`s Chiang character who made hero possible to escape by giving up own life.

Have Sword Will Travel Is another favorite. In regards to Avenging Eagle, the first time I watched it I do recall wondering if Fu Sheng's character was originally written for David Chiang.

Archived