Fort of Death (69)

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I've been looking for Eiichi Kudo's 1969 Samurai western Fort of Death. Does anyone know if there is a subtitled version floating around anywhere out there? Does anyone have a version of it? Has anyone seen it? I cant find out anything about it. Can anyone help me out?

post-1595-144191888242_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that movie is the one with Wakayama Tomisaburo. As far as I know they haven't been released yet, I think it was a trilogy, but Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com was trying to get a remastered version and subtitle them. I have one of those movies Killer's Mission which one I have, and these movies were the reason he made the The Bounty Hunter TV Series.

BlackLamaFaction
I believe that movie is the one with Wakayama Tomisaburo. As far as I know they haven't been released yet, I think it was a trilogy, but Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com was trying to get a remastered version and subtitle them. I have one of those movies Killer's Mission which one I have, and these movies were the reason he made the The Bounty Hunter TV Series.

Hey Daisho, how is the quality your version of Killers Mission? The version I heard about was not so good. I didn't know these films were the inspiration for the Bounty Hunter. I have heard that Fort of Death was very Spaghetti Western inspired which sounded like such a departure from the other Eiichi Kudo films I've seen. I would love to get a copy if Merlin does a custom.

BLF: Let me check it out for you, give me a few days and if its good, I'll burn you a copy. I think it was pretty decent really cannot remember though. I know the action scenes were great! I did write a review of it in the post-its: Samurai Movies & there sequels.

kungfusamurai

There was someone on Ebay who used to sell as Martialfan. One time I asked for a complete list of what they had, and their PDF included Fort of Death as a non-subtitled VHS. I wish I had jumped on that, because they disappeared, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere since.

Isn't there also a third film in that Shokin Kasegi series?

KFS

KFS: Yes it was a trilogy then it spawned into the TV Series The Bounty Hunter. Merlin said he does have all 3 movies he just hasn't finished them yet, I know he said he was almost done with the 2nd. film though.

BlackLamaFaction

I'm pretty sure the other film in the trilogy has no english translation title. The Japanese title in our alphabet is Shokin Kubi: Isshun Hachinin Giri. Shokin Kubi translates to something like Bounty on your Head. Giri, I know from other films means Duty the rest of the title is a mystery to me. Can anyone translate it?

kungfusamurai

Thanks for the info guys. I will be looking forward to seeing those sequels on DVD. I bet they'll be somewhat comedic, like the first film was. LOL - when he did that Zatoichi parody.

KFS

KFS: I loved when he did the Zatoichi scene, that was awesome!

BLF: I found The Killers Mission aka Shokin Kasegi which I think is the 1st. in the series. My copy looks like an old VHS but its good. If your interested let me know.

Parts 2 & 3 are going to be released at samuraidvd.com

Here's the complete list of coming attractions:

post-11686-14419188879_thumb.jpg

Archived