Code of Silence-possibly Chuck's finest!

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

This is one of my favorite Chuck Norris films and I think his finest overall movie. It has a great story, acting, and action, especially the bar fight scene which is a classic. This was made by the same director of Above the Law and The Fugitive with many of the same actors. Another thing in common with these films is that they were shot in Chicago which seems to be a favorite filming location of the director Andrew Davis. I believe if Chuck kept on making A list type movies like this he would have been the next Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen. Then again, I guess he wouldn't have became such a big hit on tv and we wouldn't have had Walker Texas Ranger. I respect Chuck not only as an martial artist/action star but also as a great person as well. Anybody else a fan of Code of Silence?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shaolindogpaw

ive always been a fan of chuck norris, haven't seen code of silence but since you recommended it ill watch it. Did you ever see the clips on the Conan O'brien show where he had the lever that he pulled, and everytime he did they would play clips from Walker Texas Ranger. It was hillarious.

I use to be (and still am) a big Chuck Norris fan when I was younger, he seems to be the butt of many jokes, but when it comes down to it, I believe he still could clean house. I can't remember if I seen this or not, I remember a thread on Slaughter in San Francisco, how was that movie, I know I never seen that one.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Well Tosh, Slaughter in San Francisco is a cheesy movie in a good way imo and one so bad it's good. Chuck Norris plays the bigshot mafia leader villain of Frisco in this and he's got very few scenes until the very end. Wong Tao plays the ex-cop who is determined to get Norris and his henchman for the death of his Cop partner. It features a pretty good fight at the end between Wong and Norris, Chuck gets to show off his wicked spinning back and hook kick in it. Wong kinda reminds me of Bruce Lee in this with his facial expressions. If your interested in getting this on dvd, the best version is the Italian Disc you can get from xploitedcinema, that's where I got mine.

Also, if you've never seen Code of Silence please see it. I promise you won't be dissapointed! ;)

Very funny clips dogpaw, thanks! :lol

Guest rebelliousreign1

Yeah in a review I wrote on IMDB I said how much I liked this film. I found it ironic that Clint Eastwood turned it down as a Dirty Harry film when imo, it's superior to both Dirty Harry films he did do in the 80s.

Love the bus chase/pursuit scene and the climactic shootout. The subplot with the corrupt cop is excellent and imo more interesting than the main Mafia rivalry plot.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I never knew that this movie was originally intended as a Dirty Harry vehicle for Eastwood, thanks for the info RR1!

Guest jirpy100

It probably provided inspiration for Walker, Texas Ranger too. The partner, the bar, the chats... I immediately thought of Chuck's series.

I don't think it was as good as Above the Law though.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I always figured Walker was a spinoff of the character Chuck played in the film Lone Wolf McQuade. Of course, the Walker character was alot more clean cut than the grubby loner persona of JJ McQuade with none of the Native American roots/ancestery of Walker. I prefer Code of Silence over Above the Law simply because I like Norris over Seagal and also think the story is better. Above the Law is a good film too and along with Under Siege I think is Seagal's best two films. My personel favorite of his is Out for Justice strictly for the action.

Guest moviegyrl

I saw a few of Chuck Norris films as a child. However, I don't remember this one. I'll check it out (esp. since Wong Tao is in it!).

Do you remember THE HERO AND THE TERROR?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yes I do remember Hero and the Terror although it's not one of my favorites of his. I always liked Forced Vengeance although alot of people didn't. Missing in Action 2 is another favorite. Of his early films The Octagon is my favorite. :)

Guest jirpy100

I'd be first in line to buy the MIA trilogy when it's finally released in widescreen format. Part 3 had some killer neckbreaks & whatnot tough stuff. American Ninja 1 was also pretty cool.

Guest limubai2000

I need to go back and watch Code again.

I have Forced Vengeance and that is one my favorite Norris films after Lone Wolf which I just love to death for some reason.

I also really loved Octagon, the narrated thoughts really bring a new dimension to that film, it had some outright cheese in places but overall that one is great.

We shouldn't get to sentimental about old 80s martial arts films (I too love American Ninja 1 and Revenge of the Ninja) coz old Chuck might show up and kick our asses for polluting his thread! :P

Guest Chinatown Kid

I think the Octagon featured some of Chuck's best fight scenes and the story was cool with the added attraction of Lee Van Clief who I always enjoyed watching. Forced Vengeance featured some nice hard hitting action as well and is probably one of his most violent. Chuck's battle with the giant Japanese wrestler guy at the end was memorable.

Guest Dion Brother

I'm not a Chuck fan at all, but CODE OF SILENCE is a solid cop film. Great use of Chicago locations as well (I rewatched it after my recent vaction there and it does capture the feel of the city). Had he continued in this vein (CODE got surprising critic raves and respectable box office), his celluloid legacy would be stronger. But he signed with Cannon Films and his film career died.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I agree, when he signed with Cannon he took a step backwards although I did enjoy the Missing In Action series.

Archived