Anyone have any of the Japanese SE of Jackie's movies?

Bruce

I recently bought a nice 2 disc special edition of First Mission/Heart of The Dragon from Japan. It has excellent picture quality, an uncut version of the film (w/deleted fight scenes), an audio commentary track (in Japanese), good photo gallery, trailers, & about 40 minutes of cool behind the scenes footage with Jackie, Sammo, Yuen Biao, & company (including lots of outtakes).

In mid December several more remastered versions of Jackie classics are being released in Japan, I'm considering getting their version of The Protector if it's Jackie's edit (hopefully including the end credit outtakes only seen in the original Japanese version). If anyone here has any more details about these new versions please let me know here, thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sound very interesting!

May I ask, which site did you get this from?

The English translation there isn't perfect but I got enough info to decide to get First Mission. I hope there's more info about the other movies there soon.

Its an edition i want to get myself. See my Jackie site for details, there are a whole batch of Jackie films being re-released on dvd in Japan in December as you mentioned and Gorgeous on Blu ray, i will be putting details of these on the site tomorrow.

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk

Its an edition i want to get myself. See my Jackie site for details, there are a whole batch of Jackie films being re-released on dvd in Japan in December as you mentioned and Gorgeous on Blu ray, i will be putting details of these on the site tomorrow.

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk

I really appreciate all the info you've put in one place there. I'll be checking in for more info on these new Japanese editions, hope they have some good special features. If their latest version of The Protector isn't anything special I guess I'll hunt down a copy of the French version.

Just done a big update on my Jackie Chan site with all the new Japanese releases listed. They all seem to be remastered versions, unfortunately no English subtitles but may be good for Chinese speaking fans or serious collectors. Not sure of what extra features these dvds will have if any.

Jackiechandvd.co.uk

What company is releasing the DVDs? I saw the listings on CDJapan, and what looked to be a tiny Paramount logo.

I forgot what company did Heart of Dragon/First Mission, but I remember that indeed being an "internal" remaster, using the Japanese theatrical cut... as opposed to the Fortune Star master of the HK cut.

I noticed The Protector says it has an English track with a 96min runtime... the US and HK cuts are 91min (NTSC). I know the Japanese theatrical cut is supposed to be longer than both of them. Hmm, hopefully we can get a confirmation when they come out!

EDIT: I dunno... looking at some of these, I'm getting a "Fortune Star" vibe... the New Fist of Fury runtime is the same short version. Police Story 2 is the two hour cut as well. Maybe I should order someone of the films I *don't* have on DVD just to give it a test run. Well, I don't have The Protector or Dragons Forever on DVD, maybe I'll try them out... maybe...

EDIT #2: They also have the Police Story trilogy on blu-ray... but if these are indeed disguised Fotune Star releases, they'll most likely be the same crap SD-to-HD upconverts as the Kam and Ronson releases. Grr, damn you uncertainty! At least the above mentioned Gorgeous blu-ray is from Pony Canyon.

Archived