Anyone like watching India Hindi Films?

Guest Liu chung liang

man the original sholay was one of the BEST films i ever saw. i can't imagine what they did to destroy it. im not even a real fan of the musical numbers (that is not to say that i don't enjoy the movies themselves), but sholay's music is so catchy that i even found the soundtrack and it is in constant rotation.

there was a horror film that came out in 85 called pirana mandir (forgive the spelling). they had a great parody of sholay as a subplot. very funny.

kwok choi...i can honestly say that was a great story about you were able to see sholay. sadly, films today do not have that kind of impact.

88 antop hill was great as well

didn't the ramsey's put out a film called the fog some time ago? i swear we had it at my store but i cant find it. anyone know if it was any good?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hyperdrive film distribution and exhibition in the West is very complicating.I can get into a lot of details about this but suffice to say it needed a distribution company that understood how to push and market Indian films in the West.It is still an issue today let alone 1975.There is also a hell of a lot of industry politics involved that you'll never believe which is very vicious almost cutthroat.

Luckily Sholay triumphed without much support from the West.By the way;of the various cuts,there are two different endings.The one where Gabbar Singh survives gives Sholay more impact on the audience than the alternative end so this is the version to watch.Also the version that omits most of Radha's flashback scenes is the one to go for.It is very difficult to get the 3 hr cut today which was the best but if anyone has the all the various versions on divd I can offer to edit and cut it according to the first release print.I know this film frame by frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sholay

I'm bringing this back on topic...I saw the 2009 Bollywood film 3 Idiots last night and it was a nice mix of college comedy with some dramatic scenes, one involving a suicide, an attempted suicide, and a birth. Aamir Khan, Madhavan, and Sharman Joshi (I call him the Hindi Horshack because of his resemblance of the Welcome Back Kotter character) were great as the titular roles and Kareena Kapoor was great as Khan's potential love interest, the daughter of their spiteful and well-hated school director.

Only 2 big musical numbers, but get into it and the near 3-hour running time goes by quick.

And if anyone liked the Dhoom series, there will be a 3rd installment set to begin production at the end of 2011 for a December 2012 release. Aamir Khan will be playing the villain while Abhishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra will return as the Dhoom team of Jai and Ali. This was confirmed according to the Times of India

ShaOW!linDude

Oh........my..........word........!!!!

I feel like someone has danced on my eyes with cowboy boots after watching that. I wish I'd watched that 20 yrs. ago when I still smoked weed. That's hysterical!

Oh........my..........word........!!!!

I feel like someone has danced on my eyes with cowboy boots after watching that. I wish I'd watched that 20 yrs. ago when I still smoked weed. That's hysterical!

I'll bet Lau Kar-Leung wishes he had could come up with choreography like that! :bigsmile:

This was one of my favorite fight scenes in Bollywood (start it at 2:00)

HihKgC4dEao

Akshay Kumar in MAIN KHILADI TU ANARI, a Bollywood version of THE HARD WAY starring James Woods and Michael J. Fox.

ShaOW!linDude

Wow! I wish there would've been a dubbed version of that for MST3K to have gotten a hold of and spoofed.:tongue:

Wow! I wish there would've been a dubbed version of that for MST3K to have gotten a hold of and spoofed.:tongue:

I actually have this movie. I taped it on VHS from a PBS station in Philadelphia that plays Bollywood movies on Saturday mornings from 11am-2pm. It was actually a funny movie but Akshay really gets to kick some butt in the film.

I actually have this movie. I taped it on VHS from a PBS station in Philadelphia that plays Bollywood movies on Saturday mornings from 11am-2pm. It was actually a funny movie but Akshay really gets to kick some butt in the film.

Check These

Hrithik as Aman training in the movie Fiza

sMoIPIwFc7I

Hrithik demo in the movie Krrish

3MiH7TDK7i4

Now it's Akshay Kumar's turn in the movie Awara Paagal Deewana

3iCdcs8lbtA

And now Roger Yuan shows Akshay Kumar how is it done in the movie Chandni Chowk To China

JEqvqAPLV0w

ShaOW!linDude

The clip of Hrithik displaying his MA skills in Krrish is pretty impressive. But that clip from Fiza is just..........I don't know.........narcissistic, I guess you'd say.:tongue: (I mean come on! That's like a highlight reel of windblown head-turns. Okay, okay, so you can smolder, I get it.)

The 2 of Akshay Kumar are unimpressive to me as well. I've got Chandni Chowk To China and I was disappointed in the action in it. But it is pretty comical.

(Cannot get over their fascination with musical numbers either but the production and choreography for them seem to be better than most of their fight sequences.:tongue:)

The clip of Hrithik displaying his MA skills in Krrish is pretty impressive.

That's because prior to shooting, Hrithik studied with the film's action choreographer, Hong Kong legend Tony Ching Siu-Tung. Ching was said to have been impressed with Hrithik's quick study of HK style action.

The clip of Hrithik displaying his MA skills in Krrish is pretty impressive. But that clip from Fiza is just..........I don't know.........narcissistic, I guess you'd say.:tongue: (I mean come on! That's like a highlight reel of windblown head-turns. Okay, okay, so you can smolder, I get it.)

The 2 of Akshay Kumar are unimpressive to me as well. I've got Chandni Chowk To China and I was disappointed in the action in it. But it is pretty comical.

(Cannot get over their fascination with musical numbers either but the production and choreography for them seem to be better than most of their fight sequences.:tongue:)

Re: Fiza,Hrithik's character was indeed smouldering figuratively and yes again he was being narcissistic; I think that's what the disturbed character tried to portray; spot on !

Re : Akshay well what can one say about wire-fu. Not impressed either; Indian or not.

The musical numbers are another story altogether but that's the best part because it's a win win situation as you get 2 for the price of one ( best bang for your buck ) and finally yes the choreography is usually better than the fight sequences

Here's another one: the movie Lahore or rather Indian The Best Of The Best

EN1VHDpkMSE

ShaOW!linDude

Here's another one: the movie Lahore or rather Indian The Best Of The Best

Hmmmm. Well, that's kind of cool. That was rather blatantly a version of BOTB, wasn't it? Some pretty unorthodox techniques used there in the 1st round of the end fight, too: head butts and shoulder rams. They were just brawling there for a bit. Still, it wasn't too bad. I might hunt that down at some point. My only qualm with that clip..........where was the musical number?:tongue: I jest, I jest!

Hmmmm. Well, that's kind of cool. That was rather blatantly a version of BOTB, wasn't it? Some pretty unorthodox techniques used there in the 1st round of the end fight, too: head butts and shoulder rams. They were just brawling there for a bit. Still, it wasn't too bad. I might hunt that down at some point. My only qualm with that clip..........where was the musical number?:tongue: I jest, I jest!

Well, there are few Bollywood films that don't have the musical numbers. Lahore and Bang De Rasanti were two that didn't have the usual Bollywood musical numbers.

I just watched Boss on Netflix two weeks ago, starring Akshay Kumar. It was pretty funny and serious at the same time. Kumar plays "Boss", a man who is taken in by a respected benevolent gangster after his father disowns him as a teen after an accident at school. "Boss" is highly respected but does things, well...not too seriously. However, when his brother is framed by a very dirty cop, "Boss" goes into action to clear his brother's name and maybe, just end the estrangement between himself and his father.

Very fun exaggerated action sequences add to the mix as well, like Kumar's opening fight scene here (because of his character's nature, it is meant to be exaggerated)

s9Mi4025SQ8

Archived