Anyone like watching India Hindi Films?

Guest Liu chung liang

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both of these films. I received them in trade from an Indian friend of mine who had no kung fu to offer. What are they about for us non Bollywood people?

Guest Liu chung liang

one of his movies i have which is called Return of Bruce. a part in the beginning of the movie.... we see indian people like doing a parade, and we even hear like a hindi song too haha. and bruce le was like walking/jogging by.

that's so cool that he can speak hindi.... which 2 hindi films he appeared in? can you tell me?

Guest Liu chung liang

where you from kngfu? if you don't want them... i like to buy them from you haha. i'm serious. :D

ok like if you never seen any of the indian movies, well they usually do like romance and love. i don't know what's the deal with them or their culture. but everything else besides a horror indian movie. they always "sing" and "dance" all the time. no matter if it's a action flick, you still see singing and dancing. and i guarantee you, it's always about love, about couples, and boyfriend and girlfriend. i'm sure in their country they have more drama movies than action or anything else. and their action really sucks. they don't know how to fight on scene i guess. alot of their fight scenes look so amateur. you can tell they don't know any type of kung fu or martial art skills. some of the action they do now.... they try the whole matrix thing with the camera, and it doesn't look too bad. but it's still bad to me. i guess they are just good at telling a story, making a musical, dealing with family issues, singing, and dancing of course.

i'm actually a bollywood fan, but i haven't been watching any indian movies though :lol

what you got is the 2 best hindi movies dude. it might not be new anymore but it's a classic. like if you asked me that you want to see a indian movie. i would recommend these 2 films.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is about a Love Triangle, and first love. the other one is about Family, marrying someone poor, and family issues. these two films are great, and it's by the same director Karan Johar.

Kajol_13_jpg_jpg.jpg

Guest jirpy100

SOMEONE (hint at bottom) once posted this somewhere:

My Indian film list(LONG)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask and ye shall receive!These are not just action films, I’ve tried to put something on here for everyone. I hope this helps. I just give you an idea on these, as I can’t write a full review for them all. First off a few things to know:

1. Nearly every film has at least three musical numbers, no matter what genre it is. Most of the older films (Black and White) were made before this was in vogue, but anything since the 60s has them. This can make for some VERY strange movies.

2. The covers of the DVDs mean nothing! Even action films are sold as romances in India, so rarely judge a book by the cover.

3. There’s not always one release of a film. In fact, most DVD releases are have more than one version and no place carries the more than one edition, at least rarely. If you can find them, Dei releases are the best for Indian films. Great example, the easily found version of 100 Days has no subtitles, but the version on India Weekly is by a different company and has English subs! So you may have to hunt.

4. The cheapest place to get them is from www.Indiaweekly.com. They are in some cases up to $10 cheaper than any other place on the net. Eros has the most films on DVD and they have a nice site at www.erosentertainment.com/indexeros.cfm. The DVDs are of varying quality, though nearly all are letterboxed.

5. Few films are shorter than 2 hours and most are in the nearly 3 hours range. This is because of the dance numbers and because Indians like character driven stories. This is not as bad as it may seem.

6. Even cheap films look amazing. India has the greatest cinematographers in the world and you’ll see what I mean when you see some stuff.

7. Anything made in the 80s will be a little dated.

8. EVERY film has at least one woman who you will fall madly in love with!

Ones to buy if you’re just getting started

Action:

Farz

Mission Kashmir-The best action film for first time Indian viewing.

Abhay

DON-For those that like Italian crime films like me.

Horror: The Ramsey stuff from the 70's is worth tracking down, but impossible to find on DVD easily. One problem is most Indian horror films are just not well made.

AKS- A spiritual possession film that is VERY well directed.

THE EYES-a bit more exploitive.

100 Days-This is okay, but it does drag a bit. It's of interest to Fulci fans.

BTW, Agneepath, the Indian remake of Scarface is a LOT of fun too!

Now the films

Action/crime films

Parinda- A great heroic bloodshed type film by the director of Mission Kashmir. Excellet Heroic Bloodshed style gangster film.

Vaastav(the Reality)-Tough as nails story of a crime kingpin making his way from rags to riches and back down again. Award winning stuff from Sanjay Dutt as the boss. The finale is pretty shocking stuff!

Indian- A film starring Sunny Deol, the greatest action star in India, This is part of the good cops vs. terrorist genre that’s popular in India. This has a kick ass fight scene where Sunny takes on over 20 guys at once!! Anything with Sunny has a Rambo sort of feel to it and this is no different.

Farz- CRAZY violent cop film starring Sunny Deol and the most INSANE explosions you’ll ever see! If you must see one Deol film, make it this!

For more Sunny Deol:

Ziddi

Ghatak

Arjun Pandit-He plays a gun toting priest who kills for money!

Jeet- romance/action film with lots of violence that is kinda hard to find too.

Darr (Fear)- a psychological stalker thriller starring Sunny. Great acting, women, and fights.

Ghayal- A violent revenge drama in the vein of Ghatak.

Asoka-The latest EPIC film. If you like period epics ala Ben Hur, this is it. With dance numbers of course!

Mission Kashmir- Columbia was so impressed with this that it’s out on DVD in the U.S. Maybe the best Indian film I’ve ever seen, with a great story dealing with a terrorist out to destroy India, and equally great proformances. If you want to check out one Indian film, this is it!

Khiladiyon ka Khiladi- Lots of 80’s action(a little dated) and WWF’s The Undertaker(and it has subs!!!)

Sholay-A great movie that is one of the all time classic films in ANY country. Imagine Once Upon a Time in the West Indian style and this is that. The ending is an all time fave. The Eros DVD is the director’s cut version.

International Khiladi- A fun Gangster film with HK style action(also has subs!!!).

Abhay- Imagine a mix of Silence of the Lambs meets a wild action flick B-movie where the killer imagines all the killings (some fights) in insane Roger Rabbit style animation! And has without a doubt one of the most amazing chase scenes in film history!!

Don-Absolutely awesome film that is like an Italian crime film, meets a sixty’s spy film, meets India!! Great Fun!!!

Company- Directed by Ram Gopal Verma, who made Satya, Kaun and some earlier horror flicks. This is the ultimate Bolly gangster film by way of Wong Kar Wai. Anyone who likes Ringo Lam or Scorsese, will LOVE this guy's stuff!!. Must see.

16th December-This is an Indian version of a James Bond film complete with gadgets, cars, etc. This has a slick look like an American thriller and is lots o' fun.

Shaun-CRAZY re-teaming of the actors from the Indian classic Deewar for a James Bondian disco heist picture! Just imagine Don in Disco era and you get the idea. All I'll say, is a legless man on a cart doing a song and dance number on the back of a cart while rolling around town holding onto cars! And a classic Bollywood ala Blofield villian that lives in a mountain fortress with killer crocs. Fun stuff, but not for everyone!

Khauff- India, John Woo style!

Satya- Ringo Lam style crime thriller. Considered the best pure crime film ever made in India. AMAZING movie!

Devi- Snake goddess vs. Serpent monster extravaganza that also has a love story. Goofy, but lots of fun!! Reminds me a bit of a Godzilla picture.

Border-Epic war movie with an all star cast, including Sunny Deol.

C.I.D.(Vinod Khanna) 1980-a knockdown, drag out Indian version of Italian Crime films. GREAT flick!!

Barood- If you’re looking for martial arts style action, anything with Akshay Kumar is good. Rumor has it, he will be in the New Armor of God film! This film is Akshay’s attempt to out do Jackie Chan. There's some great stunts in this!! This has car stunts, musical numbers (including a fat guy doing MC HAMMER!!) and kung fu. The ending is a remake of the ending of Drunken Master 2 mixed with Police Story 2!!! The dance scenes are INCREDIBLY FUNNY.

Horror/Thriller films

GUMNAAM- a mid-sixties mystery thriller that resembles an old Mario Bava film with wild musical numbers. The opening musical number was featured in Ghost World.

100 Days- Bollywood remake of Fulchi’s The Psychic. Nuff said! The dvd does have subs BTW!

AKS- AWESOME, supernatural possession thriller that looks amazing and it unusual for an Indian film.

THE EYES- A loony haunted house film, with just a dose of an Asian horror feel to it.

Dil Se-a romance/thriller about a man who becomes a little TOO infatuated with the girl of his dreams. One of the most popular Indian films in the U.S.

Bhoot Bangla-1960-an old style gothic horror film, castle and all.

Bees Saal Baad-1950- Black and White horror film with no songs. This is a classic horror film about what you can't see, like in the old Val Lewton films.

Dhund-1970s- A man wrecks his car near an old house where he finds a dead man and his supposed killer or does he? A straight out suspense film. This and Ittefaq are out in nice Special Editions and are short, about 105 mins each.

Ittefaq(Rajesh Khanna)-1970s-A murderer escapes from a mental asylum only to become involved in a murder with someone that maybe crazier than he is.

Kaun-1999-A kid is stuck at home waiting for her mom and lets in a man thinking he's a friend of her mom's and soon discovers he may be a serial killer. When a police officer shows up to arrest the man everythings alright, right. Wrong!! The DVD has no subs!

Remakes

Aatish- A remake of A Better Tomorrow! With Dancing! If you liked the original, you'll like this.

Agneepath-The Indian remake of Scarface!

BICCHOO-A Remake of Leon and Miltilda is a hot chick!!!

Awaara Paagal Deewana- This Indian film with HK fights directed by Phillip Ko just came out. This a remake of the Bruce Willis film "The Whole Nine Yards", but with HK-style action and a direct rip of the office battle from the Matix.

Jung-Great action thriller starring Sanjay Dutt that is a remake of Desperate Measures starring Andy Garcia and Micheal Keaton(as an insane criminal). Make sure to get the Sanjay Dutt / Jackie Shroff version, there's an older movie with the same title.

WHEW! That's it!

Gung Fu Din Ying Sun

Guest Kwok Choi

Well Indian films are my real forte I am more aufait with this type of cinema than kung fu films so the question is where do you wanna start and were would you like to end? Any questions you have about this genre,just shoot....................

Guest Kwok Choi

Oh Zhunaid, Bruce Le's "Hindi" was dubbed in Kaatilon Ke Kaatil.I don't recall the other film he appeared in but it was Ti Lee an obscure Bruce Lee clone who appeared in Morcha India's tribute to Bruce Lee.

Guest Liu chung liang

thats awesome haha... yeah? i know who rishi kapoor is.

what's the movie call? ahhhh i would like to see what the movie about. :lol does bruce le sing a hindi song? :rollin

Guest Knockabout

The only indian movie I've seen is Asif Kapadia's "The Warrior".

I liked the movie alot, although I was hoping for more action. It was a good story and very beautifully shot, I thought it was very similar to the old japanese chanbara films.

Unfortunately it only had a running time of approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes (but with 30 min of deleted scenes as a bonus feature). AND to my surprise it didn't have any musical interludes:D

I would like to see what Indian movies have to offer.. I'm a fan of old school kung fu, can anyone recommend some Indian movies for me in this sort of genre? Possibly a trade!

Guest Kwok Choi

Indian movies in general have a hell of a lot to offer in roughly 10 main regional languages covering all the genres of film-making;Bollywood or non-Bollywood.

Although India has it's own original martial arts called Kalarippayat I actually haven't seen any of their films exclusively portraying the fight scenes with this art form.

However there were a couple of mid 70s to mid 80s Hindi and south Indian films that had karate,or particular characters using Chinese Martial Arts.Also most of the heroes had to learn how to fight well incorporating general martial art moves so it is a bit difficult to pinpoint a particular film to whet your appetite if you are used to Hong Kong martial art movies.Anyway I'll list a few films and actors whose fights might help you watch more of the action Indian films.

Rani Aur Jaani (Rani And Jaani) starring Aruna Irani and south bombshell Jyoti Laksmi as the two sisters of the title with Anil Dhawan as the detective hero.This was made when " everybody was kung fu fighting in the early 70s " and India of course had to do it's bit.The 2 sisters trained as kids in some open hand combat that resembles karate though not quite then they got separated.As adults this bacame their main way of fighting and when they eventually clashed their similar fighting technique made them realise they were related.

Taxi Chor (Taxi Thief) starring Mithun Chakraborty.Mithun was actually touted as India's Bruce Lee in the early 80's.He did not impersonate The Little Dragon per se but he used Bruces' "stances" and bit of Jeet kwon do in Taxi Chor;his footwork is abysmal but upper body ok.

Watch Mithun's early 80's stuff like Main Aur Mera Haathi (Me And My Elephant) and Surakhsha (Protector) for this kind of stuff.

Karate starring Mithun Chakraborty,Mazhar Khan and Deb Mukerjee;written,produced and directed by Deb Mukerjee.Well the name says it all but I really don't like this film.

Andha Kanoon (Blind Law) starring Rajnikant.I love this guy.Not really a martial artist but this guy makes fighting on scree,Indian style, look good.Search for all his action films but start with Andha Kanoon.If this doesn't convert you nothing will albeit made in the early 80s.

Saughand (don't know the meaning of this one:sorry) one of the first films starring Akshay Kumar who actually was a karate student in Thailand and graduated with a black belt.He has since studied and practiced other forms of martial arts.Saughand is the first Indian film to show training HongKong style ala Drunken Master etc.Akshay is the Chen Kuan Tai of Bollywood.Recommended viewing

Main Khiladi Tu Anari (I'm smart you are dumb - a remake of The Hard Way)

Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (The smartest of the smart)

Jigar (don't know the meaning of this one either)

starring all rounder Ajay Devgan son of the renowned fight instructor Veeru Devgan.Jigar is a combination of Bloodsport and Kickboxer but the Van Damme movies are better.

Fiza (Fizz) starring Hrithik Roshan who could easily pass as the son of Rambo.Good overall performer and see his training sequence in Fiza - wicked stuff.

Veeru Ustad (Boss Veeru) late 70s movie starring Kiran Kumar and who is the other guy Jogindar? This is India's tribute to Enter The Dragon.You should see the original poster!!!.

Morcha (forgotten the meaning of this) starring Aruna Irani,Ti Lee and that boy; (the main lead whose name I can't remember) a tribute to kung fu movies and Bruce Lee.

My favourite Indian martial artist of the 70s to late 80s was Manek Irani.He was a stuntman whose kung fu became noticeable,so he was given bit parts which he excelled at then he advanced to supervillain and fight choreographer.Search for all his earlier stuff especially Vishwanath starring Shatrughan Sinha.Unfortunately he just dissappeared it was rumoured that he died on a complicated stunt but I never saw any press or media coverage of this incident.I really miss this guy:(

(Ps: Zhunaid the Tina Munim,Rishi Kapoor,Dhamendra,Zeenat Aman,Bruce Le starrer is Kaatilon Ke Kaatil (The Killer Of Killers) Knockabout,The Warrior is non-Bollywood (I have met and chatted with Asif) and there are many more where that came from so if you are interested in this type of cinema I can recommend some titles)

Guest Kwok Choi

I forgot Awaara Pagal Deewana (Crazy Crazy Crazy - in a lovable way) the title refers to the three heroes in three different ways of saying " Crazy " - strange for a remake of The Whole Nine Yards - starring Akshay Kumar,Sunil Shetty and Aftab Shivdasani.This is the only northern Bollywood film to date depicting new wave wire-fu Hong kong and "Matrix" style.Unfortunately only the first major fight made good use of this craze.Anyway it is worth checking out to see more of Akshay Kumar.

Tamil South Indian cinema is also huge on the action front so don't hesitate to experiment with some of these films.If you come across Thirumalai,give it a go.

Guest wizard12220

I think I saw the Bruce Le movie when I was a kid, but didn't remember the story at all.

My favorite Hindi movie is Sholay.

I also remember Ram Balram, Mein Aur Mera Hath, Bobby, Burning Train.

I saw a lot of Hindi moviesl when I was a kid. But in the past 10 years I've only seen 2 hindi movies, Kuch Kuch Hotta Hai (the song was nice) and Lagaan (nominated for Oscar's best foreign language movie)

Guest Knockabout

Thank you very much Kwok Choi, I really appreciate your thorough reply.. This has given me quite an appetite for hindi films now 8)

Do the movies you mention have english subs BTW?

If it's not too much trouble, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could recommend me some of the non-bollywood (but still indian) films similar to "The Warrior" also..

Would you by any chance be interested in doing a trade (before spending a lot of money on new DVDs, it's always nice to get an idea of what you're getting first). If you're not into trading perhaps can you recommend me a good place for buying these films?

(My email: wc.michael@gmail.com)

Many thanks:D

Guest Kwok Choi

Hi Michael,

Non- Bollywood films similar to The Warrior are:

The Deceivers; a Merchant Ivory production starring Pierce Brosnan,Sayeed Jaffery,Shashi Kapoor etc.I like this one.You can get it on dvd.Shot in English and Hindi so the subtitle issue should not arise.

Bandit Queen;based on the true story of the notorious Pholan Devi who become a huge bone in the throat of the Indian Authorities.You should not have problems with the subs on this as well.Easily available on dvd.

The Terrorist:The name says it all starring Ayesha Dharker.Subs should not be a problem either.

Art House Bollywood:

Junoon (Obsession);Starring Shashi Kapoor,Naseerudeen Shah,Jeniffer Kendal and Nafisa Ali.

Not to be confused with another movie of the same title starring Rahul Roy.This should be available on dvd at Eros Entertainment online but more about Eros later.

Godmother;starring Shabana Azmi,Nirmal Pandey,Milind Gunaji.I think there are both English and Hindi versions of this

Pure Bollywood:

Asoka (Ashoka The Great); starring Shahrukh Khan,Danny Denzongpa,Kareena Kapoor.This is very popular and easy to obtain.Subs on disc should not be a problem.

For more Kung Fu check:

Yudh (War) starring Anil Kapoor,Jackie Shroff,Hema Malini,Danny Denzongpa.Enjoy Danny's " Tiger Claws " in the endfight.

Commando:-the remake of American Ninja with songs minus Ninjas:lol starring Mithun Chakraborty,Hemant Birje

Well I am neither a collector nor trader.I am a cineaste.I've seen 95% of all movies in theatres and will continue to do so till digital projection takes over then I'll just get a video projector and convert the garage or a room into a small cinema.

Most of these movies are available online in various formats or if you live in a village,town or city that has an Indian community chances are that they'll be able to help.In cities many high street music stores have a Bollywood and World Cinema section where you can pick up some of these titles as well although it is very hard to get some 70s and 80s titles.The most popular films have been remastered and re-released on dvd eg Yudh so subs,picture and sound quality should be acceptable.

Eros Entertainment has most of the films online serving probably 8 different countries but boy o boy Eros UK's customer service is so bad its good.I can go on all night about this so just avoid the UK branch.For general brousing click on the link below:

www.erosentertainment.com...ex800.asp.

does Bruce Le sing a Hindi song

Not really Liu Chung Liang,he just played a baddie without the embarassment of a song and dance routine but click on the link below and scroll down to album #7 which is the movie Morcha to get the feel of a Bollywood Kung Fu film song.You can either click on the album cover or the name of the song in the review to listen;enjoy:lol

www.soulstrut.com/feature...4/odub.php

Guest Yakuza954

I'm seen some Indian films but not many: Devdas, Lagaan, Salaam Bombay, Kama Sutra, Company and Taal. I thought they were all pretty good and I was going to watch Sholay one day but found out my print wasn't subbed. That sorta turned me off and haven't seen any since. I will make it my duty to eventually see Satyajit Ray's films one day.

Guest Kwok Choi

You see what I mean about Eros!!!!!!!>:

The personnel operating the UK site needs the boot.Anyway click the link below as someone with some sense has done a brief review of the Yudh dvd and also posted some screen caps.You will think Eros UK should be certain about that information because it is an Eros release.

www.zulm.net/modules.php?...e=&order=0

Guest Liu chung liang

wow kwok, you're really into these films huh? lol.

i'm looking for a old title, it's called Jawani. ever seen it?

that girl neelam is it it.

the bruce lee india song thing... omg i can't believe they did that. it's so lame. i don't wanna listen to it again. even bruce lee would be embarrass.

Guest Kwok Choi

# Allah gullah murta hai jawaani;jawaani #

# Khel ka nasha hai jawaani;jawaani #

# Oh gin piye #

# Oh gin piye #

( "e" = pronounced "ay")

This is the first verse of the first song in the 1985/86 movie Jawaani (Youth,young people,adolescence) Starring Karan Shah,Neelam (debut),Navin Nischol,Anupam Kher,Sharmila Tagore (renowned actor Saif Ali Khan's mum) and above all Sadashiv Amrapukar as Uncle Joe.

This actually flopped in India but it did superfantastic business in West Africa.Karan and Neelam became household names and Sadashiv was christened Uncle Joe.

The movie really appealed to the African youth so

I wasn't surprised at it's success.At the time it had everything appealing to young people,good story,excellent music by R D Burman and a very slick 80s wardrobe.

Don't laugh but I actually copied Karan's attire in the last bit of the movie in the scene where Neelam accidentally discovered that Karan is a diamond smuggler;that cool black and faded green top ardoned with metal studs plus the black trousers.Everywhere I went people shouted JAWAANI JAWAANI;I became a hero anytime I had this on.Of course I enjoyed the glory what do you mean?

Anyway I know this film like the back of my hand.It was produced by Rose Movies who made Yeh Vaada Raha,Kasme Vaade,Pukar (with Amitabh not the Anil Kapoor one) and I think Jawaani Diwaani with Jayaji (Amitabhs's wife) and Randhir Kapoor (famous Karisma and Kareena Kapoor's dad)

The print was 35mm with 7 (2000ft) reels.4:3 original ratio with mono sound.It was not too long either running approx 2hrs 20 mins but I honestly think this movie will be dated now.

Yes I was addicted to a lot of this stuff because the movies they were making in those days had high social and moral values so they kinda put things in perspective in my youth when the going was really tough.

Archived