The Fountain

Guest limubai2000

Guest limubai2000

I'm surprised no one started a thread so I am!

I saw this yesterday and it left me speechless for a good few hours as I thought about the film. I think it's a masterpiece but yet can't fully describe or fathom it's meaning. I think it's one of those few film that everyone will take away their own meaning but at the same time agree on a few concepts from film the like dealing with death etc.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

Is this the one with Hugh Jackman about finding a fountain that gives eternal life? I've heard a little bit about it but no reviews yet. I might check it out since you say it's so good.

Guest limubai2000

It is about that and it isn't. You have to see it for yourself, it is not a straight story but rather 3 stories happening in the film with 3 different characters played by both Hugh and Rachael.

Guest jirpy100

I watched this one on Sunday. The cinema was quite empty, and the sceen cut off the bottom line of subtitles, arg!! But I'm glad I went.

It was pretty much what I hoped it would be. Very few directors have the resources to make films like these with the talent involved. Hugh Jackman was amazing in the central role as the doctor, I was quite moved by that dramatic scene when his....you know (I cried, in fact). It is a very cerebral film, and I came out of it with the message that death is something natural, something that we must all accept. Althought the film's message is counter-intuitive, and about struggle of man to accept it...

"Death is a disease, just like any other. And there is a cure, and I will find it!"

I feel each of the three stories were strong, especially the first 2. The Mayan segment could be a film in it self, as could the contemporary plot. The final part only works because of the other two, and is not quite as good in my opinion, although the film needs it to complete its story...

The film has received many bad reviews, but I can't wait for the DVD!!

Archived