Best Way to get Cine Asia Dvds

thelastweaponmaster

thelastweaponmaster

Hi everyone.

Since it appears that Cine Asia has replaced Hong Kong Legends and Dragon Dynasty as the "go-to" label in terms of releasing chinese martial arts movies with quality extras, I am just wondering if anyone knows of the best way of ordering their discs since they are based in the UK. I live in Canada though I think the answer would apply to those living in the States also who wants to get ahold of these discs.

The dvds released by chinese companies such as Megastar for the recent movies such as all of the Ip Man films, "The Warlords" and "Bodyguards and Assassins" are all quality releases in terms of extras. However some films are more bare bones and the Cine Asia releases offer a step up in terms of behind the scenes extras such as cast interviews and the always great Bey Logan commentary. I am looking to order the recent Cine Asia releases such as "Confucius" and "Little Big Soldier".

As for Bey Logan, apparently his return to Dragon Dynasty is a short one as he is only providing an audio commentary to the December release of "Disciples of the 36th Chamber". It should be interesting to see what DD plans to release in 2011.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thelastweaponmaster

The only other concern that I have is are the Cine Asia's releases of "Confucius" and "Little Big Soldier" the complete versions of the movies or has anything been cut?

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

The only things that tends to get cut occasionally are horse falls, check the BBFC database to see how much. It depends if that bothers you i guess. You can get Cine Asia titles from Amazon or perhaps Ebay with not much problem. All of there Blu rays are region free as well.

AMAZON CINE ASIA

EBAY CINE ASIA

It should be interesting to see what DD plans to release in 2011.

Well, they're currently taking scissors to REIGN OF ASSASSINS, so I have to assume they're currently eyeing sometime in 2011 for that bullshit. Unfortunately, once the Weinstein Co. attempt to buy back Miramax fell apart, it seems to have freed up a bunch of cash with which they've started buying and ruining films again.

Well, they're currently taking scissors to REIGN OF ASSASSINS, so I have to assume they're currently eyeing sometime in 2011 for that bullshit. Unfortunately, once the Weinstein Co. attempt to buy back Miramax fell apart, it seems to have freed up a bunch of cash with which they've started buying and ruining films again.

Jumping the gun i think. Wait and see. What recent DD releases have been badly cut?

While Cine Asia has provided some very good releases and they are releasing lots of new titles. I don't think we're seeing a great deal of quality films, in particular martial-arts Cinema coming through. I personally wish they would re release more of the old Hong Kong classics from the Eighties and Nineties that were previously available on Hong Kong Legends and more of the dragon dynasty releases.

In answer to the original posters question I'm sure there are lots of online companies that deliver out side of the UK. Besides Amazon UK you could try play.com or HMV... There are plenty of others but I couldn't say which since the haven't used them in a while.

Jumping the gun i think. Wait and see. What recent DD releases have been badly cut?

I wish I was jumping the gun, but the first paragraph of the Variety review of the film says as much.

Link (to a Google Cache of the review, which is now behind their paywall)

A delightful martial-arts romp that makes up in wit and exuberance what it occasionally lacks in clarity and finesse, "Reign of Assassins" unspools in a version of ancient China where killers yearn for lives of quiet domesticity, secret identities abound and death rarely has the last word. While the film takes some time setting up its convoluted specifics, the essentials seem to have gone satisfyingly right in the collaboration between Taiwan's Su Chao-pin and a resurgent, post-"Red Cliff" John Woo. "Reign" should please local crowds starting Sept. 28, but will undergo some tinkering before opening Stateside as a Weinstein release.

At best "tinkering" could mean they're doing their patented rewrite-via-bogus-subtitles BS, but I don't think that would even warrant a mention.

Guest Yi-Long

Seriously!?!?

It's the Weinsteins. Are you REALLY that naieve!?

Everything asian that they even remotely touch, they fuck up or try to fuck up. If they'd buy a chinese restaurant they'd start selling noodle-burgers, 'or else the american people wouldn't eat that shit'.

Its not being naieve, having now read that Variety piece i see what Rythm X is saying. I was just stating that most DD releases of newer films have been uncut of late.

Archived