Subs vs Dubs: Kung Fu Comedies?

Omni Dragon

Subs vs Dubs: Kung Fu Comedies?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Subs vs Dubs: Kung Fu Comedies?

• Subs
    • Dubs

Which do you they more Kung Fu Comedies in Subtitles or English Dubbing?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like subs for everything; when a film is in Mandarin, even in my current rustiness, I can often understand big chunks without reading them anyway. But with comedies, especially, it seems to me like subtitles are often closer to the real dialogue than dubbing, which has pacing issues to deal with in addition to the core work of translation.

Of course, the right subtitles can make any movie a comedy...

Noelle Shadow Kick

Subtitles. Then, ya know, you actually have the correct joke. Of course there's really never a situation where I'd prefer a dub.

Morgoth Bauglir

I'll take dubs most of the time, at least for older movies. Young Master and Last Hero in China (a rare good newer movie dub) are 2 of my favorite comedies, and the dubs are a big reason why.

Even when they’re piss-poor I’d take subs over English dubs. Generally, I can’t bring myself to spend money on a movie if the original audio is not included. Aiight, if I’m dying to see something that’s only available with an English dub then, and only then, I will look for a download link (or a trade buddy) to get hold of that shit. There’s just NOTHING worse than characters in period films set in Ming or Qing dynasty times blabbering away in quaint Cockney or Aussie or Mid-Atlantic WASP twangs.

No, I lied. In a lotta cases the German dubs manage to sound even more idiotic then the English ones!

As for YOUNG MASTER – just happen to watch the HKL disc last weekend and switched to the dub for a mere 10 minutes… Nah, blood, couldn’t handle it. Think in comedies these dubbing jobs come across even worse!

Morgoth Bauglir

As for YOUNG MASTER – just happen to watch the HKL disc last weekend and switched to the dub for a mere 10 minutes… Nah, blood, couldn’t handle it. Think in comedies these dubbing jobs come across even worse!

Yeah the new dubs suck. The original dub for Young Master is much better. .

Yeah the new dubs suck. The original dub for Young Master is much better. .

I back that & I started off with HKL dubs when I first got in these films but like original English dubs a lot more.

sifu iron perm

dubs for the old films..they go together well with added character etc.

The new over dubs are beyound horrible..esp the jackie chan re-dubs..

Subs. I love Cantonese humor and dialogue delivery and that gets lost without the original language track for the most part.

Well put. These films were meant to be seen in their original language.

Subs. I love Cantonese humor and dialogue delivery and that gets lost without the original language track for the most part.

+1. If Sammo used his delivery powers for food, he could sell pizza to Italy.

Last Hero in China (a rare good newer movie dub)

Seconded. A very rare case of the dubbing team getting completely into the goofy spirit of the film, with results best described as magical. I'd seen it in Cantonese w/subtitles, but I didn't think particularly highly of this movie until I saw the dubbed version. Now I think it's fuckin' wonderful and most irreverent indeed.

Archived