Prachya Pinkaew's "The Kick"

Drunken Monk

2dbtfzd.jpg

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/11/afm-2010-chocolate-star-jija-yanin-joins-cast-of-prachya-pinkaews-taekwondo-picture-the-kick.php

Gearing up for an imminent start to production with principal photography just weeks away is Ong Bak director Prachya Pinkaew's The Kick.

Revolving around a Korean family of taekwondo masters living in Bangkok The Kick will see Pinkaew bring some new moves to his repertoire. The switch in fight disciplines has led to a switch in fight choreographers with muay thai stylist Panna Rittikrai replaced by taekwondo expert Master An of the Korean Tigers but despite the new stunt leader and new fight style Pinkaew's latest won't be entirely without familiar faces.

Popular Thai comedian Mum Jokmok - Dirty Balls in Ong Bak - is coming along for the ride on this one as is Chocolate leading lady Jija Yanin. Making Yanin's involvement particularly interesting is that taekwondo is actually her first discipline, with muay thai being something she picked up specifically for Chocolate. She'll have a supporting role in this one but expect to see some good things with the added comfort that should come from working with a more familiar style.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I was unaware Yanin had any training prior to "Chocolate". That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to this.

I'm interested in this but to be honest I'm concerned that jeeja is making another picture without Panna as the main action/martial-arts choreographer. I know drunken monk has stated that Panna took that role in Raging Phoenix but I'm sure the DVD told another story. I wish I hadn't sold the DVD just to be sure his role was nothing more than executive producer/producer.

I sincerely hope Jeeja's third leading role turns out to be at worst as good as Chocolate .

Nice, this sounds interesting. I hope these guys can stay active and keep cranking them out.

I was unaware Yanin had any training prior to "Chocolate". That's interesting. I'll be looking forward to this.

I guess it makes sense...Thais with money generally don't study Muay Thai, but instead take Taekwondo.

ShaOW!linDude
I guess it makes sense...Thais with money generally don't study Muay Thai, but instead take Taekwondo.

Seriously? I did not know that. What is that, like, the local style isn't good enough? Do they view it as slumming in some sense to study Muay Thai when they can 'afford' to study something else?

The first time I saw a picture of Jija, I thought she was Korean. The rich Thai - Taekwando connection is interesting too.

DeathFuMaster
Seriously? I did not know that. What is that, like, the local style isn't good enough? Do they view it as slumming in some sense to study Muay Thai when they can 'afford' to study something else?

To me it would probably come down to just being different. I mean its like us watching foreign movies instead of just American. People like to do things that are not so familar to them. Im sure she grew up with Muay Thai everywhere around her and just wanted to do something that wasn't as common.

Yeah kind of. Muay Thai is for poor kids and people sign up (or their parents force them) because they want to make a living with it.

Taking TKD is a leisure activity and the training isn't as brutal or time-consuming.

ShaOW!linDude

I remember the ep of "Human Weapon" when they went to train Muay Thai in Thailand. They learned that those guys start fighting in the ring at like 15 or so and can really only expect a 10-12 year time frame for a professional career and that's if they're good enough to fight for that long.

I know Muay Thai is renown for having a brutal training regimen especially if your instructor takes an "old school" approach. But I've always thought that training is any style had the propensity to be tough and time-consuming. Guess it depends on who and where you're learning it from. I don't know.

Still, to get back on the point of the thread, if she has some chops in TKD, it'll be interesting to see her showcase some of what she knows.

I'm interested in this but to be honest I'm concerned that jeeja is making another picture without Panna as the main action/martial-arts choreographer. I know drunken monk has stated that Panna took that role in Raging Phoenix but I'm sure the DVD told another story. I wish I hadn't sold the DVD just to be sure his role was nothing more than executive producer/producer.

I sincerely hope Jeeja's third leading role turns out to be at worst as good as Chocolate .

I really hope this will be good too. I've been holding off so far on Raging Pheonix, mostly because it really doesn't look or sound too good (the whole fighting mixed with breakdancing bit sounds pretty awful). I loved Chocolate however, so hopefully she will eventually make another movie as good or close to it. I'd love to see her in a period based film.

Drunken Monk

No release date, but a plot synopsis...

Moon is a Taekwondo master running an old Taekwondo gym in Bangkok. All five members of his family are also the masters of Taekwondo in different styles: his wife Yoon in cooking style, son Taeju in dancing style, daughter Taemi in soccer style, and the youngest Typhoon can break anything with his strong forehead.

Moon wants his children to be Taekwondo coaches to take over his gym in future. However, regardless of their father's will, Taeju wants to be a famous pop singer and Taemi is only interested in her secret crush at school.

One day, Taekwon family encounters treasure robbers on the street by accident and happens to get caught into fight with them. With surprising martial art skills, TK family knocks down the robbers and takes back the stolen treasures. The head of the robbers Pom, who is notorious for many crimes, escapes alone and trembles with rage.

TK family becomes famous in public. But, They do not know that Pom is planning to get his revenge.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay.....that plot just seems lame.:squigglemouth: And they're inventing pseudo-TKD styles, too?:ooh: If this film is going to be worth a flip, they better make sure the action's spot on.

Archived