Yuen Wah at shaw bros

AbeRudder

On hkmdb hes credited as being in quite a few shaw brothers movies, anyone know the ones where he gets some decent fighting or a good acting role? From what ive seen he gets good parts in coward bastard, kid with a tattoo and a great fight at the end of killer constable.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was part of Tang Chia's(Tong Gaai's) crew at Shaws along with Yuen Bun. Mean Jimmy Yuen's boys. Tong Gaai worked with Sun CHung and Chor Yuen/Chu Yuan after having worked with Chang Cheh.

You can see YW in bit parts of just about all of the Sun Chung/Tong Gaai, TG/CY movies. He is always the most used double as well. That's him doing all that stuff for Ku Feng in Avenging Eagle. Once you know him, you can see him all over the place doubling.

As far as roles go, biggest were TKaM and Coward Bastard. Smaller/bit roles in Supreme Swordsman, Rendezvous With Death, Death Duel, Proud Youth, Deadly Breaking Sword, etc.

I think he is great in Return of the Sentimental Swordsman as "Green Faced Spear". His part is short, again, but he has a super segment with Ti Lung and Yueh Hua. And he is kick ass as one of the Japanese gang in My Rebellious Son - he has the great demo fight with Michael Chan Wai Man. I will have to watch Heroes Shed No Tears again soon, and see how much screen time he gets there. You are right though, his appearances seem all too brief. Yes, his Deadly Breaking Sword part goes by too fast as well.

Thanks BaronK, that's awesome to know he is Ku Fengs double in Avenging Eagle, he is fantastic.

Monday - Yuen Wah has a very small part in Heroes Shed No Tears, but it is still a good film.

Overall its good but some scenes are great, like a Shaw version of dragon inn. A film that shows that Ku Feng is one of the best actors in the studio.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Black Tavern has crisp, tight choregraphing. The fighting really is excellent. It has a very cool viciousness to it. Ku Feng as the Devil Whip is simply outstanding. Though, the wardrobes are a bit over the top. Ku Feng with his hooded red robe looks like Santa from Silent Night Deadly Night. It dosen't ruin the film in anyway though. Kang Hua is really good here too.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I have to say, Ku Feng's doubling must be for the flips and dangerous stunts

(ie the stairs in Avenging Eagle) because when it comes to the fighting sequences that's all Ku Feng. He was one of the best fighters in the Shaw retinue IMO. In Master Of Kung Fu he uses the three section staff with mastery. Very impressive fellow.

I need to check out Black Tavern,sounds interesting.And of 3-section staff Kien Shih uses it well in movie Monkey Fist.He was not so impressive in enter the dragon but in monkey fist even as made same year or maybe later he looks like different man when comes to movements.

kungfusamurai

He has a nice sword fight against Chen Kwan Tai in Killer Constable. And I think he had a small role at the beginning of Shaolin Prince, with him and Kuan Feng escaping with the baby prince.

KFS

I think he is great in Return of the Sentimental Swordsman as "Green Faced Spear".

Agreed. I watched him in Sentimental Swordsman. Great scenic presence. I would like to find a link for The Young Avenger (1972), is on my interest to watch it with the iron fan.

If anyone knows any site, please tell me. Thanks :smile:

Alexandra

TibetanWhiteCrane

He brings the heat in Coward Bastard and Kid With A Tattoo, though neither of those films are any fucking good, but he is good in them. Actually, he's always good.

Yuen Wah has a very big part in To Kill A Mastermind, and of course he is spectacular. The movie is action packed and keeps you guessing until the very end.

Archived