Chinatown Kid.... Has anyone noticed that...

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Sun Chien and Lo Mang are unbilled?

I checked out the credits and those guys are not among the 25 actor names credited.

How odd is that? Especially given that Sun Chien is (from memory) the main co-star.

I checked a clip of the English dub and the credits are identical to the Chinese ones (albeit translated into English).

Did they forget...? lol

Sun and Lo are given special mention on the theatrical poster.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the mention of special introduction comes into play because I know this was Sun Chien's film debut and I think it was Lo Meng's first major role after appearing as an extra in Shaw's Shaolin Temple in 1976..

Sentswordsman

I really wish a company would release a Region 1 version of this movie. I'm actually surprised none have stepped up yet.

Media Blasters has the rights to it, but since it was last on their list of the second wave of titles they obtained the rights to, we probably won't see it for another, oh... 10 years?

Just saying, what used to be a 2-4 month distance from disc to disc has become a once a year thing. The only second wave title from Media Blasters that came out this year was Kid With The Golden Arm... and that was AFTER a delay. Iron Bodyguard was supposed to come out in August/September, but now won't be out until next year.

So, your guess is as good as any's as to when Media Blasters will release CK... a film in desperate need of a proper DVD release (preferably with both cuts of the film... even if they need to personally remaster an international English print to do so).

I am propably only who loves short and happy cut of this movie.Like with Duel Of Fists was nice to see hero does not kick bucket.And with CK not even bad guys:smile:

Guest Markgway
I think the mention of special introduction comes into play because I know this was Sun Chien's film debut and I think it was Lo Meng's first major role after appearing as an extra in Shaw's Shaolin Temple in 1976..

Yes, but that's on the poster and not on the film.

Unless the theatrical prints had credits when the actors first appear that were absent from the textless prints used for the remasters?

But then I checked the old dub and there's nothing there either.

Very odd.

Hard to believe Sun isn't listed. I can understand Lo (since his role was much smaller) but...

Sun & Fu were the STARS of this film! :ooh:

Mark - who is this actor? Closest thing I could find to Sun Chien....

scans.jpg

Speaking of this film - anyone from San Franny?

Always wondered where these street shots were. If I ever get back that way, be fun to shoot some photos.

Teako - that credit is for Lu Ti.

Thanks. Yeah very odd Sun isn't listed here.

The street corner is Sacramento and Grant Street in San Francisco. My old KF Studio is to the left on Sacramento about 20 yards!!!. (pic is looking down Grant St)

I walked by this corner everyday for 11 years!!!!

Very cool. Would that be the YC Wong Kung Fu School?

Do you think you could identify other street locales if I posted some caps?

sfgrant.jpg

Looks like BOA is still there as is that hotel (on right).

That bakery sign (further down on right in red) seems to have not weathered so well (if you look further on Google maps).

Yep, I was a teacher at YC Wongs school!!!

I can try to identify them for you. And cool find on the street view.

Identified these two from the street signs and traffic direction.

Ross Alley & Washington Street...

rossalley2.jpg

rossalley1.jpg

Chinatown Arch was easy...

bushandgrant2.jpg

bushandgrant1.jpg

Couldn't find this one... (Jackson and ???)

jackson.jpg

Longshot....?

hill.jpg

Hmmm, Jackson and Kearny??? (looking S on Kearny as it's One way) Will take a look at the DVD for this one.

I think you're right. The façade (building circled in blue) seems to have changed but the bldg in distance (circled in purple) looks right. The sidewalk has a distinct pattern to it and the flow of traffic seems correct. If this is indeed it, note the tree in the screen cap Fu's walking by and the trees (circled in yellow) now.

jackson.jpg

kearny.jpg

I hope that someone, someday, can solve the mystery of why Sun Chiens name is on the film poster but not in the film credits.

Thanks for mapping out the Fu Sheng San Francisco Tour Sites. This is the perfect reason to go see my brother there.

:27:

Fu Sheng is wearing his high heel shoes in the montage sequence, and then his trainers in the preceding and following shots. Very stylin'!

:yociexp45:

Longshot....?

hill.jpg

I believe this is at the top of Lombard Street:nerd: Man I need to take a trip back to SF!

Edit I see Rouge Warrior pinned that one.

Anyone ever been to Tommy's Joint? Isn't that on Van Ness? Been a while.

Archived