Syriana & Jarhead

Guest jirpy100

Guest jirpy100

Watched both last night.

Syriana is an excellent drama with a distinct spy/Washington/political undertone. George Clooney is an CIA operative specializing in the Middle-East. As a new prince is set to take power in Iran, two huge oil companies join forces in America.

Matt Damon on the other hand works for a Swiss finance firm and serves as financial advisor to oldest prince. But it seems there is rivalry between the two princes.

Some accuse the film of being a liberal view on the situation in the east, but it isn't preachy or forces. Just a damn good film.

Jarhead was also cool. They played Nirvana's Something in the Way, which was a cool thing to do.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000

I did like Jarhead but I was a little letdown by it, maybe that was the point, to feel like the soldiers in the film. There were some good sequences in the film but nothing even close to other notable war films.

I felt Jarhead started off strong, then fell off quick. Once they left America it got very uninteresting, for me. I was just sitting there watching nothing really of note.

Guest Markgway

Funnily enough I just watched SYRIANA last night.

Interesting for sure, but really heavy going I found. Some scenes weren't necessary (Jeffrey Wright and his Dad) and dragged the film out, others improperly explained (the Pakistani kids became suicide bombers in five mins and we don't know why?). The political discussion outwieghs the human drama - we don't REALLY care about Clooney's character do we? - and to me that's a mistake. But having said that I'm glad I saw the film at least and many others are sure to get more out of it than I did.

Archived