Introduction / Ask for Recommendation About Ricky Cheng

kungfuandcoffee

kungfuandcoffee

Hi! I'm a fan of Kung Fu movies from way back. I love the Shaw films, but also appreciate the "lesser stuff." Sometimes the "stage-bound" look of the Shaw films is prohibitive to my enjoyment of their films.

I've lurked for a bit. I don't know a lot but I want to know more, see more, "get it" more.

If I liked Ricky Cheng, what would be his absolute best films? He should be better known. Is there a subtitled version of "Seven Steps of Kung Fu" anywhere?

Anyway, thanks, good to know ya.

Lance Burton

---------------------------------

"Kung Fu And Coffee" - Humorous Reviews of Mostly "Not-Classics" - Always Free / Never Decaf - http://www.youtube.com/user/kungfuandcoffee / Talk to me on Twitter / Facebook / Email

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Well, you’ve probably seen Super Ninjas, and Seven Steps. The next best performance would have to be Shanghai 13. He’s a badass dude in that one. I can’t think of any other great performances from him. You could check out Dancing Warrior if you are really desperate for a Ricky Cheng fix.

War of the Shaolin Temple. Top-notch choreography and acrobatics with Ricky Cheng as the shaolin monk in the lead role. Has some really good fights with Alan Chui too.

Morgoth Bauglir

Ricky Cheng just has a small part in War. I wish I knew the lead's name. He's the same guy from Shaolin Temple Strikes Back.

8mark-long-kwan-wu_9e1f7f64a944ba6def42e522b4309920.jpg

kungfuandcoffee

I assume you're looking for the name of the old guy? I've never seen either of these movies, but assuming it's correct, "HK Cinemagic" says Chang Chi Ping, was in both the movies you listed:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=1776

---------------

Lance Burton. http://www.youtube.com/kungfuandcoffee / Humorous Kung Fu Reviews / Recently Posted: "A Life of Ninja

Morgoth Bauglir

Chang Chi Ping has small roles in those 2 movies. Mark Long (Ghost Face Killer) is the old guy in War, and also plays a similar character in STSB. The lead is a young guy who I've never seen in any other movies.

Chang Chi Ping's best roles were probably his monk characters in a few Shaolin movies.

s97_tcVCg18

kungfuandcoffee

Thanks for the info, Morgoth! You guys know a lot! Where does a person go for information when the usual websites fail to provide wanted information? I guess back to old books . . .

---------------

Lance Burton / www.youtube.com/kungfuandcoffee / Twitter / Facebook / Email

First movie I saw RIcky Cheng in was Five Element Ninjas (Super Ninjas/Chinese Super Ninjas). I thought he was an impressive martial artist. Then I saw him as the sword wielding Willow Sword in Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena.

He is also an accomplished fight choreographer. One of my all-time favorite kung fu films is Fighting Ace with John Liu and Kwon Young-Moon. Ricky had a hand in the fight choreography of that film.

Some information I found on HKMDB, mostly likely from a Shaw Brothers DVD

"Cheng became the Lu Kwong opera school's Monkey King in Taipei in the 60s and soon entered in the Shaw Bros. film company before turning to Taiwan, where he starred in some popular movies in the first 80s until he worked again for Chang Cheh and the Shaw Bros. studio. In 1984 Cheng returned to Taiwan to work in several TV series."

Here's some info from HK Cinemagic:

"Taiwan-born Ricky Cheng Tien Chi spent 12 years of his life in the Peking Opera School, from 6 to 18. He worked in many companies such as Lo Wei Motion Pictures and Golden Harvest but he owes to Chang Cheh the majority of his filmography, working both in Chang’s Film Co/Chang Ho and Shaw Brothers. Great acrobat and juggler, he is very good with weapons too and quickly conquered Chang’s admiration, becoming one of his favorites actor/choreographers.

His beauty, charisma, kung fu abilities and versatility allowed him to land some good roles in Chang Cheh’s productions, such as the vindictive and sarcastic ghost in The Weird Man, the smart warrior in Five Element Ninjas, a ruthless killer in Shanghai 13, the well-intentioned and lonely guy in Dancing Warrior and many others. Some of his fellows in the screen were Jackie Chan, Ti Lung, Jimmy Wang Yu, Lo Lieh, Lau Kar Wing, Chen Kuan Tai, David Chiang Da Wei, Alexander Fu Sheng, Leung Kar Yan, John Liu Chung Liang, Simon Yuen Siu Tien and the Venoms crew. Ricky and Chiang Sheng were close friends and, sadly, the former was credited as the one who found the body of the latter in 1991, after being missing for 3 days.

Despite all its qualifications, Cheng worked more in small roles than leading ones and had a short career. He is also not well-recognized as a kung fu star and is rarely mentioned by kung fu film enthusiasts…a pity. His works as action director are equally memorable, with inventive and intricate choreographies, full of acrobatics. Ricky Cheng Tien Chi gave us all his best and his great talent and his lovely face will be always remembered by his few, but faithful fans."

Chieng Tien Chi also had a small role in The Mystery Of Chess Boxing as well, but it was so small a role you might miss him.

His greatest leading role to me was 7 Steps of Kung Fu. in 1979. :xd:

Chieng Tien Chi also had a small role in The Mystery Of Chess Boxing as well, but it was so small a role you might miss him.

His greatest leading role to me was 7 Steps of Kung Fu. in 1979. :xd:

He's one of the students who tries to copy Li I Min's trick with the bowl and ends up getting the rice all over him.

For me, I'd say my favorite Ricky Cheng film was Chinese Super Ninjas followed closely by Shanghai 13 with the Miami Vice gear on.

The Silver Fox

Ricky Cheng has a fairly prominent role in 'Attack of the Venoms' I think the movie is also known as 'The Joyful Godess' or something. It has some cool Peking opera stuff and some good fights but as a martial arts/mystery thriller it is a fairly abysmal effort from Chang Cheh. It has Lu feng and Sun Chein in it as well.

Cheng also has a brief role in 'Ode to Gallantry' as a swordsman with a painted face, he does some cool stuff but it is all too brief. This is another movie that I felt was mediocre. The last 15 minutes are good but the story is frankly,stupid -and it is too talky and convoluted.

As others have said his best roles are Five Element Ninjas and 7 Steps of kung Fu.I still have to pick up Shanghai 13.

odioustrident

If you want to see more Ricky Cheng after all this, I think its worth checking out Nine Demons. The finale and some other scenes are a good example of the same action style he was doing for Shaw Bros. before.

If you had to choose between this and Attack of the Joyful Goddess, I would go for Nine Demons (but theyre both pretty out there).

Archived