• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• One Armed Boxer

• ShaOW!linDude

• blue_skies

• OpiumKungFuCracker

watched this one yesterday, really enjoyed it good action packed Thai schlock , best thing I've seen in ages (barring HKTV) good to see Panna going back to his roots.

watched this one yesterday, really enjoyed it good action packed Thai schlock , best thing I've seen in ages (barring HKTV) good to see Panna going back to his roots.

Seconded, the action is high level. I watched it raw so i dont know bout the plot but it looked totally dumb as you'd expect but the fighting is realll good, way better than born to fight (the 04 one).

The Amazing Psycho Per

Don't think I liked it more then Born to Fight, but definately entertaining. The whole concept is ludicrous, a little reminiscent of Running Man, and felt more like stunt team demo then an actual movie, but the action delivers. I just didn't think anyone stood out. No Tony Jaa or Dan Chunpong are hidden in Panna's young blood pupils. Still, if you enjoyed Born to Fight, you should expect something similar, if you didn't then you should stay clear of this one.

I think it features probably, the most intricate fight choreography I've ever seen in a Panna film. Not even in the 80s Panna did anything so complex, IMO. It wasn't all about fancy, flashy moves or raw, powerful impacts that make you cringe. He created very smart, filled with innovative or at least not so offen seen moves, (like the kick with both legs which I've seen only from Kim Wong Jin in Women On the Run), while keeping them "realistic", with minimal use of wires.

There are three great fights in the movie: the cage fight( I think they used wires once), the HK style pole fight and the great katana fight, which was filled with fresh moves and ideas( I think some wires were utilized also, but very subtle and almost unnoticeable ) After Dynomite Warrior and Raging Phoenix I thought Panna is only able to do his old tricks, but here he topped himself. Nicely shot with relatively long takes these three fights are among the best in recent years. In my personal tastes they are better than any of Donnie's latest work.

The rest is decent,- some fights, some stunts, for the most part not too spectacular and badly shot( like, for example, most of the bike stunts), but a couple of nice ones. Overall, quite entertaining

The cage fight had wires all over the place. They were very well done. That was extremely creative and exciting.

I actually found quite a few people that stood out to me. The "lead" guy(the tdk kicker). The nimble guy in the cage. The wild guy in black on the roof/outside. The kung fu guy.

ShaOW!linDude

That's great!

Patrick Tang is in this. He's the guy who costars in "Raging Phoenix" with Jeeja Yanin. He also has a fight scene with Daniel O'Neill in "Bangkok Adrenaline". I think he's definitely an up-and comer to watch for.

I just saw part of it and this is my review.

-Didn't watch with subs. However, as expected with your typical Thai film. Bad acting and bad/so so storyline.

-That being said, the action is AWESOME!!! It's just so freaking amazing. It's like seeing a bunch of Tony Jaas on screen...future Tony Jaas. From my experience, the only good martial arts film are by Tony Jaa...but this one got a lot of awesome ones.

-I believe that once it's been translated into English, the story would be acceptable and even good. I loved the english version of Ong Bak. I see bright things with thai films...but their acting just sucks...i don't even think it's because it's bad acting. It's just the language or something.

One Armed Boxer
I think it features probably, the most intricate fight choreography I've ever seen in a Panna film. Not even in the 80s Panna did anything so complex, IMO. It wasn't all about fancy, flashy moves or raw, powerful impacts that make you cringe. He created very smart, filled with innovative or at least not so offen seen moves

Excellent...I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD release of this one, it's been a while since a trailer made me drool so much!

after Dynomite Warrior and Raging Phoenix I thought Panna is only able to do his old tricks, but here he topped himself

Actually as far as I'm aware although Panna was involved with both of these prodctions, I don't think he served as fight choreographer for either. In 'Dynamite Warrior' he was just an actor, and in 'Raging Phoenix' I believe he was just on-hand as 'fight supervisor', although maybe somebody that knows more than me could confirm that.

From my experience, the only good martial arts film are by Tony Jaa...

What...recently or ever?:squigglemouth:

I see bright things with thai films...but their acting just sucks...i don't even think it's because it's bad acting. It's just the language or something.

Oh man....here we go again, first it was the Japanese population being a bunch of paedophiles, now it's Thai people can't act because of their language. I don't think I'm going to waste my energy on you this time buddy, go watch some more martial arts movies until you find some good ones.

cant really go wrong with this actionwise, the fight in the water was a waste of time though, apart from that minor gripe i think panna might have just ruined thai action cinema for good as i dont see this being topped :angel:

Excellent...I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD release of this one, it's been a while since a trailer made me drool so much!

Actually as far as I'm aware although Panna was involved with both of these prodctions, I don't think he served as fight choreographer for either. In 'Dynamite Warrior' he was just an actor, and in 'Raging Phoenix' I believe he was just on-hand as 'fight supervisor', although maybe somebody that knows more than me could confirm that.

I'm not 100 per cent certain but I am sure you're right that he had very little to do with the fight choreography in Raging Phoenix. Other people have said the same before and it's the only reason I wish I still had the DVD just to check. It certainly doesn't feel like his work, I mean you can see the difference between chocolate and this, chocolate is in a completely different league.

One Armed Boxer
Somebody in thailand should be able to take thai subtitles and just translate it. What does that say about the country?

I don't know, perhaps you should tell us? Personally I would put it down to it being a developing country.

Most movies that come out of Japan are also not English subtitled, what does that tell you about that country?

Bangkok Knockout shows all that is right and wrong with Thai action cinema at the moment.Theres not much of a plot as expected in these sort of films, but the set up is ok for plenty of action and stunt work. The problem lies with the acting, the fighters are talented stuntmen who've been doubles and extras in director Panna Rittikrai past productions.

The other "actors" are a mix of western and Thai and are truly awful. The dialog when spoken is a mix of badly delivered broken English and Thai and it really does bring the film down a level or two.

The action is amazing, even by Panna Rittikrai's past standards and the stuntmen / fighters really get to show there stuff, but there is so much fighting that towards the end you just become numb to it.

Characterisation is zero and the film has no "emotional content" as Bruce Lee used to say. Comedian "Sena Hoi" is a musician who turned up at the dinner and ends up stranded with the fighters. If you get annoyed at Dean Shek's performances in Hong Kong movies wait until you get to see this guy! At certain points i wanted to throw things at the screen he was so annoying!

As someone said in a previous post it ends up like a show reel for the stuntmen. That is fine, but if you want to watch a movie with a story give this one a wide berth.

If someone could give these guy a good script and decent actors to work with then you could some day get a classic, but otherwise Thai action cinema will stay just an action curiosity which would be a great shame.

ACTION 10 / 10

FILM 3 / 10

Japanese dvds are not subbed because they are meant for Japan not anywhere else!.

Most American releases dont have Japanese subs so are all Japanese people saying American films are rubbish because of that fact?..:angel:

Its nothing to do with them being highly educated, its a stupid statement to say just because a film is not subbed its a crap film....:tinysmile_angry2_t:

One Armed Boxer
On the other hand, so many Japanese dramas are subbed within a week of release. It's because there is a demand for it and the dramas are good.

I know I asked you the same question when you claimed that all Korean martial arts movies suck because they contain too many "crazy sex scenes" and I never got a decent reply...but I'll try again here, can you please provide a few examples of recent Japanese dramas which are popular outside of Japan?

A huge portion of US films are subbed or dubbed in Japanese. Much of the population straight out knows English.

2 simple facts: 1. I live in Japan. 2. I'm an English teacher here.

Trust me, "much of the population" definitely do not straight out know English as you put it.

Tigerstyles

watche it

damn crap production

poor sets etc.

fight scenes on top.. loved em... Halloween dude was hard. some great fight scenes.. the Jackie Chan yute lookalike was crisp with his kicks..loved the way they used the car as a prop to the max!

Panna was well portraid as BADASS, what an old ard fuck

ShaOW!linDude

If we would switch around our R's and L's, it would benefit the Japanese a great deal because it seems to me that they get those sounds mixed up through no fault of their own.:tongue:

You just know they get a kick out of us whenever we pronounce something in their native tongue. ("Bah! Did you hear what that redneck gwai-lo said? He's mixing up his tsu's and his tse's!") {Those probably aren't even proper Japanese phonics.}

I apologize and I have deleted my unrelated posts and all of you should to. This thread should be about the topic, simple as that. For all you of crybabies who get upset over a difference of opinion, get over it! Thai films, such as Bangkok got great fighting..some of the best...but that's it! Acting and story...nope! If you disagree, go play in mud! lol.

But seriously, I'll take back some of what I said. Yes, the acting is so horrible, but the story was a good one. I enjoyed it. Once it is dubbed in English, it was be a great movie, just as Ong Bak was.

I could not resist. First, popular is subjective. Are japanese dramas popular to the point where it's normal in most US households? Of course not. Does it have a huge following online? Yes! There are more than enough people to subbed them after a few of airing and there are so man fans and websites dedicated to J-dramas. It's no doubt that compared to J-films, it's J-dramas are much more popular, as K-dramas is more popular than k-films...and no doubt that anime is more popular than all of them.

You are more than welcome to join us at this website.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewforum_13.htm

I also would appreciate it you just stfu! This is forum dedicated to martial arts and we all should be able to express our opinions without people getting upset about it. Martials Art is a genre that attract little kids as well...and by having sex scenes in them hurts the movie's potential to profit and spread. That's not my opinion and I don't need somebody crying and upset at me because I'm stating a fact!

I know I asked you the same question when you claimed that all Korean martial arts movies suck because they contain too many "crazy sex scenes" and

I never got a decent reply...but I'll try again here, can you please provide a few examples of recent Japanese dramas which are popular outside of Japan?.

One Armed Boxer
I also would appreciate it you just stfu! This is forum dedicated to martial arts and we all should be able to express our opinions without people getting upset about it. Martials Art is a genre that attract little kids as well...and by having sex scenes in them hurts the movie's potential to profit and spread. That's not my opinion and I don't need somebody crying and upset at me because I'm stating a fact!

No need for harsh language, abbreviated or otherwise!

This is, as you correctly point out, a forum. If you`re intentions of posting here are simply that you want everyone to agree with you, it`s the wrong place. Yes, people come on here to express their opinions. Some people will agree with the opinions being expressed, others will have a differing viewpoint, that`s what makes the conversations so enjoyable and interesting.

My problem with you is that you state your opinions as facts, you even say it yourself in the passage I`ve quoted. It`s hardly a crime, and I can`t say I`ve ever shed any tears over your posts either, but a lot of what you say comes out of sheer ignorance. One of the best things about being a member of this forum is the chance to be educated about topics perhaps you`re not aware of, learn about new movies, and it`s the best resource for getting the correct information about older movies.

There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey, maybe I got that wrong", it`s called humility and is one of the most important qualities for people to have in my opinion. However you don`t seem to have an ounce of it, if I disagree with you then your response is to just repeat your point over and over again.

So we have threads where you`re endlessly repeating that Japan`s population are all paedophiles and their entertainment industry is full of incest, that Koreans are incapable of making a good martial arts movie, and even when they do try they`re so stupid they include sex scenes in the story, and that Thai movies are only watchable once they`ve been dubbed into English.

OAB...STFU!!!!

Who cares about my opinions or if I am stated it as facts. It doesn't matter! When I start posting fake release dates, fake films, and stuff like that, then you can chime in. Otherwise, who cares! If you think Tony Jaa is the greatest actor in the world or the worst fighter..kool! If you disagree....that's kool too. There's no need to cry about it or bringing irrelevant topics about it.