Bangkok Knockout (2010)

blue_skies

blue_skies
Though Tony Jaa's Ong Bak 3 failed to top the Thai box office on release - and there is a very good reason for that, sadly - all is not lost in the world of Thai action film. While walking through the market today an exec from production house Sahamongkol film pulled me aside with some very exciting news: Panna Rittikrai is currently wrapping up directorial duties on multi-discipline fight film Bangkok Knockout.

For the uninitiated, Rittikrai was the star of stacks of low budget action films in the 1970s and 1980s, is the mentor of stars Tony Jaa, Dan Chupong and Jija Yanin and has been the principal fight choreographer on virtually all of Sahamongkol's fight films since the original Ong Bak. He is also an accomplished director in his own right - his most recent directorial effort, Born To Fight, still stands as my favorite of the Sahamongkol action films. Yes, I like it better than Ong Bak - and arguably the man most responsible for the look and feel of current Thai action cinema. He's also one hell of a fighter himself and accomplished in many different disciplines, an awful lot of which he's putting on screen in this one. Film Business Asia got some details on the film and according to them the film "features a group of 'fight club' pals whose styles [nine in total] vary from Muay Thai and Capoeira to kung fu and Tai Chi. When one of their number is kidnapped they find themselves fighting for their lives."

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/05/cannes-2010-panna-rittikrai-prepares-bangkok-knockout.php

I'm lookinh forward to this one!!!:xd:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• One Armed Boxer

• ShaOW!linDude

• blue_skies

• OpiumKungFuCracker

Well if you liked Born to Fight better than Ong Bak then our tastes in movies are on the opposite spectrums.

I also think people should give Jaa a break, he wouldn't be the first person to drop the ball, even accomplished hollwood directors do it. I give the guy credit, he tried to bring something different, OB3 will not be the movie he intended to make.

I liked Rittikrai ultra low budget movies I've seen, just hope he gets away from the gimmicky "mixes" he tries to pull off, just get back to some hard hitting action, leave all the sports and break dancing shit out of it.

blue_skies
Well if you liked Born to Fight better than Ong Bak then our tastes in movies are on the opposite spectrums.

I also think people should give Jaa a break, he wouldn't be the first person to drop the ball, even accomplished hollwood directors do it. I give the guy credit, he tried to bring something different, OB3 will not be the movie he intended to make.

I liked Rittikrai ultra low budget movies I've seen, just hope he gets away from the gimmicky "mixes" he tries to pull off, just get back to some hard hitting action, leave all the sports and break dancing shit out of it.

Sorry I forgot put that in a quote box. That wasn't my opinion about born to fight that was the article writers comment.

From Twitch...

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/11/afm-2010-panna-rittikrai-gives-thai-action-a-kick-in-the-ass-with-bangkok-knockout.php

Though director Prachya Pinkaew sat at the helm of Ong Bak and Chocolate and therefore takes much of the credit in launching Thai action films into the international market the big force behind the scenes was action choreographer, trainer and mentor Panna Rittikrai. Also an accomplished director himself, Rittikrai is now about to give the action scene he helped foster a good, solid kick in the ass with Bangkok Knockout.

A fight film that takes a number of Rittikrai's favorite behind the scenes stunt men and thrusts them into the leading roles, Bangkok Knockout is a film that knows exactly what it is about: A group of men doing seemingly impossible, fool hardy and potentially fatal things to themselves and each other in the name of entertainment. With the Thai release coming in December, producers Sahamongkol Film have come armed with a lengthy promo reel - which we hope to share with you soon - and this is pure gold for fight and stunt fans.

Anybody out there remember the truck stunt from Rittikrai's Born To Fight? The one they boasted was the most dangerous stunt ever put on film? He tops it here. The stunt work is powerful, agile, and inventive, putting several new wrinkles on the style that Rittikrai helped to create. I don't expect it to rewrite the book in terms of plot and storytelling but in terms of straight up action this is the film to watch for right now. No question.

http://i51.tinypic.com/bfs7xl.jpg

So far, we've had two films with Bangkok in the title and both have been appalling. I'm hoping this will be a case of the third one being a charm. I'm damn excited for this one.

One Armed Boxer

Finally.....a movie that has Rittikrai front & center, even if it is behind the camera!

This is exactly what Thai action cinema needs, what people consider to be the cream of Thai action cinema....'Ong Bak', 'Tom Yum Goong', 'Born to Fight', & 'Chocolate'...all have Rittikrai's stamp all over them, and all of them are modern day actioners.

The genre has taken a pounding without him being in majorly influential positions...let's face it every Thai action movie has a barely servicable plot, but normally the action is so outstanding it's forgivable, but of late when all we've had is 'Sanctuary', 'Raging Phoenix', 'Power Kids', & 'Bangkok Adrenalin', it's becoming less and less of something that can be overlooked.

With Rittikrai back on full directing and choreography duties, we should get at least 90 minutes of full contact fighting and insane stunts...and in the drama heavy martial arts movie world that we live in right now, this is exactly what I'm looking forward to!

So far, we've had two films with Bangkok in the title and both have been appalling.

Which movies are you referring too? I can think of 3....the already mentioned 'Bangkok Adrenalin', the sub-par horror anthology 'Bangkok Haunted', & the Pang brothers' excellent debut feature 'Bangkok Dangerous'.

Which movies are you referring too? I can think of 3....the already mentioned 'Bangkok Adrenalin', the sub-par horror anthology 'Bangkok Haunted', & the Pang brothers' excellent debut feature 'Bangkok Dangerous'.

I actually didn't like the original "Bangkok Dangerous" though I was focused more on the dismal remake. I forgot about "Bangkok Haunted," though that was shite too.

I have to admit I'm pleased by this news and I'm very excited by the possible results. However I will stand up for Bangkok Adrenaline regardless of other people's opinions. Dispite its flaws I found it a very entertaining martial-arts movie in a time when Hong Kong cinema has delivered very few films of this type in many a year. It's certainly more enjoyable fare imho than the lavish budget Donnie Yen movies with more drama than action.

This is exactly what Thai action cinema needs, what people consider to be the cream of Thai action cinema....'Ong Bak', 'Tom Yum Goong', 'Born to Fight', & 'Chocolate'...all have Rittikrai's stamp all over them, and all of them are modern day actioners.

I actually thought this myself that I didn't feel that Raging Phoenix had Panna's stamp on it in the slightest and I'm sure when I owned the DVD for a short time Panna wasn't listed as the action director/choreographer. Obviously since I've sold the DVD I can't confirm this and still feel fairly sure he was only just a producer or executive producer. Given DM's appreciation for Raging Phoenix and dislike of Bangkok Adrenaline amazes me.

I have to admit I'm pleased by this news and I'm very excited by the possible results. However I will stand up for Bangkok Adrenaline regardless of other people's opinions. Dispite its flaws I found it a very entertaining martial-arts movie in a time when Hong Kong cinema has delivered very few films of this type in many a year. It's certainly more enjoyable fare imho than the lavish budget Donnie Yen movies with more drama than action.

I have to say I agree with blue skies about Bangkok Adrenaline. Yes, there's all the Tony Jaa-move list going on, and yes it was cheesy in terms of plot, but let's face it. I'd rather spend 85 minutes watching this rather than deal with some really crappy remake or sequel to a good movie.

ShaOW!linDude

Why spend the full 85 mins. now that you've seen it all the way through once and know how awful the plot and acting are? I'll never do that again. I like the potential displayed in it. I'll just ff to the action scenes and enjoy them.

I just can't wait!!! Some of the stunts were done in old Panna's movies, but still, look impressive.

As for the fights, I just hope they didn't use a lot of wirework, if any

Thanks for posting the link.

I have mixed feelings...more bad than good. The stunts are definitely crazy and nutty, but that cheapens the fighting. The fighting don't look real or cool. Like one guy, he spin kicked another guy, and it just look so unnatural. It's like why he had to spin around? At least in Chinese films, they often spin as a result of somebody trying to hit/kick them, but this dude just spinning for no reason....and it don't even look good.

Only Tony Jaa has been able to make real raw looking fight scenes that look so natural. Actually, now that I think about it, Yamada: The Samurai Of Ayothaya looks freaking amazing. This movie on the hand looks like it's gonna fall under other Thai movies. Crazy stunts, fake fighting, and bad acting.

Twitch just put up the trailer. All I've got to say is good lord!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/11/full-contact-thai-bodily-destruction-in-bangkok-knockout.php

One Armed Boxer

Well...I'm sold, a trailer that focuses completely on action with no talking...when did we last see that!

Some of the stunts were done in old Panna's movies, but still, look impressive.

Agreed...actually while watching a lot of old Panna movies I'd often think it would be great if they could put these stunts in a new modern day movie with a proper budget to back it up, like they did with the truck stunt, motorbike stunts, and final fight in the 'Born to Fight' remake, so it's great to see them here.

A fight film that takes a number of Rittikrai's favorite behind the scenes stunt men and thrusts them into the leading roles

As a side note, this is what Jackie Chan should have done about 15 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VslFKaRiHUI&feature=player_embedded

In 1080p.

Holee smokes! Panna and his crew went nuts. That's some creative stuff there. Creative and interesting use of wires. There's some OB style, some Raging Phoenix style and some Born to Fight style going on there, all in one movie. I think I saw Kook in there as well. Wow.

ShaOW!linDude

Holy Freakin' Cow!

That looks wild! I saw Patrick Tang in there from "Raging Phoenix". I liked his bit in "Bangkok Adrenaline", too. I'm psyched! I didn't notice a release date. I'll have to go back and check it out again.