Shaw's Jackie-inspired kung fu comedies

KyFi

You know, I used to always be one of those people who didn't really like comedy with my kung fu, but I think after getting so many of the deadly serious Shaw movies from Celestial, I now can appreciate the comedies a bit more.

I noticed Shaws trying to jump on the Jackie bandwagon with a few flicks, and while they're not as good as Chan's and Sammo's stuff, I like them as a change of pace. Of the ones I've got, I'd probably include

The Fighting Fool

Monkey Kung Fu

The Tigress from Shaolin

Kid wtih a Tattoo

I don't have Coward Bastard, but I think that's another one. Any others, or any opinions on this kind of sub-genre?

Have you seen 5 superfighters yet?

I haven't seen it yet, but I have it in my unwatched pile. Is that the same director as Boxer from the Temple? I like that one---I guess that might also fit in this category.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have it in my unwatched pile. Is that the same director as Boxer from the Temple? I like that one---I guess that might also fit in this category.

I do not know movie "boxer from temple" but 5 superfighters is from guy who directed monkey kung-fu.Not quite as good but still entertaining.

The Master starring Yuen Tak is an obvious one

Coward Bastard is an absolutely horrible movie with like 5 minutes of good action. Better just to watch Yuen Wah's fights on youtube.

Five Superfighter is pretty awesome, far better than Boxer From The Temple. The end fight is pure madness.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

How about: COWARD BASTARD.

I don't think I really liked this outing.

Just read the from AbeRudder absolutely correct a real loser.

GD Y-Y

Kid with Tattoo was AWESOME!

I didn't realize Tigress was a comedy. A friend of mine who has pretty much the entire IVL line said Tigress is one of the only SB movies he didn't like! I still have it on my want list, though, although it's somewhere near the bottom. Anyone here recommend this one?

I love a lot of the Shaw-medies. Who wouldn't?

and Winners & Sinners is an AWESOME movie ! I just saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago and I loved it !

I didn't realize Tigress was a comedy. A friend of mine who has pretty much the entire IVL line said Tigress is one of the only SB movies he didn't like! I still have it on my want list, though, although it's somewhere near the bottom. Anyone here recommend this one?

Been quite long time since gave it a shot.But some fights are good.Kara Hui has only small role in flick.I have seen worse from Shaw studios although not often.

Give it a go after you have done with priorities.

Just watched it last night, and I give it a solid recommendation. Sure, it's got a fair amount of less-than-hilarious comedy, and Hui Ying Hung doesn't fight as much as you'd like---but it's got a lot of great action, too. Some above-average sets and backgrounds, and a nice score, IMO.

not inspiration from Jackie but SPIRITUAL BOXER

others MAD MONKEY KUNG FU

MY YOUNG AUNTIE

THE YOUNG VAGABOND

but I bet you knew all of these. Sometimes it's nice to have a light heart Fu film.

Maybe not quite Jackie-inspired, but Martial Arts of Shaolin has a lot of comedy, including Jet Li in drag, (the horror) which did remind me of Jackie's drag scene in Fearless Hyena...

Orly?Film turns quite dark and almost everybody dies.

That was a comment to Fu Films in general.

I've never actually seen YOUNG VAGABOND saw clips on youtube & thought it was a bit too wacky.

That was a comment to Fu Films in general.

I've never actually seen YOUNG VAGABOND saw clips on youtube & thought it was a bit too wacky.

It`s quite interesting how tone of movie changes completely.It`s very well worth checking out there is some great fights.

Those are all good ,but to me the best Jackie Chan style Shaw is Kid from Kwantung- it even uses a lot of Jackie costars plus I always felt like Wong Yue was just as funny or funnier than Jackie. Id say Mad Monkey ,but I feel like LKL helped originated the kung fu comedy if not invent it.

Cognoscente

If it wasn't for Fu Sheng's death, we might have seen him do a Fortunes-style movie with Lau Kar-Leung as the Sammo of the trio with Hsiao Ho being Yuen Biao's rival.

• Like 2