The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - Spielberg/Jackson

AlbertV

2581.jpg

Courtesy of Empire Online

The Adventures of Tintin is a new CGI movie based on the very popular Belgian comic strip by Herge (nee Georges Remi) in the late 20's. HBO even showcased an animated series version in the early 90's.

Jamie Bell (Jumper, Billy Elliot) voices the titular character, Andy Serkis (Lord of the Rings) as Capt. Haddock, Daniel Craig (the latest James Bond) as Red Rackham, Simon Pegg as Thompson, Nick Frost as Thomson.

Steven Spielberg helmed the film with Peter Jackson producing.

The movie has a UK release of October 2011 and it is rumored that the US will get the film next Christmas.

45763.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

The story mixes several of the original volumes:

The Secret Of The Unicorn (obviously, as the full title of the movie is The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn)

Crab With The Golden Claws

Red Rackham's Treasure (though very little is taken from this one)

It has however noticeable differences and includes entirely new elements (Sakharine becomes the main villain when he was only a side-character in the original story).

Personally, I found this one to be among the very best movies released in 2011. I really liked it, in spite of the differences or alterations it brought. In terms of negatives, some elements made me go "WTF ?!" (stuff having to do with Sakharine for instance) and the soundtrack was disappointing (compared to the 1990s animated series, it's very forgettable), especially considering it was composed by John Williams who gave us the unforgettable Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park or Harry Potter themes. I also don't like the way Tintin looks, while I find Haddock or the Thompsons very nice - they seem like the original Hergé characters brought to life.

Apparently, a sequel would be set for release in late 2015 (Jackson wanting to finish the Hobbit trilogy first) and it seems very unclear, considering pretty much every volume has been quoted as a possible sequel (usually as the third or 4th one) - all we know is that 2 stories will be mixed and the Thompsons will have a bigger part. Eventually, Calculus may also be introduced.

Spielberg mentionned in 2013 that The Blue Lotus could be adapted for the 3rd sequel (or would it be a prequel, seeing neither Haddock nor Calculus are in it ?) and I guess it will introduce Tintin's Chinese friend Chang Chong-Chen in the movie franchise. For the record, Hergé intended to have a very stereotypical portrayal of Chinese in this one until he met a guy named Zhang through one of his friends - the Chang from the book is apparently a nod to this real-life character. Interestingly, this story is the direct sequel to the previous volume, Cigars of the Pharaoh. Guess Spielberg/Jackson will have to insert elements of this one into the story.

@Space, 2D is not dead. well maybe its dead at the major studios, but there are plenty of independants and tv channels making animation. I am actually in the process of making an animated film.

Archived