Shaw Camera Technique?

Iron Boat

Using this clip of Shaolin Mantis as an example, this is how I/we remember Kung Fu Films looking during the late 70s and early 80s. What is the editing technique called that is used during many of the opening credit sequences? Where the image appears stretched and given an almost exotic kind of look. The first thing I noticed with the IVL's is they did away with the "stretched image" openings of the originals and made it look like the rest of the film. When they remaster these films is it not possible to keep the "stretched" 1970s look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZwofCcYDA

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link doesn't go to any clip. If you want to embed, use INSERT ONLY THE YT # HERE - NOT FULL URL[/youtubeX].

Make sure there's no gaps - I had to leave one at the end (the red "X") otherwise it wouldn't have showed up in text form.

Actually, its not a camera technique per se. Its more like cheating.

The stretching you refer to is due to the fact that they're keeping the original aspect ratio (so all the screen credits are shown complete) within a 4:3 square box. Once the credits are over, they then usually revert to showing the film in full-screen, clipping off each side of the frame.

Hate when they show the credits in wide (not this way - but normal 2.35) because then I think the whole film will be wide and then BAM - it goes f/s.

Actually, its not a camera technique per se. Its more like cheating.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 referred to these squashed opening titles as "Long Torso Vision"!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 referred to these squashed opening titles as "Long Torso Vision"!

Now thats a good way of describing it

kungfusamurai

That's an anamorphic squeezed image. That's how they put it on the film that's projected in the theater, but then a special lense pulls it out wide. You get a similar effect on your TV if you change the setting on the DVD player to play an anamorphic DVD in a full screen TV.

KFS

Using this clip of Shaolin Mantis as an example, this is how I/we remember Kung Fu Films looking during the late 70s and early 80s. What is the editing technique called that is used during many of the opening credit sequences? Where the image appears stretched and given an almost exotic kind of look. The first thing I noticed with the IVL's is they did away with the "stretched image" openings of the originals and made it look like the rest of the film. When they remaster these films is it not possible to keep the "stretched" 1970s look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZwofCcYDA

Interesting post.Well the camera technique in Shaw movies was way sophisticated than this but as video killed the radio star and many other things what can one expect.

These films were not made to be shown on the " idiot box " but on big panoramic screens.

Good info in Teako and Kungfusamurai's brilliant posts.

the Buggles live!!!

Yeah they sure do :wink: I've always found that song hilarious but there is an irony and some truth to it.It also has some historical significance.

Vi - di - yo - killed - tha - ray - di - oh - star.(Video killed the radio star) . Well it did didn't it?

Archived