Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

AlbertV

This is not a joke...

Tom Cruise has revealed to E! Online the official name of the new Mission: Impossible film. He said he did not want the film to be called M:I4 because I guess he was tired of "numbers", so the film will be officially titled

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL

Cruise returns as M:I lead agent Ethan Hunt. Also returning are Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg. Joining this time around are LOST's Josh Holloway, Jeremy Renner, and Paula Patton. Brad Bird (THE INCREDIBLES) is making his live-action directorial debut with the film, which is set to be shot in Dubai, Moscow, Prague, and Vancouver.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I like the M:I franchise and I like Cruise in the role. I hope Bird takes notes from M:I2. I think it's been the best of the 3 so far.

J.J. also got two different Alias writers (other than Orci and Kurtzman i mean) to pen the script. I like that Bird gets a chance at a big action film. A logical progression for Ethan Hunt for this film is to be the "voice" that sends people on missions. He's had a higher position (team member, mission leader, mission trainer) in every film, so I think this would be cool.

I still think the first movie is the best. Followed by the third. The second one didn't feel like a mission impossible film to me as much. Still fun, though. I like this series. I love the original TV series. None of the films come close to the brilliance of these old scripts IMO. The first film came the closest.

Guest WuxiaFan
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL

Cruise returns as M:I lead agent Ethan Hunt. Also returning are Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg.

That title is lame! I hope they decide to go back to M:I4. I love the franchise, so I hope this one is better than III. I was not a fan of III. :ooh:

I like the M:I franchise and I like Cruise in the role. I hope Bird takes notes from M:I2. I think it's been the best of the 3 so far.

Agree with you, Dude! Let's hope the director takes notes from John Woo. :rolleyes:

massa yoda ~

One of the BEST signature statements - EVER!

:yociexpress01:

Guest Markgway

Wasn't keen on Pt3 when I saw it at the cinema... but I saw it again on TV earlier in the year and enjoyed it a lot more.

Don't like the title... Mission Impossible IV would do.

I honestly thought the title was for a video game spin off... I guess it's different, not sure if that's a good thing though, could be initially confusing.

absolutely mission impossible 2 was by far the best of the franchise. I was so gutted after watching the third instalment that it has dented my faith in the movie series.

absolutely mission impossible 2 was by far the best of the franchise. I was so gutted after watching the third instalment that it has dented my faith in the movie series.

Well, this is produced by J.J. Abrams company Bad Robot, so it will no doubt be more like 3 than 2. But to me this isn't a bad thing. I like that Simon Pegg is returning too. Gives a little more continuity to the series.

Guest Markgway

Not sure yet. Trailer wasn't all that, but I think the film will be better. Sticking on shitty rap music didn't help one iota.

Sticking on shitty rap music didn't help one iota.

LOL, oh come on, that's Eminem with Pink!

Looks good. Don't really care for M2. Just can't get into bastardised Woo. Does nothing for me.

I like M1. I really like Depalma's visual style. He does lovely things with cameras. Liked the setting as well. Movie didn't blow me away but I'm not a Cruise fan.

Don't remember much about M3 aside from the color saturation.

Well, this is produced by J.J. Abrams company Bad Robot, so it will no doubt be more like 3 than 2. .

Ah crap

Don't really care for M2. Just can't get into bastardised Woo.

bastardised Woo or Hollywood Woo is still better than probably 99.999% of other action directors in Hollywood in my opinion anyway.

ShaOW!linDude

I thought:

M:I 1 had a good plot filled with intrigue but was a little light on the action especially in the fisticuffs department.

M:I 2 had a nice HK film touch to it and the stunts and fighting were cool and more than made up for 1.

M:I 3 was more along the lines of 1 plot wise but had some of the better action of 2 though less hand-to-hand.

M:I:GP looks to be more of a combo of 2 & 3 with more fisticuffs than the 3rd installment.

bastardised Woo or Hollywood Woo is still better than probably 99.999% of other action directors in Hollywood in my opinion anyway.

Let's not separate story from action here. MI is all about espionage and the first MI movie had that approach transcending the formula of the TV series very well as a movie adaptation. Then it diminished with the sequels which became overblown action movies with little to no relevance to that that made MI famous. Woo's action in MI2 was refreshing but as an MI movie, it can't be denied that they are out of place and Woo made that movie so irrelevant to the whole franchise.

I quite enjoyed MI3 so Ghost Protocol should be something of a nice treat.

AndyWayne84

The question i have is interms of Cannon. Are the events of MI3 cannon or there going to pretend that Even Hunt never got married in the end of MI3????

The question i have is interms of Cannon. Are the events of MI3 cannon or there going to pretend that Even Hunt never got married in the end of MI3????

I have heard uncomfirmed rumor that Michelle Monaghan will make an uncredited cameo. As I said earlier, Simon Pegg is reprising his role from MI:3, so the movie is definately canon.

AndyWayne84
I have heard uncomfirmed rumor that Michelle Monaghan will make an uncredited cameo. As I said earlier, Simon Pegg is reprising his role from MI:3, so the movie is definately canon.

Thanks for the heads up massa_yoda. BTW Sorry for mispelling Ethan Hunt.

Darren Shahlavi talks about working on MI:GP:

"The stunt coordinator called me up and said they wanted me to come in and do a fight scene with Tom Cruise. I said, “I get to fight Tom Cruise?” They said yes so I said, “fantastic…I’m there.” Then I get to the set and it’s Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner and they’re going to be fighting three guys. I was going to fight with Tom and the other two were going to fight with Renner. Then Tom wanted to fight two guys so he was going to fight the two guys and I was going to fight Jeremy Renner. But the whole point of this fight scene was to show how good Jeremy Renner’s character was at fighting so the fight we’re in is very quick. It’s a nice scene. I mean I got to hang out with Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner for three days and watch them work, which was a thrill. Renner was fantastic. He picks up the fighting really well. He’s such a great actor. He comes across really well. Very strong and very capable. Trust me in the new “Bourne” movie he’s going to be awesome! Seriously, he’s going to surprise a lot of people. So even though it’s really just a cameo…you get paid good money and you get to hang out for three days with two of your favorite actors. It’s a great gig!"

http://www.mediamikes.com/2011/05/interview-with-darren-shahlavi/

ShaOW!linDude

Cool post, massa_yoda.

Interesting insights. Looking forward to seeing that fight scene.

Archived