The Wolverine (2012)

AlbertV

General consensus is "NO!" but I actually don't hate it. It's a bit of a mess and a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, but for empty minded entertainment I've actually seen much worse.

I think they Brett Ratner (thanks mpm) did for X-MEN: THE LAST STAND what Sam Raimi did in SPIDER-MAN 3...just overloaded it and it ended up quite a big mess...there were some good things in it, but overall just meh!!!

I finally caught THE WOLVERINE last night and actually enjoyed it! Nice fight scenes coordinated by Jonathan Eusebio...Will Yun Lee did a better job here than he did as the villain in Elektra. And loved the mid-credit scene....very nicely done!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they Bryan Singer did for X-MEN: THE LAST STAND what Sam Raimi did in SPIDER-MAN 3...just overloaded it and it ended up quite a big mess...there were some good things in it, but overall just meh!!!

I finally caught THE WOLVERINE last night and actually enjoyed it! Nice fight scenes coordinated by Jonathan Eusebio...Will Yun Lee did a better job here than he did as the villain in Elektra. And loved the mid-credit scene....very nicely done!

Not to be a detail whore, but it was Brett Ratner that directed X-men: TLS, not Singer.

Looking forward to Wolverine. Do I need to watch any of the X-men movies or the last Wolverine movie to enjoy it? (I've only seen the first X-men).

Do I need to watch any of the X-men movies or the last Wolverine movie to enjoy it? (I've only seen the first X-men).

You don't need to. It's meant to be a stand alone adventure, but seeing THE LAST STAND might help you understand Wolverine's pain and loss a little better (If you don't already know what happens). It would also increase your enjoyment of the extra scene in the end credits.

They also acknowledge what was established in ORIGINS, but I don't think they ever talk about the events of that movie at all.

You don't need to. It's meant to be a stand alone adventure, but seeing THE LAST STAND might help you understand Wolverine's pain and loss a little better (If you don't already know what happens). It would also increase your enjoyment of the extra scene in the end credits.

They also acknowledge what was established in ORIGINS, but I don't think they ever talk about the events of that movie at all.

Hmmm, maybe I should just be a hero and watch all the X-men films. Thanks for the info.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Hmmm, maybe I should just be a hero and watch all the X-men films. Thanks for the info.

You coming over? I have hot chocolate and Marshmallows. I just got the extended edition, very excited to see the additional footage added to an already enjoyable film. I've seen all the X-men film except the 3rd one directed by Ratner because, you know Ratner is directing it, lol.

I think Brett Ratner did for X-MEN: THE LAST STAND what Sam Raimi did in SPIDER-MAN 3...just overloaded it and it ended up quite a big mess...there were some good things in it, but overall just meh!!!

(thank you mpm...youre a true detail whore..LOL..kidding ...oh no wonder why i thought it was meh...had Singer directed it...i'm sure it would have been better

The Wolverine - Okay, I enjoyed this one a lot. It was thankfully bereft of the pointless mutant appearances that existed just to showcase as many characters as possible. There are only two mutants (including Wolverine himself) and one giant robotic samurai. The plot here is a lot more focused than the last Wolverine film, plus you know, it has samurai and ninja. I liked both Mariko's and Yukio's characters and Henry Sanada once again gets to exercise his bad-a** credentials. He really deserves some sort of lifetime achievement award in bad-a**ery. Viper was an interesting character to include, as I thought she would've been more appropriate for a Captain America film. The part about her being immune to men was silly, since the last time I saw her in comics (early 1990s), she was having a torrid affair with the Red Skull. Too bad this didn't do quite as well at the local box office (although I really think they need to just retire this franchise).

masterofoneinchpunch

I enjoyed this one more than Origins. One of my favorite scenes was the train fight sequence. I thought it was going to score a little more than it did at the box office. I did not like Viper as much as the other villains.

The inclusion of Gambit and all those mutants being held prisoner by Stryker was what hurt Origins for me.

I liked seeing Viper as a villainess, but her portrayal reminded me too much Typhoid Mary and Poison Ivy from other, sucky movies to be effective.

Archived