Spartacus: Blood and Sand

daisho2004

Has anyone seen this series on Starz? I finally got to watch the 1st. 4 episodes last night and all I can say it was totally off the hook! It has that poor Man's CGI but after awhile it doesn't even bother you, this show it totally Brutal, and has a lot of Sex in it as well, after a while its like OK enough sex get on with the story and the action scenes. But this is how the Romans were. If you liked Rome you'll love this show, the fight scenes are so graphic and sick! Cannot wait to finish this entire series.

Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. The classic tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral new series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

61N-cf2seqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Yep, me and Mrs. liked this, too. The 2nd season is due to start in January. Unfortunately while starting production on it, the star Andy Whitfield was diagnosed with a treatable form of Hodgkin's disease (I believe that's correct). He went into treatment and came out with a good report only to have it resurface about a month ago. Therefore he has temporarily left the show to deal with it. My understanding is that they had filmed about 1/3 of the 2nd season. I believe they are now going to make the 2nd season more of a prequel and show how the House of Batiatus rose in prominence. I imagine they'll rely heavily on the character Crixus to show this. (He started off as a jerk but by the end of the 1st season I kind of liked him.)

Damn that sucks to hear, hope he's alright and can finish the series. I have been waiting to see this series since I had seen the preview last year. And I wanted to wait and watch the entire series all at once, so I didn't order Starz. I just hope that they finish this series and don't stop halfway through like HBO did with Deadwood, another great series that they just ended before it was even finished!

ShaOW!linDude: Here is the article that you were talking about: http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/spartacus-star-andy-whitfield-wont-return-for-season-2-future-of-starzs-series-is-in-limbo/

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, that sux, dude. My wife really likes him, too. He's a good actor and that's a really tough break for him. I hate it. If he ultimately can't make it back, I wonder if they'll cancel the show or recast his role (which my wife considers fighting words).

daisho2004 do we have the same order form for DVDs? I swear we do!

This show is phenomenal. One thing I really like it the Shakespearan dialogue that is exact, rich and well written. Many films fail in trying to write dialogue HALF this good (like Ridley Scott's Robin Hood).

It's on my top TV series of all time. Great acting, original and creative storyline, and the action and sex do not let up.

daisho2004, I'm surprised you put the remote down to post. Couldn't keep my eyes off it for a moment.

As for the show, they began filming the prequel, this summer, but haven't filmed season 2 yet. Given the creativity of the show's creators I have confidence they will be able to recast and rewrite whatever is necessary to move forward.

daisho2004 do we have the same order form for DVDs? I swear we do!

VenomsFan: Great Minds think alike!

ShaOW!linDude: I'm sorry to say if he cannot make it back them recast him, that show is too damn good to just let it go away like that! I myself hate to see people recast but sometimes it has to be that way. Hey they did it with all the James Bond movies!

I also hope that they don't ruin this series with this prequel, because it really doesn't have anything to do with Spartacus.

VenomsFan: Great Minds think alike!

ShaOW!linDude: I'm sorry to say if he cannot make it back them recast him, that show is too damn good to just let it go away like that! I myself hate to see people recast but sometimes it has to be that way. Hey they did it with all the James Bond movies!

Andy has dropped out of the series because he has to continue treatment and Starz has opted to continue on and re-cast. The top name rumored to replace him is Wentworth Miller of Prison Break.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm feeling you on that, daisho2004. If the studio heads were smart enough to cast Whitfield then I think they'll be smart enough to cast a suitable replacement. My wife just really likes him as an actor and got into all things Whitfield there for a while. There's a movie call "Gabriel" he starred in. It's actiony. Not the greatest but not the worst either. Don't buy it but it's worth a rental if you're curious.

I can't see them messing anything up with the prequel. Like you said, it really doesn't have anything to do with Spartacus.

ShaOW!linDude

Albert......dude......did you not read my posts? Did you not see my post where I said talk of recasting Whitfield were fighting words to my wife?

I showed her your post and she laid into me. ("You can't believe what everyone writes. He didn't give a link. How did he get his information." You can imagine the tone of voice for yourself.) I tried to defend you but.............look, I was ready to watch 'Community' and eat my popcorn.

So, I looked it up this morning and have confirmed your post and salvaged your honor. (It's at Blogomatic 3000.com under the TV category.) I mean, the one time you don't provide a link.......Anyway we're straight and I guess this next tongue-lashing will be truly my own.

Albert......dude......did you not read my posts? Did you not see my post where I said talk of recasting Whitfield were fighting words to my wife?

I showed her your post and she laid into me. ("You can't believe what everyone writes. He didn't give a link. How did he get his information." You can imagine the tone of voice for yourself.) I tried to defend you but.............look, I was ready to watch 'Community' and eat my popcorn.

So, I looked it up this morning and have confirmed your post and salvaged your honor. (It's at Blogomatic 3000.com under the TV category.) I mean, the one time you don't provide a link.......Anyway we're straight and I guess this next tongue-lashing will be truly my own.

LOL...well, here's an official rumor link from Entertainment Weekly...Just for you ShaOW!lin!!! :D

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/14/wentworth-miller-eyeing-spartacus/

OK I just finished watching the entire series last night and all I can say is that it was TOTALLY AWESOME! I never seen a show as Great as this one, don't get me wrong I loved The Shield and True Blood but this one tops them all. I hope that Andy Whitfield gets better after his Cancer treatment, and he can resume his role as Spartacus, I really hate to see someone else replace him, but I still cannot wait for season #2 and I'm not referring to the prequel.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm with you, daisho2004. That last episode was something else, wasn't it?

I just can't see Wentworth Miller taking over in this role.

Dark Horizons announced the three main contenders to replace Andy Whitworth as Spartacus:

Stephen Amell (TV actor from Canada), Aiden Turner (All My Children), and Liam McIntyre (newcomer from Australia) are flying out to New Zealand to screen test. Don't worry daisho and ShaOW!lin, Wentworth Miller expressed interested but was obviously not offered the role.

ShaOW!linDude
Dark Horizons announced the three main contenders to replace Andy Whitworth as Spartacus:

Stephen Amell (TV actor from Canada), Aiden Turner (All My Children), and Liam McIntyre (newcomer from Australia) are flying out to New Zealand to screen test. Don't worry daisho and ShaOW!lin, Wentworth Miller expressed interested but was obviously not offered the role.

Yea!

My $ is on the dude from Australia, Land of the Leading Men Down Under.

(I'm just saying that. I don't know jack about any of those guys. Just happy it ain't Miller.)

Dark Horizons:

Australian film and TV actor Liam McIntyre has won the gruelling and rigorous audition process to claim the title role in the second season of Starz’ hit franchise “Spartacus”.

McIntyre takes over the role of the Thracian warrior sold into slavery in the Roman Republic city of Capua – where he rises to become the champion of the city – before leading the slave revolt that ended the first season 'Blood and Sand' where the role was portrayed by Andy Whitfield.

Whitfield was forced to leave the show in order due to health issues and has given his blessing to the recasting.

McIntyre, currently in New Zealand in training for the role, begins work on the production in Spring. His credits include guest spots on shows like "The Pacific," "Rush" and "Neighbours".

ShaOW!linDude

diasho2004, my brother.......he's most likely out for the count. I don't know that he'll come back. It would be nice and he certainly deserves to retain the role. I believe that should he recover from his latest bout of illness (and hope that he does) he'll find another project. Never know.....Starz may put him in something else.

My understanding is that it was his decision to bow out for the sake of the show and that speaks to his ethics as a person and artist.

So.........got my dvr all set for Friday night. Ready to start this new season. A prequel series should prove enjoyable......I hope.

Now if Andy Whitfield hopefully recoups what is Starz going to do?

If he does get better and STARZ renews the show for a 3rd season, maybe he could come back then...who knows?

STARZ "renewed" Spartacus for a second season before the first episode even aired and I have heard rumors that is was bought as a three season package deal that would have a definite complete story arc.

OpiumKungFuCracker

What kind of Cancer does he have again??? In one of those youtube videos he didn't look too well, I hope he's ok....

What kind of Cancer does he have again??? In one of those youtube videos he didn't look too well, I hope he's ok....

It is Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He was diagnosed last March and by June he had a clean blill of health. However, it had returned which is why he left the series.

Archived