Choy Li Fut (2011)

AlbertV

Guest Yi-Long

Movie looks like a nice time-waster, but WHYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy the sucky CGI sequences!?!?!?

It just looks like a constipated monkey's ass-cream. Why not just pick a nice field with a tree, and shoot the sequence there?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesse Smooth

Well, the DVD I bought in San Fran Chinatown is a bootleg. The sound blares up at times. Overall, I liked the movie. Though, there was no need for certain scenes to be in CGI. Nothing spectacular, but enjoyable if you have time to kill. Perhaps there is hope after all for the genre to break into the 21st century. Kane Kosugi is good and I need to catch up on his other recent work. Let's hope Sammy Hung follow's his dad's footsteps. Oh yeah, it was cool to see a Lau Kar Wing cameo.

I saw the bootleg of this in Chinatown today but passed. I'll pick it up eventually, to be a Sammo and Lau Kar Wing completist.

crazedjustice888

Has there been any version of this film yet with READABLE english subs? I know it just came out, but despite varying opinions, I have actually been waiting to see this movie.

If its not out yet, any idea when it would be?

Has there been any version of this film yet with READABLE english subs? I know it just came out, but despite varying opinions, I have actually been waiting to see this movie.

If its not out yet, any idea when it would be?

What, you don't like it when they plug Chinese into Babel Fish to make English subs?

I remember my old boots of Ip Man 1 and 2...I got a literal headache after watching the movies and trying to read the subtitles.

"But Leaf Gate, you9 must coming to WingChun teaching!"

Choy Lee Fut will have its European Premiere at London's Prince Charles Cinema on Saturday 7 May 2011 as part of the Terracotta Far East Film Festival.

ShaOW!linDude
What, you don't like it when they plug Chinese into Babel Fish to make English subs?

I remember my old boots of Ip Man 1 and 2...I got a literal headache after watching the movies and trying to read the subtitles.

"But Leaf Gate, you9 must coming to WingChun teaching!"

BWAAA---HAAAA---HAAA!!!!

Dude, if I still smoked left-handed cigarettes, I'd be hitting you up for these.:tongue:

One Armed Boxer

Kozo just posted a review over at lovehkfilm.com....basically saying to the average moviegoer it's a laughable mess, but for fight-fans it might just (& it kind of sounds like a big 'just') be passable -

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/choy_lee_fut.html

I'm still on the fence about it, the trailer didn't do a whole lot for me, and I'm not really a big fan of movies where the final fight takes place in a ring....'Fearless' is just about the only movie that falls into that category which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm still on the fence about it, the trailer didn't do a whole lot for me, and I'm not really a big fan of movies where the final fight takes place in a ring....'Fearless' is just about the only movie that falls into that category which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Rocky?

It is a cliche at this point though. I don't mind a tournament scene thrown into a movie, but not as the main focal point.

One Armed Boxer
Rocky?

Ah....I should have specified 'kung-fu movies'!

Do it in a field, an abandoned factory, an old quarry, the bad guys hidden lair, on top of a building, just not in a ring!

The Amazing Psycho Per

wow... a very poor effort... what a bore... I could be going on forever on what is bad, but basically, everything is bad. Seriously don't waste your time on this.

lillippa328

^Its really that bad with Sammo and Yuen Wah? How were the fights?Were there alot? a llittle more detail please, if ya dont mind

Tigerstyles
wow... a very poor effort... what a bore... I could be going on forever on what is bad, but basically, everything is bad. Seriously don't waste your time on this.

the trailer was enough

looks lame wont be watching it for sure now!

TheGrimReaper

Just saw it yesterday...

Where to begin - simple plot, comic relief characters, nothing too special in the fighting department, and I almost fell alseep during the middle part of the movie.

Yuen Wah and Sammo just thrown there to generate audience, especially Sammo - he is no more than 10 minuties into the film - I suppose his name will be written with big letters on the poster.

Crappy fighting scenes - plenty of quick cits, awful editing, short takes, only the second fight in the Super fight procedure featuring Ken Kosugi, was a bit watchable - all the rest just boring and tedious...

It was more like "strike a pose" movie with pumping soundtrack like in "Fast & Furious" franchise, nothing out of the ordinary, or at least good choreography...

I'm disappointed - it could be a lot better if an eforts has been put in it...

Cash cow (or chicken) for me - oh and the english speaking people at the beginning were simply laughable :)

This mess should not be reccommended - it hurts eyes and destroyes brain cells :)

For me it was total crap - 1/10, one of the worst movies form the genre I've seen in years...

The Amazing Psycho Per
Just saw it yesterday...

Where to begin - simple plot, comic relief characters, nothing too special in the fighting department, and I almost fell alseep during the middle part of the movie.

Yuen Wah and Sammo just thrown there to generate audience, especially Sammo - he is no more than 10 minuties into the film - I suppose his name will be written with big letters on the poster.

Crappy fighting scenes - plenty of quick cits, awful editing, short takes, only the second fight in the Super fight procedure featuring Ken Kosugi, was a bit watchable - all the rest just boring and tedious...

It was more like "strike a pose" movie with pumping soundtrack like in "Fast & Furious" franchise, nothing out of the ordinary, or at least good choreography...

I'm disappointed - it could be a lot better if an eforts has been put in it...

Cash cow (or chicken) for me - oh and the english speaking people at the beginning were simply laughable :)

This mess should not be reccommended - it hurts eyes and destroyes brain cells :)

For me it was total crap - 1/10, one of the worst movies form the genre I've seen in years...

My thoughts exactly... Fights are so badly shot and edited, I can't even comment on the skill level of Sammy Hung... Sammo doesn't do much except a small pole fight where he is dubbled half the time, and Yuen Wah doesn't do much more except smoking a pipe. The screenplay is an insult to a five year old's intelligence and I can't think of one single second of redeaming quality in this tripe. It's a waste of the viewer's and everyone involved's time.

I saw this at the aforementioned Terracotta festival. There were only about 30 people in the cinema. That was a bad omen. Yes it is as bad as the previous two comments. After the disgusting romantic montage my friend burst out with a belly laugh, and I joined him. And we thought this would be the best of the three we saw.

PLEASE EVERYONE AVOID THIS MOVIE.

It's the kind of movie that makes you lose faith in the genre. Luckily I saw Gallants the next day, and it reaffirmed my faith in the genre!

The Silver Fox

I watched CLF yesterday, I'm still kind of reeling from the experience. With the talent involved it could have been good but I am simply shocked at how tedious and just how thoroughly BAD this was.

Sammo is hardly in the movie and when he does appear he is drinking beer and just kinda standing around saying nonsense.This is a neutered martial arts film,drained of blood,grittiness and passion. Nobody even gets killed-why are the 'bad' guys bad? Because they have goatees?

The plot makes little sense-what? Sammo is a Choy Lee Fut secret agent, sent around the world to open kung fu schools? WHAT !! Cringe-worthy CGI air battles between aging kung fu masters, the audience at the end tournament look like students in a high school gymnasium, forced to endure this badly polished turd.

It didn't seem like the film makers cared about what was happening. Laughable dialogue like 'Hey, you wanna go to China?' "Oh okay, why not' type stuff. Like the logistics of just leaving the UK and relocating to some martial arts school didn't require more than 2 seconds thought.

There are some decent martial arts on display here and there and the end fight shows some good stuff especially from Kane Kosugi-but he is vastly underused for the majority of the film. The romantic sub plot was cartoonish and ill advisedly added for a wider appeal.

This is another Sammo crapfest which reminded me of other misguided efforts like Wushu or Kung Fu Chefs.

The Silver Fox

Well it was better than CLF, but that ain't saying much. To me, it had the same confused plot, dated MTV style editing,bad CGI and featuring a bored and semi-disoriented Sammo sleepwalking his way through another mediocre film.

It has a neither here nor there quality which is how I felt about CLF-the movie just couldn't figure out what it wanted to be.

TheGrimReaper

I've done some thinking over this movie and decided to watch it again - as if to give it a second chance - the result, well it's worse than I thought...

For more detailed explanation here is a link to my blog:

http://martialartsmoviesstation.blogspot.com/2011/08/sammo-hung-yuen-wah-kane-kosugi-sammy.html

Thank you in anticipation.

Greetings from The Grim Reaper

Archived