Choy Li Fut (2011)

AlbertV

I read October's IMPACT magazine and there is a new movie entitled CHOY LI FUT that will be coming out soon.

The story revolves around two best friends in Europe (played by real-life best friends Sammy Hung and Kane Kosugi) who love martial arts. They are Hung Gar exponents after learning the art from Hung's father (Sammo Hung). When they want to learn other forms of martial arts, they head off to China in an attempt to learn the art of Choy Li Fut Kung Fu. Kosugi's character wants to learn the art because his grandfather was once defeated by a female exponent of the art and wanted to learn but never had the chance to. When the duo head to China, they learn that the Choy Li Fut school is being challenged by a rival school. Hung and Kosugi enter a martial arts tournament to save the future of the school.

Cast:

Sammo Hung, Sammy Hung, Kane Kosugi, Yuen Wah, Lau Kar-Wing, Ian Powers, Sam Wong

Co-Director and Fight Choreographer is former Jackie Chan Stunt Team member Sam Wong, who choreographed Kosugi's 2002 Japanese action film MUSCLE HEAT.

Mike Leeder did a great job with the report and definitely am looking forward to this one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

And, dude...........don't tease me.

Wow, awesome cast. I haven't seen Lau Kar Wing in anything recently, although I'm sure he's been working somewhere.

Is "Sammy" Hung related to Sammo?

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I thought Sammo had a boy named Timmy. He's no MA from my understanding though. Like JC's kid, he never was interested in it. I guess Sammo's shadow is kind of big to live in and, yes, I went there.

Thanks Albert....

Sammo has three sons and one daughter...Timmy who is an actor and action director, Jimmy who is more into his music and was part of a Taiwanese group named TENSION...and Sammy who is the youngest son

Sammy has been working on film & Tv proejcts for the last few eyars, and his skill isnt shabby

The movie also starts Kane Kosugi who kicks considerable ass and you do wonder why he isn't a bigger star, he has the looks, the moves and the right attitude

Lau kar-wing's son also pops up in the movie, as does Beijing based american martial arts actor Ian Powers from 'Contract Lover', "Treasure Hunter' etc

Movie is currently in post

One Armed Boxer

This should be good....and hopefully will be a great showcase of Kosugi who, much like Wu Jing, always seems to be on the fringe of making a modern day action classic, but always seems to miss the mark.

So it looks like this movie will beat 'Silent Storm' to cinema screens by the looks of it?

I really hope Jung Doo-Hong & Ryu Seung-Wan collaborate on the later movie considering it's a Korean co-production. The final fight sequence in the short film 'Timeless', with Kosugi facing off against multiple attackers while wearing a backpack was pretty awesome, I'd love to see it included in a full-length feature.

"Silent Storm' has yet to shoot...Choy Li Fut wrapped at the end of August, have seen the first few trailers and the action looks great...Sammo vs Yuen Wah, Kane & Sammy taking on all comers....Ian Powers & Sam Wong as the villainous kickboxers looking for trouble..Lau Kar-wing back in action...all choreographed by Sam Wong from 'Police Story 3: Sueprcop' "Night Life Hero' etc

Kane should be a bigger star, he's a hell of a good guy, no attitude or ego issues, very good skills and enthusiastic about filmmaking, something a lot of people could learn from

This should be good....and hopefully will be a great showcase of Kosugi who, much like Wu Jing, always seems to be on the fringe of making a modern day action classic, but always seems to miss the mark.

So it looks like this movie will beat 'Silent Storm' to cinema screens by the looks of it?

I really hope Jung Doo-Hong & Ryu Seung-Wan collaborate on the later movie considering it's a Korean co-production. The final fight sequence in the short film 'Timeless', with Kosugi facing off against multiple attackers while wearing a backpack was pretty awesome, I'd love to see it included in a full-length feature.

TIMELESS is really good. (link to video) Did a subtitle script ever turn up for this?

CHOY LI FUT sounds promising, can't wait to see it.

Here's almost 15 minutes of sample footage. :bigsmile:

y4Goz-EtBf8

looks like it's going to be pretty good but it's a real shame it hasn't been subtitled for this sampler. Who are the actors playing the young Sammo and Kane?

Choy%20Lee%20Fut%20poster2.jpg

Proper trailer:

ci9-xhYTVWY

Trailer 2: check out 1:22 - Kane and his helicopter kick

NKQTs66J6WQ

Drunken Monk

Sadly, I still don't think this looks very impressive. Most trailers at least give you a little taster of the good choreography on display and this just looks mediocre.

AndyWayne84
Choy%20Lee%20Fut%20poster2.jpg

Proper trailer:

ci9-xhYTVWY

Trailer 2: check out 1:22 - Kane and his helicopter kick

NKQTs66J6WQ

Ill still give it a shot. Beauitful Helicoputer kick by Kane.

i should have watched this flick last week, now it's not screening anymore here where i live, well i will wait for the dvd lol

Just saw it and here's my review.

-Didn't watch the subtitles. Storywise, it looks like it was decent. Not the best, but enough to keep moving. By comparing this to Yamada, the last film I saw, Yamada is a hell lot better and i really like yamada.

-The fighting was good..but not great like ip man. Mainly because of the camera, rather than the fighting.

-Like half or maybe 2/3 of the film, there's not enough fighting. Some cool action here and there but just not enough. It wasn't horrible though. It had training, stupid love crap, some fights.

-The end was CRAZY!!! This was my favorite part and I believe saved the whole movie. The great thing was the fight scenes was very long. It was one of those fights where you could go into the other room, take a piss, go grab something to eat, come back, and they're still fighting, and you wouldn't miss a thing. I loved it!!! Non stop action! Reminded me of old martial arts films.

-The music was really cool, minus the singing. Great action music. Just a great soundtrack.

-Conclusion. This movie is no ip man, ong bak, yamada, reign of assassins, hero, and the likes. Nowhere close, Not as fulfiling, yet a nice treat. I give it a slight thumbs up. My time was not wasted.

ShaOW!linDude
-The end was CRAZY!!! This was my favorite part and I believe saved the whole movie. The great thing was the fight scenes was very long. It was one of those fights where you could go into the other room, take a piss, go grab something to eat, come back, and they're still fighting, and you wouldn't miss a thing. I loved it!!! Non stop action! Reminded me of old martial arts films.

That's what I'm talking about!

Looking forward to seeing this.

And it just hit me...I saw the photo with Lau Wing-Kin carefully and the guy he is fighting in the photo is co-director/fight choreographer Sam Wong, who plays the top heavy. Ian Powers (fighting Kane in the top pic) plays Sam's student.

Archived