Battle Royale (2000) & Battle Royale 2 (2003)

Guest BuddhasClaspedHandz

Recently picked up the Tartan region free "directors cut", I see its being released in the US now, I'm sure they are trying to capitalize on any Hunger Games buzz. Anyone checked out the new US dvd yet?

OpiumKungFuCracker
Recently picked up the Tartan region free "directors cut", I see its being released in the US now, I'm sure they are trying to capitalize on any Hunger Games buzz. Anyone checked out the new US dvd yet?

It's pretty nice, the whole dvd set fills out like a folder/files with each disc in it's own divider.. I think there's about 4 disc total??? I don't remember if it came with a collector's booklet or not but I have to check to see but yeah dude it's a nice box set to go on your coffee table...

So I'm eating my words: Anchor Bay has actually managed to get the colour timing fixed on their release. It's actually a decent upgrade. I'll probably shell out for it in future.

2 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Is this the definitive DVD release for the two BATTLE ROYALE films? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L4MWTQ/ref=pe_164580_226411270_em_1p_0_ti  It seems loaded with bonus contents and has also got both the theatrical and director's cuts for the first film.

I may prefer the colors on the Arrow release (and artwork definitely), but that's probably good value for money.

Image comparison here:

http://caps-a-holic.com/index.php?s=battle+royale

Arrow's releases only contain the first film, and I think the 3 disc editions are OOP now. The 1 disc edition only contains the theatrical cut.

• Like 3

Takuma, how do these two films compare to the two ICHI THE KILLER films? I understand that both are notorious for some seriously extreme gore and violence (the reason I bought ICHI!) and are controversial enough to be outright banned in some countries. Your thoughts?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Takuma, how do these two films compare to the two ICHI THE KILLER films? I understand that both are notorious for some seriously extreme gore and violence (the reason I bought ICHI!) and are controversial enough to be outright banned in some countries. Your thoughts?

Ichi the Killer was controversial because it was so violent. But it's just gory entertainment and exploitation. Battle Royale is a far more serious film and a true masterpiece. It's controversial not because it's graphic but because it features school kids killing each other.

The sequel... it's been ages since I saw it, but I think it's safe to say no one considers it essential.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 0:29 AM, Takuma said:

I may prefer the colors on the Arrow release (and artwork definitely), but that's probably good value for money.

Image comparison here:

http://caps-a-holic.com/index.php?s=battle+royale

Arrow's releases only contain the first film, and I think the 3 disc editions are OOP now. The 1 disc edition only contains the theatrical cut.

Do you know if the blu ray releases are a definite upgrade over the DVDs?

Edited by De Ming Li
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Do you know if the blu ray releases are a definite upgrade over the DVDs?

That probably depends on which dvds you're talking about, and what you consider a "definite upgrade".

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 10:36 PM, Takuma said:

That probably depends on which dvds you're talking about, and what you consider a "definite upgrade".

I was thinking of the Arrow version, would the picture quality be substantially better than the DVDs?

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Battle Royale II (2003: Kinji Fukasaku, Kenta Fukasaku: Japan):

Being a completist sometimes has its ill effects.  While I am not the biggest fan of the original, it is an important and influential film.  No matter what the author of The Hunger Games states, I still think this (and/or the manga) was an influence on that series.  There are just too many similarities.  But you know what can make you appreciate a film more -- watching a much worse film.

I do wonder what Kinji would have made of this if he had not died during the filming.  There was some promise early on in the movie (though when you have a film named Battle Royale it makes little sense to not have a Battle Royale), but even then I wonder.  What we ended up with was much worse than I was expecting (and I heard/read nothing good on it).

This starts after a little while after the first film where Shuya Nanahara (the cowinner of the first film) is a terrorist and well they decide to send an untrained school body as part of a contest to kill him.  This makes less and less sense as the film goes on.  There was no real reason for this.  They were not doing it for ratings.  They are untrained so they really should not have been expected to do well.  The trained Japanese military are actually worse later on.  The back-and-forth makes no sense whatsoever and the ending contradicts much of went on earlier.

The camerawork was horrible. Shaky cam that would have made Paul Greengrass annoyed.  So much so that it left me more confused (maybe) than the plot.  And the political potshot to the US was just weird. I thought it was going to have something to do with the storyline (IMDB states that Quentin Tarantino was offered a role as US President in this but could not make because of scheduling, I have not heard Tarantino say this).

Riki Takeuchi as the sensei is insane.  He is so over-the-top he is like a sneering constipated Elvis on methamphetamines.  He just does not chew-the-scenery, he puts tabasco sauce on it and eats it whole.  Now I want to see him act with Nicholas Cage in a buddy cop movie.  If I could get actors from different times imagine this: him, Cage, Klaus Kinski, Jô Shishido, and Vincent Price for what would be the greatest team heist movie of all-time.  Heck I’ll throw in John Barrymore at his hammiest.

I cannot recommend this to anyone.  It is an incompetent abomination and, in a way, feels like The Trail of the Pink Panther after Peter Sellers died.  There are better movies to watch.  Many more.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
9 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Riki Takeuchi as the sensei is insane.  He is so over-the-top he is like a sneering constipated Elvis on methamphetamines.  He just does not chew-the-scenery, he puts tabasco sauce on it and eats it whole.  Now I want to see him act with Nicholas Cage in a buddy cop movie.  If I could get actors from different times imagine this: him, Cage, Klaus Kinski, Jô Shishido, and Vincent Price for what would be the greatest team heist movie of all-time.  Heck I’ll throw in John Barrymore at his hammiest.

This part is gold. I mostly like Riki Takeuchi, reason being his OTT performances. 

I'd watch that buddy cop movie and I'd definitely watch that heist flick. Who would you have directing it? My first thoughts were Seijun Suzuki or John Waters.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
7 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

This part is gold. I mostly like Riki Takeuchi, reason being his OTT performances. 

I'd watch that buddy cop movie and I'd definitely watch that heist flick. Who would you have directing it? My first thoughts were Seijun Suzuki or John Waters.

Why not both?

Heck, I would also give it to John Woo (an omnibus film maybe) AND have him add in a musical sequence.  Of course for that we would have to add Christopher Walken (with "Weapon of Choice" playing in the background).

• Like 3

Super Ninja
45 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Why not both?

Heck, I would also give it to John Woo (an omnibus film maybe) AND have him add in a musical sequence.  Of course for that we would have to add Christopher Walken (with "Weapon of Choice" playing in the background).

Then I'd have the three do it Triangle (2007) style, maybe with Tomoyasu Hotei on the soundtrack and the musical sequence featuring double gun action but with Cinderella 2000 characters. I think we have something here.

Cinderella-2000-19771.png

Cinderella-2000-19772.png

• Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 12:22 AM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Battle Royale II (2003: Kinji Fukasaku, Kenta Fukasaku: Japan):

Being a completist sometimes has its ill effects.  While I am not the biggest fan of the original, it is an important and influential film.  No matter what the author of The Hunger Games states, I still think this (and/or the manga) was an influence on that series.  There are just too many similarities.  But you know what can make you appreciate a film more -- watching a much worse film.

I do wonder what Kinji would have made of this if he had not died during the filming.  There was some promise early on in the movie (though when you have a film named Battle Royale it makes little sense to not have a Battle Royale), but even then I wonder.  What we ended up with was much worse than I was expecting (and I heard/read nothing good on it).

This starts after a little while after the first film where Shuya Nanahara (the cowinner of the first film) is a terrorist and well they decide to send an untrained school body as part of a contest to kill him.  This makes less and less sense as the film goes on.  There was no real reason for this.  They were not doing it for ratings.  They are untrained so they really should not have been expected to do well.  The trained Japanese military are actually worse later on.  The back-and-forth makes no sense whatsoever and the ending contradicts much of went on earlier.

The camerawork was horrible. Shaky cam that would have made Paul Greengrass annoyed.  So much so that it left me more confused (maybe) than the plot.  And the political potshot to the US was just weird. I thought it was going to have something to do with the storyline (IMDB states that Quentin Tarantino was offered a role as US President in this but could not make because of scheduling, I have not heard Tarantino say this).

I cannot recommend this to anyone.  It is an incompetent abomination and, in a way, feels like The Trail of the Pink Panther after Peter Sellers died.  There are better movies to watch.  Many more.

I'm watching the Arrow blu release and not seen BR2 since I picked up a pirate copy in Vietnam 15 years ago.

The movie so far is crap. 47 mins into a 2hr 30 min movie. I know its not my TV but my picture seems to be made up of faint blocks. Like its a DVD transfer or something. Not smooth. 

• Like 2