Battle Royale (2000) & Battle Royale 2 (2003)

Guest BuddhasClaspedHandz

Guest princepan

Go to amazon.co.jp

Although most of their DVDs are region 2, the quality is superb.

I've got one Region 2 Owl's Castle from there, though not bought by myself, given to me as a present from a friend of mine.

Some of the Region 2 samurai movie DVDs have English sub.

Guest Daisho2004

I don't know how many of you seen this movie, but it was a really wild one. I watched pt.#1&2 but pt.#1 I thought was a lot better story wise.

Battle Royale pt.#1

Plot:        An explosive film about a class of teenagers who are stranded on an island and forced to kill one another--or be killed.

Overview:        Thinking they are about to enjoy a field trip, a class of 9th graders calmly boards a bus that brings them face-to-face with the worst instincts of mankind. Director Kinji Fukasaku decided, at the age of 70, to make a film warning young people not to trust adults. The message may be obvious, but its delivery is chilling. It's a nightmare teenage version of "Survivor," a deadly game with no talk show appearances awaiting the victor. And your host for the carnage is the stone-faced Takeshi Kitano, a past teacher of the students.

Kitano explains the rules. Each student is given a backpack with minimal supplies and one weapon (some of which appear completely useless). They are given a limited time to kill each other off; failure to do so will result in their own termination, via bomb-enabled collars affixed to their necks. The disbelieving teens are shocked into action when Kitano demonstrates the deadly force of the neck collars, and the murdering quickly begins. Some students band together, some try to figure out how to avoid killing anyone, and some give in eagerly to their basest instincts in order to exact revenge. The question changes from "Who will survive?" to "Who wants to, when the price is so high?"

Battle Royale pt.#2

Plot:        42 high school grads battle against the last BR survivor and his team. This time they don't have to kill each other, they have to kill the enemies; and they are paired up--if one of the two in a team dies, the other's necklace is activated.

Overview:        Shuya, a survivor from the Battle Royale game three years ago, has declared war against all adults and the adults have decided to bring in a new school class for the new game, Battle Royale 2. This time, 42 high school graduates are forced to battle against Shuya and his team on an island where Shuya has his base. The only differences between the old and the new game is that this time the students don't have to kill each other, they have to kill the enemies, and also, this time everyone's teamed up with a partner of the opposite sex. As soon as one of the two in a team dies, the other one's necklace automatically activates itself.

Guest kungfusamurai

Pt 1 is definitely much better than Pt 2. I think Pt 2 tried to hard to make a statement about US foreign policy and all that. I mean, it's good to make a point, but if it's too in-your-face, it comes across as being too preachy. Plus, the shock value of Pt 1 is much more powerful than Pt 2, which just feels too much like it was riding on the coat-tails of Pt 1 instead of standing out on its own.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

kfs, I agree with you they were trying to make a statement with pt.#2 that's where they went wrong, just stick to what made the 1st. one so good and build up from there.

On another note, Hollywood is doing a remake of this film, which I can only imagine who will star in it.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Part 1 was brilliant. It blew me away when I saw it a few years ago. BTW I saw BR 1 on the shelf at Suncoast today! It was the Universe R3 disc. Never seen a R3 disc at that kinda retail store before. Part one was just bad. Rikki Takeuchi was entertainingly over OTT. But you could tell Kinji Fukasaku was not at the helm of this one.

On another note, Hollywood is doing a remake of this film, which I can only imagine who will star in it.

Already made. Have'nt you seen the trailer for "The Condemed"?

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
its got a different storyline everyone who are in this one are Condemned Killers not School Kids.

Do you think any major US company has the balls to make that movie with school kids!? After Columbine and VA Tech, not a chance.

Guest Daisho2004

Good point but hey you never know!!! They made films about 911, and I'm sure people didn't really want to relive that all over again.

Guest kungfusamurai

When I saw the trailer for that Stone Cold Steve Austin movie in the theatre, I thought it looked Battle Royale-ish. But it seemed so weak, I didn't bother looking into it any deeper. I figured it was either a rip off of Battle Royale or a different take on The Most Dangerous Game.

There's no way Hollywood would ever depict school kids in such a scenario, whether Columbine happened or not. I think anything that shows a kid getting killed on screen is cut from films. Although, haven't films like Scream and Final Destination shown younger adults meeting their maker?

KFS

Guest KevinClo

I liked the first one a lot. Part 2 was just a bit strange. Tons of action, but the thing they kept saying about seeing women in the Middle East with their smiling faces made me go "What?" lol!

KC

I haven't seen part 2, but the first one was good, hot Japanese girls in short skirts, how can you go wrong?:P

Geezus, must we remake eveything that comes out of Japan? Hollywad always takes these movies and pussiefy them beyond belief, ah I give up.

Guest kungfusamurai

For me, Finjisaku is hit and miss. I don't think he quite captured the old chambara film feel when he attempted to resurrect the period film in the late 70s to early 80s. The Yakuza Papers films were awesome (great drama, but it's not a martial arts film series, in case Sonny Chiba-style action fans are wondering).

KFS

Guest Yakuza954

Finjisaku? lol. Sounds like a weird hybrid of his first and last names.

Samurai films are definitely not Fukasaku's specialty. He originally didn't want to make samurai films and it took the studio several years to persuade him to do so. Nonetheless, I think his samurai work is superior to what was being made at the time (which is a testament to his ability). My favorite samurai film of his is Crest of Betrayal, from the 90's, so its worth checking out if you weren't impressed with his earlier entries into the genre.

The thing I love most about Fukasaku was that he was so damn versatile. Samurai, Yakuza, Sci-fi, WW2, Romance, or whatever genre Battle Royale is.. He did it all.

Guest Stuntman Jules

He wasn't trying to make old style jidai-geki or chambara films. He was trying to bring his own style to them and that he did very well. The only one of his sammy films I don't like is FALL OF AKO CASTLE, mostly because he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted with the subject matter and it really shows.

Guest Mr Dragula

Battle Royale 2 came off flat and uninspired, a rather forgettable effort really. If it weren't for its predecessor no one would give two sh$% about it.

I've only seen a handful of Fukasaku's Jidai efforts, and while not as impressive as his Jitsuroku I found them all to be well worth watching and quite enjoyable. Come on, Legend of the Eight Samurai is classic! :lol

If it comes by in 2nd hand shop I give it a shot.Finished Pt2 and while there is quite a lot action when things finally kick off it`s not than interesting or particularly well done either.

If it comes by in 2nd hand shop I give it a shot.Finished Pt2 and while there is quite a lot action when things finally kick off it`s not than interesting or particularly well done either.

Good. You won't regret it!

I love BR! I first seen it back in 03 just weeks before BR2 hit Japanese theaters and I had to watch it again after I first saw it. I couldn't believe what I just seen. It was nuts. Then about a day after BR2 hit DVD over there, I had it seen it through "other" means. I didn't have a problem with it. I still don't. I like it, though the Special Version, BRII: Revenge, actually ties it together with the first film much better and it also fixes most of the flaws of it that Requiem had. Granted, in Revenge, they added 20 minutes back into the movie. So if any of you wanna see BR2, check out the Revenge version. You may like it more. I hate the Special Version of the first movie with the 15 extra minutes. I thought they just ruined the pacing of the film completely when they did that.

When it comes to Fukasaku. I have a hard time figuring out what my favorite of his is, because BR and Graveyard of Honor come very close. In fact, I just got done watching Graveyard of Honor. And I've seen a lot of his 70s stuff from the entire Battles Without Honor & Humanity series (I despise that Yakuza Papers name), to Street Mobster, Black Rose Mansion, Doberman Cop, Hokuriku Proxy War, Shogun's Samurai, Fall of Ako Castle, Legend of Eight Samurai (which I loathe lol), Makai Tenshou and even Tora! Tora! Tora! I strongly recommend Fall of Ako Castle (aka Swords of Vengeance) for anyone wanting to find his best samurai film. Mind you, it's almost 3 hours long.