Ringu vs The Ring

teako170

Some time ago, I watched the US-made, The Ring (2002). I found it to be fairly decent though later found out it was a remake of the Japanese film, Ringu (1998) -- which was suppose to be far superior.

Other night, I was looking for some good Halloween type flix and saw the 4-disc Ringu set. Now, its all subjective but I watched this original version and wasn't really all that impressed. My question is (no, not which version is better) but which of the other Japanese films in this series is worth watching?

I have the Ringu: 4 Disc Anthology of Terror set which has:

...Rasen, the sequel to Ringu,

...Ringu 2

...Ringu 0.

Anyone seen these three later films? Any better than the first Ringu film?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
Now, its all subjective but I watched this original version and wasn't really all that impressed.

Definitely everything is subjective, but still, my first reaction to this line was "WHAT!?"....this is the movie that kicked off the whole black haired ghost craze in Asian movies that carried on for the best part of the next decade, had one of the most iconic and memorable final scenes in horror movie history (that Hollywood completely bastardized by constantly cutting to and from Namoi Watts speeding through traffic in her car), and still has one of the creepiest and foreboding atmospheres in a movie I've seen!

I think there is a big possibilty that your experience was ruined by seeing the Hollywood version first with it's ridiculous scenes of horses running around ships, flys coming out of the TV screen, and step ladders spinning by themselves...I thought it paled in comparison!

Whatever you do, if you decide to watch 'Ju-On', 'Kairo', 'One Missed Call', 'Dark Water', 'Shutter', 'Permonition', 'A Tale of Two Sisters', or 'The Eye', please watch the originals first!

In regards to the other Ringu movies, 'Rasen' & 'Ringu 2' are actually both direct sequels to 'Ringu'. However 'Rasen' performed so badly at the Japanese box office that it was basically ignored and the director of 'Ringu', Hideo Nakata, made 'Ringu 2' a year afterwards. I actually consider 'Ringu 2' the best of the trilogy, it definitely sent chills down my spine throughout the whole thing, even if it lacks the killer ending.

A pretty comprehensive review of 'Rasen' can be found over at lovehkfilm.com - http://www.lovehkfilm.com/panasia/rasen.html

For me 'Ringu 0' is a skip, Nakata was replaced with Norio Tsuruta, and it's the origin tale of Sadako. However 95% of the movie plays like one of the high school light weight domestic dramas that plague Japans cinemas these days, and even when it does get around to the horror element, it's nothing special.

Ringu 0 is waste of time.Ringu 2 is very good methinks,better than 1.

If you decide one day to watch american ring 2 take a notice it`s not remake of japanese film but has original storyline.And worth going through in my opinion.

I think there is a big possibilty that your experience was ruined by seeing the Hollywood version first

Yeah, I agree. I don't want to say 'ruined' but since I knew the story (from watching the US version) the Jap'n version didn't have any big surprises - I guess. Sounds like you two guys agree on R2, so that will be the one to watch next. Thx for the feedback...

ShaOW!linDude

It's been a few years since me and the Mrs. watched both "The Ring" and "Ringu". We loved both but thought "Ringu" was better as it delved into the past of the girl and (I think I'm remembering this correctly) explained that she was psychic and that contributed to her return after her death. To us that knowledge added to the credence of the story.

Morgoth Bauglir

I liked Ringu a lot. I've never seen The Ring. I don't remember a lot about the other 3 movies since I only watched them once 2 or 3 years ago and I didn't like them too much. My second favorite of the series is the prequel. Overall I was happy with this series. I got them in a box set at Wal Mart for $4 so it's hard for me to complain.

The Amazing Psycho Per
Now, its all subjective but I watched this original version and wasn't really all that impressed

I'm with you there... I remember when it played here at Fantasia festival (I believe it was in 99), it created a huge buzz and a tremandous amount of hype. I searched for the movie relentlessly and couldn't find it anywhere. Some video clubs where making private viewing of a raw copy but that's it. Expectations grew higher and higher... Then one day, I was able to finally find a subbed copy. I put it in, watched it, credit rolled and I said to myself: "...that's it?" Not that it's a bad film or anything, but I really don't it's worthy of it's huge reputation... On the other hand, I don't think any movie could've met the expections that built up...

Part 2 was pretty forgettable and that's where the Ringu adventure stopped for me. I had seen enough ghost-of-a-girl-with-long-hair-in-her-face movies.

Both The Ring and Ringu are highly overrated movies. The original drags and is overall a boring and forgettable movie. The Ring looks like a 90 minute Marylin Manson music video. I still miss those 90 minutes in my life I'll never get back.

The Eye was mentioned in this thread as well. The Eye (the original) is a far better movie than Ringu. Even the sequel is pretty decent though it strikes me more as a drama than a horror movie.

Ringu is one of my fav's and the original tape is far better then the hollywood version which is a joke,I got them all on dvd and to be honest,I actually liked Ring 0..sure it wasn't as good as the others,but i found a certain charm in it,maybe you have to be in the right mood.

kungfusamurai

Wasn't there also a korean Ring flick? I don't recall if it was a remake of the first or a spinoff/sequel.

KFS

DeathFuMaster
Wasn't there also a korean Ring flick? I don't recall if it was a remake of the first or a spinoff/sequel.

KFS

Yeah I think it was called The Ring Virus and it was adapted from the first novel.

Anyone seen the Ringu Anthology at Wal Mart recently for cheap? I seen it once last year and didn't get it, now that I want it, I haven't seen it anywhere for less than 30 bucks or more.

Archived